Beamish Irish Stout | Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout
3.8/5
Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc.
Ireland
beamish.ie

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

Very good stout. Comparable to Guinness but creamier. Beamish is hard to find I've only had it twice on draft: At Ryan's Daughter in Baltimore and at Meehan's locations in Georgia. It's also available in cans at package stores in Georgia. I asked a local pub in Arlington, VA why they don't have it and got the reply "Ireland doesn't like us enough".

Hands down my favorite Stout.

The perfect dry stout, and near perfection in a beer. Black and wonderfull with that excellent thick head. Nice malt and mocha coffee aroma. Bitter sweet flavor, full and creamy yet with a nice dryness in the finish that keeps you drinking. Not as sharp as guinness with this wonderfull complex nutty/chocolate finish...Mmmmmm

You have to have this one on tap, the cans do no justice to it. And for the beer at it peak, ya gotta have it in Ireland..

On tap this beer beats out Guinness easily in my book.

What an incredible stout. Love it so much

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

Ireland's finest stout, much nicer than Guinness. I could drink a dozen of these and still want more. Personally I find it more refreshing and easier to drink than the world famous Guinness. If in Ireland, I would reccomend buying one of these before Guinness, they are just as widely availible as the other legendary stout. It is famous for being slightly cheaper too. I wouldn't buy this from a can or bottle though, completely different drink.

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

now this is Ireland's top dog. the best of the best. black with a thick sticky white head, smells once again like a good pub should. the taste is, for lack of a better way to say it, what irish stout is supposed to taste like. the mouth-feel is also perfect, and it is chug-able as stout gets without being watery. if you see this beer and pass it up, you should probably seek counseling.

4.81/5  rDev +26.6%

I'm going to break the rules. I'm rating this on the beer that I made from the Beamish recipe. I make this beer about 40% of the time that I brew. I'd love to taste the real thing some time. Murphy's is a bit sweet for me (but still good). Guinness is a bit tart (but still good). The Beamish recipe give a coffee aftertaste. Most of my friends say that this is the best beer that I brew.

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

A: Pitch black with a tan head that lasts forever. A wonderful looking stout. It's been 10 minutes since I poured it, and it still has a full finger of foam.

S: A nice roasted malt smell. No alcohol noticeable.

T: Great roasted caramel malt flavor with a background of smoke. Alcohol is present, but perfectly balanced. Bits of coffee in the background.

M: Astringent, but just enough. Carbonation is good for the style. Just syrupy enough to be delicious.

D: I could drink so many of these. Much better than Guinness in my opinion (dodges bullets).

4.8/5  rDev +26.3%

Served from a nitro tap into a pint glass.
Aroma: The aroma is espresso-like roasted barley with hints of cocoa. You’ll be surprised by how strong the aroma is from this relatively low alcohol session beer, truly amazing.
Appearance: Pours with a thick, creamy, light brown head that collapses only slightly and last until the bottom of the glass leaving rings of brown lace along the way. The color is an opaque black with dark brown highlights.
Flavor: The flavor is a mouth filling wave of roasted grain, dry with medium hop bitterness that does not interfere with the roasted barley flavor. Espresso and cocoa linger into a dry finish.
Mouthfeel: Creamy medium-light body with low carbonation.
Overall Impression: This beer is a show case of what can be done with unmalted barley. The roasted barley give a wonderful roasted espresso, cocoa flavor and the flaked barley in combination with the nitrogen draft gives a lush creamy character.
Comments: If Guinness is the benchmark, this stout exceeds the mark on all accounts but one; the lactic acid sourness. I know my Irish cousins will scream heresy, but in all honesty, this beer is better than Guinness and makes Murphy’s seem like a poor excuse for stout. The only thing I can think of that would make this beer better is a good soft lactobacillus culture.

4.76/5  rDev +25.3%

this is one of my favorite stouts. an amazing cascading head that is very creamy and stays even after the beer is gone. rich chocolately flavors with coffee and some caramel. it doesnt leave any unpleasantness in your throat like some other irish stouts. even when drank out of a nitro-can, which usually kills most aromas and some flavor, it still tastes great and has decent aromas. a must try for any fan of guinness.

4.71/5  rDev +23.9%

rivals murphys for the best in ireland. rains up and pours looking like an oreo missing the top cookie. smooth, thick, creamy, malty, and a little more grainy than its fellow irish brews. honestly if you put beamish and murphys in a glass most people would not be able to taste the difference, but wait for that little grainy mouth feel in the aftertaste and youll catch it. great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Tasted this in various pubs in Cork, Ireland. Be sure to drink this in pubs like the Welcome Inn to get the full Irish experience.

Lots more taste than Guinness. And yes, it is better than Murphy's.

That said, Guinness is ok for a night of drinking, but Beamish is Stout how it's ment to be.

Buy it. Buy it now.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

This is such a yummy beer. The taste reminds me of carob. The head is very creamy, and lasts the entire time, much like a Guinness Draught. Very easy to drink. The flavor lends itself to being served cold (as opposed to some lesser beers that need to be served cold simply to mask their weakness). I definitely recommend this.

4.63/5  rDev +21.8%

I have been waiting for this to come back for a while.

A- very nice dark almost jet black with a thick creamy head

S- a little malty not much hops, really not too much in the smell department

T- burnt coffe , some faint chocolate not as much as I remember from before the break.Good balance of malt against just enough bitterness. Very good stout

M- silky smooth and even somewhat thin

D- Very Very high in my opinion, this is my all time favorite dry stout from Ireland. Better than Guinness to me and highly sessionable.

4.61/5  rDev +21.3%

A - Poured from a nitro tap into a pint glass. Black/dark brown in color, with a thick creamy off-white head. Left a lacing down the glass as it was consumed.

S - Clean smelling, with roasted coffee notes.

T - Smooth and easy drinking. Coffee/roasted notes without any astringency. A hint of bitterness to balance out the malt.

M - Creamy with medium body.

D - Very drinkable. Smooth and balanced enough to have more than one.

4.61/5  rDev +21.3%

Nitro can poured into a glass.

A- Pretty show. Nice full finger tannish head. Totally black. Dark as all get out. Slightly Reddish if you really look at it in the light. Perfect head. Perfect show. Sits like a beautiful painting.

S- Smell was like a malted carmel chocholate grown up drink. Slightly alcohol smell.

T- Good lord. What should I say. Its a straight forward Stout. Hints of chocolate. Malted grainy. Balanced with the alcohol taste. This is pretty much as good as it gets in my book. Not so coffee taste like Guinness.

M- Thick. Not super syrupy. Tasty. As close to perfect as it goes.

D- I drank one last night to become aquainted with it for this rating. And I drank one before the review and Im just now sipping the second. Perfect. Its extremely easy to drink. I drank this one slightly warmer than the last. And its hard to not drink in before it gets to that perfect temperature. Good warmer. Brings out the notes of chocolate. I could drink a 4 pack easily. Heavy though... :)

I bought a 4 pack for roughly $6.99.

I will buy this whenever I see it. Its rare here in the MO area. But Id beg for change till I got enough.

*Holds cardboard sign says: Needs change for Beamish. -God bless you*

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm going to write a short review for this one because not much needs to be said except this: "it's a stout as a stout should be." Take Guinness, and make it what you think it should be. Now you have a Beamish. I would give the Murphy's a bit of a higher score for more flavor but otherwise, this stout is very good.

Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.