Gold Stock Ale | New England Brewing Co.

New England Brewing Co.
Connecticut, United States
newenglandbrewing.com

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

This one’s for the beer geek in all of us. The Gold Stock is a cult classic that’s offered up only one or two times a year. If you catch the rare sighting of this “draft only” beer, rejoice. What we did first when we made this was we brewed a full-bodied, golden ale. Then we went absolutely nuts with the pricey German hops. This smooth but biting beer is our own individual take on the pleasant India Pale Ale. It’s one of those beers you have to try. Look for it and order two!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-18-2001

On tap at Delaney's.

Some friends and I made the trip to Delaney's specifically to try the Goldstock.

Pours a clear, deep gold with a slight hint of amber. Leaves about 3/4 of bumpy white head that leaves its mark in sticky lacing as you go.

Nose is surprisingly subdued, but still has plenty of hoppy floral notes.

Taste is wonderful, with lots of hops playing about, but never getting too out of control. Bitterness is wonderfully balanced with an almost candied malt backing, making it very refreshing.

I ended up drinking two of these during my session, as nothing else on tap seemed as inviting as the memory of the goldstock.

If only the brewers could kill themselves and make this more regularly.

Eric-

Growler Into Duvel Tulip

A: golden (what a surprise) with tinges of amber color, nice carbonation and the aggressive pour produced a huge 3" head that took a long time to settle down, plenty of lacing splashed everywhere....beaUtiful

S: hops, hops, and hops- what makes this beer so unique (and craved after by CT BAs) is the unique hop profile. Using exclusively European Hops, Gold Stock has a great aroma that features distinctly earthy notes combined with the pine and citrusy-tangerine-orange notes. The oak chips are prominent in the nose as well, giving the beer a unique note.

T: The malt presence makes itself known with a balanced sweetness that combines deliciously with the boat load of hop flavors that come through. Similar notes to the nose, with the earthy hops giving the beer a unique taste. Oak substitutes for the malt profile, making the beer dry rather than sweet on the back end. Delicious, one of my favorite beers.

M: Good carbonation and the beer seems to be at one with my palate.

D: Higher than high. We are talking Cheech and Chong high here.

I love this beer and plan on filling every growler I own before the brewery shuts down the growler fills on this one. Maybe one day we can bribe Rob and Matt into canning this guy.

Note: They describe this one as a German IPA.

Growler into a Duvel tulip

A: Clear, bright orange-amber body underneath three fingers of dense, creamy tan foam; great retention and a decent amount of spotty lace. Straightforward and beautiful.

S: Pure, fresh, pungent Old World hops: spicy, earthy, and floral. The pure pale malt base doesn't even begin to make an appearance, but on the very tail end I'm picking up a distinct note of cotton candy - interesting. Overall, this is a wonderfully aromatic brew.

T: The malt backbone makes its presence felt up front with some generic sweetness, but the hops are still the focal point. Hugely earthy, lightly spicy, and generously bitter on the finish. Upon further reflection, the aftertaste blends the hops bitterness with a lightly tannic presence from the oaked fermentation. The oak also lends just a hint of vanilla. Overall, this tastes like a German IPA, if such a thing existed. Supremely balanced and as fresh as it comes (today was the first day that growlers of this batch were available). Awesome.

M: Smooth medium body, but pretty light on carbonation - a little too light.

D: I've just raced through my first glass, and am planning on killing the growler by myself. Let's see how that goes... Three glasses down now, and I'm still craving the next sip. This is gonna be a piece of cake. Hugely drinkable.

Notes: I was so eager to get to try this that I showed up, empty growlers in hand, a few hours before the beer was ready. 24 hours later, it was mine. 7 hours after that, I'm just about to kill the first growler (btw, my first solo growler assault). The description I got at the brewery was that this brew has a pure pale malt base underneath massive additions of purely European hops (Hallertaur, Tettnang, Saaz, etc.), and is fermented on oak chips. The result is a wonderfully fresh, balanced, and flavorful beer. If you get a chance to try this, don't pass it up.

Cheers!

UPDATE: It's fun to look back at this review, since it was of my very first encounter with this beer. Since then I've had several more gallons worth (including, one time, an entire gallon by myself, in one night). The only changes I'd make to my first impressions are updates on the differences between the 2010 and 2011 batches. 2011 was a bit lighter in color (while still presenting fantastic head retention and lacing), and much heavier on the oak and vanilla. While I missed the more hop-forward profile of the '10, I have to admit that the '11 was an even smoother, more balanced, and all-around better-integrated beer. The slight increase in oakiness also gave it a bump in terms of body, and I think I'll raise the mouthfeel score accordingly. Actually, I'm tempted to go ahead and give this beer 5s across the board, since it's just so damn delicious. I can't wait for next year!

4.71/5  rDev +9.8%

Light yellow-orange in color, with a cloudy poor. Whiffs of glorious citrus and herbal hops fortified with a little oak. On the tongue it starts off hoppy and bitter but leaves you with a moderate amount oak flavor, a tad of vanilla from the wood, and lingering hop citrus. The flavor to ABV ratio is off the charts. It's big flavors are unique and deliciously packed into a relatively low amount of alcohol that just begs you to have another!

4.67/5  rDev +8.9%

Thanks 1stbiermeister for the surprise appearance bearing a growler of this brew I have wanted to catch up to for some time. A worthy subject for my 200th review!!

Very hazy pale yellow color with a bone white head that doesn't last too long, but leaves a thin layer of foam and plenty of sticky lacing.

Pronounced and complex aroma - pear, melon, coconut leads into a big hoppy flavor. The flavor builds in a crescendo, starting with tropical fruits, building through resiny pine flavors, and topping off with a vanilla oakiness. Modestly bitter finish is really more spicy than bitter.

Mouthcoating medium body. Overall this is a very drinkable ale - a hop lovers delight, blending fruity and spicy hops with oaky vanilla notes. Rustic but well balanced, and certainly unique. I would definitely snag this one any chance I got.

I am not sure what an American Strong Ale is - the BA description says it is a "catch all" for ales > 7% abv. So how does this qualify at 6.5%? Maybe it is not bitter enough to be an IPA, but it is damn hoppy. Regardless, it is a nice beer and I rate it on its own merits.

4.64/5  rDev +8.2%

64 oz growler that I got at New England Brewing Company earlier today. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Violent-ish pour yields a half inch frothy white head that dissipates steadily leaving puzzle pieces of lacing. Pours a hazy yellow orange and leaves tight streaks of lacing.

Smell: Whoa, huge hop aroma bursts out of the growler after unscrewing the top.

This is one of those "Let's take a trip to the homebrew shop," beers, otherwise known as, "I like to smell/taste the ingredients that went into this," beers. In the glass, smelling the beer is like sticking your head into bag of fresh hops. There's an earthy melon character, along with Cascade citrus, pine, and some harder to pin down notes from the other hops.

Once your nose gets accustomed to the hop assault, it's time to stick your face into a bag of pale malt. New aromas coming out (some pastry dough), but I'm still squarely in the homebrew shop. The smell of this beer is so fresh and potent. With warmth, the hops (tangerine, melon, earth) come back along with the malt and the smell settles into harmonious perfection.

Taste: Up front, the taste is exactly the same as the pale malt in the aroma, proceeding to a piny, citrus bitterness, back to a smooth malty finish. The second sip brings out more of those smooth, earthy, melon-like hop flavors, with just a bit of oak influence coming out in the end. The same great balance and interplay continues throughout the glass.

Honestly, I've never tasted a beer like this. All the flavors/aromas are familiar to me, but never balanced this way and never with such an amazing "farm to table" like ingredient-oriented freshness. As others have mentioned, it really is IPA strength (German) hops, some decent west coast IPA-like bitterness and dryness in the finish, with a huge influence from the pale malt backbone and some great subtle notes from the oak. It's unique, but not gimmicky. It's just a really good idea that surprisingly hasn't been emulated more often.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Really mildly creamy and slightly resinous feel, with a dominating bitterness in the middle and mild dryness at the end.

Drinkability: I don't want to be too hokey or cliched, but this a real beer lover's beer. It's mindboggling to me that craft beer has taken off so successfully in the United States, yet beer that tastes like this is so uncommon. It is excellent. I only hope I can resist drinking the whole 64oz growler tonight.

There isn't much more to say in summary besides further gushing. I can count on two hands the number of beers in the past few years (out of several hundred) I've had that were this unique, and on one hand how many of those unique beers were even close to this good. Given how old this recipe is (about 20 years), it's just astonishing that there aren't more Gold Stock imitators. It goes without saying that I would love to see NEBCO bottle/can this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had the Cask Republic for R Moe Nay's 28th birthday celebration. A nice full golden pint with some generous white head. As I inhale I'm getting some really nice citric hops along with some earthy tones. Almost an herbal like quality reminiscent to an Arizona iced tea. Some very nice pine and citrus hops are hitting my tongue now. The hops really dominate for a strong ale - I love it! A nice dry, crisp mouthfeel that I have grown to love. I loved the way the hops came through in this ale. Very well done. At 6.5 percent I could not imagine this beer to be more drinkable. Awesome brewery doing big things.

4.57/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Pours a cloudy copper/orange color, producing a nice two finger creamy white head. It had minimal lacing as the beer was consumed.

S: Tons o' hops, very piney... not sure that I have really ever smelled anything like this before, not that this is dramatically different than other beers, but there is something unique to it. Overall, it smells great.

T: Starts off with a nice hop bite, very tangy citrusy taste. It then morphs into a really nice smooth finish, leaving a wonderful after taste in your mouth.

M: Very smooth, almost creamy... good amount of carbonation.

D: This is very drinkable and has a very acceptable ABV of 6.5%. I could drink this all night.

Note: It really is a shame that this beer is only available in bars or growler fills at NEBCO and that it is only brewed once a year. This is a true gem.

4.54/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love everything's about this beer an like many others, wish it was brewed during the summer.

Nose is amazing, look is so cloudy yet almost glowing. Smell is fresh w IPA notes. Taste is smooth an a balance of wood hops and just a GOLDen taste.

Ct doesn't have much but I'll put nebco against anyone! Boom!

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

64oz growler I picked up 3 days ago from the NEBco. Pours a hazy amber color with a thin head that disappears quickly. Not much lacing. Great aroma. Pine, hops, sweetness, and a hint of tropical fruits (namely pineapple?). There is a lot of flavor here. Nice blend of piney hops, tropical fruits, and a great bitter bite. A bit floral as well. Pretty smooth and easily quaffed. Wasn't sure how well it would keep in my growler. Not a lot of carbonation but there is enough. When I tried the plastic sample cup at the brewery I couldn't believe how tasty it was. Now I'm really glad I paid $10 for a growler. Such a deal. Outstanding beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

64oz growler thanks to Mr. ubufan2112, I owe ya for this one.

Poured into Firestone Walker pint glass.

A- Hazy gold/brown, dull in low light and vibrant with some light behind it. 1cm dense head settles into a dense outer ring of bubbles on the pint glass.

S- Pine sap comes off the top.

T- Bitter, earthy, herbal hops. A fantastic crispness that I was not expecting. Almost refreshing. Pale malt balances the earthy bitterness fantastically. The hops come on as bitter and earthy, also grassy and a bit spicy.

M- Great carbonation, balance, body, I am floored. 5 of 5.

D- High. One of the most unique beers I've ever had- they don't make 'em like this. A strong 6.5% ale that kicks ass- I need more!

4.49/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.48/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

L: Pours a nice cloudy golden color with a tall and thick off white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet toasted malts, a big earthy, spicy, citrus-y hop aroma follows with a hint of something sweet at the end.
T: Tastes like it smells with a nice sweet toasted malt base followed by a slightly sweet taste and then a nice medley of earthy, spicy, citrus-y hops with a pretty clean finish.
M: Very smooth, slightly warming maybe more relaxing, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this pint was done with ease and joy. With much less abv than most of the strong ales out there this was a nice break from them.

4.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Great refreshing beer. First time having it. Waited in line for an hour at the brewery for it. Well worth it. So glad I live 10 mins away from the brewery.

Gold Stock Ale from New England Brewing Co.