Beamish Irish Stout | Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc.
Ireland
beamish.ie

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

3.8

3.42/5  rDev -10%

Pours from the can with the characteristic cascading nitrogen creamy light brown head, but more so than the Murphy's that I poured last night. The beer is a deep brown almost black color. The aroma is subtle with its notes of chocolate, and sweet grain. The feel of this is creamy smooth as it hits my tongue, but finishes with a bit of astringency and bitterness. The taste has notes of chocolate, subtle coffee, which as it warms up begins to become quite a bit more apparent. Again this is fairly light and could certainly use a bit more roasted malt to pick up the flavor a bit.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at the crown belfast, on st patricks day...a pound a pint (and the majority of punters still bought guinness....wtf? £2.70 or £1 for a better but similar stout??)

Pours with a dark chocolatly body, thick tan nitro head sits atop, good retention

Smell, roasted malt, some turkish delight, sweetness

Taste, bitterness on the initial tasting, some roasted malt, sweetness follows

A pretty good nitro stout, better than guinness and slightly above murphys

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My Irish Stout review for St. Patty's day, 2005.

Because of the nitro widget in the can, this pours what I believe is a beautiful black waterfall of dark-chocolate-based chocolate milk, too beautiful to describe. Say what you will about the benefits of these widgets on the beer, but it is pretty to watch.

Once the creamy carbonation settles a bit, this has a very nice, very nice off white thick head sitting on top of black black blackness...

Aroma is slightly sweet, coffeeish (not bitter coffee, mellow coffee with sugar and cream in it), roasty, pleasant.

Flavor is roasty, creamy, coffee-like. Not much of chocolate, maybe dark bittersweet chocolate- definitely not sweet milk chocolate. More bitter from hops than expected, but nice.

Mouthfeel a little thin, but overall a good thing. I can drink this one, but as with all stouts I have tried, one is usually enough in a session.

4.27/5  rDev +12.4%

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

This is my beer of choice tonight to celebrate the holiday. Beamish is my favorite of the big three - I would take it over a Guinness or a Murphy's any day. Very similar, but slightly more roasted malt flavors, and just more aroma and flavor in general.

All in all a great session beer and a nice companion for the holiday!

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

The widget explodes and a gushing of chocolate milk-esqe liquid arrives. After a simply beautiful cascade, it settles to a pitch black body with a tan head. The nose is full of roasted malt. The flavor is all dry roasted malt. This is more on style than Guinness and overall a much better St. Paddy's day choice. At 4.1%, one can drink this all day. Erin go braugh!

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

Another Irish Stout

Appearance-pitch black on the pour, a very nice head foams up and sticks around, eventually evening out as it simmers, a nice lookin stout.

Smell-bitter undertones of coffee and chocolate, almost a smoky layer underneath, slight twitches of alcohol permeate as well.

Taste-sweeter than Guinness, full on with chocolate hitting the palette, a little coffee as well, sweeter than the others, flavorful though.

Mouthfeel-its a dry Irish so it's pretty much like you would expect from Guinness or Murphy's, although perhaps a little bit thinner than them? Leaves a bitter aftertaste of coffee/chocolate.

Drinkability-at only 4.10% you can have as much as you want, although your stomach should eventually get full, as stout's tend to do.

Overall-a nice stout especially on tap, sweeter than Guinness or Murphy's but most certaintly comparable to them in quality and appearance. Not a bad stout at all, actually quite good, if you like Guinness, give this one a try sometime, you just may find yourself surprised.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Saw this is in the store on sale so I figured I would give it a try. Pours nice, good color, nice head. Rich smell that reminds me of other stouts I have had. Very nice black appearance. Reminds me of Guinness, but maybe a little lower on the scale. Very good for the price, however. Very smooth, nice on the palate, though I may have had it a touch too cold. Overall I enjoyed. Go for it if you like stouts.

3.16/5  rDev -16.8%

From the can: a typical, unremarkable nitro-induced head on top of an obsidian body. Nice lace, though…thick, coating, and foamy. Aroma is faint, but has a burnt-grain and charcoal character. Fairly dry, with a roasted (but weak) coffee flavor. I thought that it was sort of one-dimensional…no real complexity at all. Body seemed awfully light, and almost watery. I certainly like my stouts to have more character and personality.

3.59/5  rDev -5.5%

Doesn't really stand out from Murphy's or Guinness.

A bit sweeter on the front end with a nice creamy mouth complements of the nitro tap. Looks and smells no different, but the after taste is less dry and easier to palate.

Not bad, now if I could find some cans around here I may pick it up instead of Guinnes or Murphys.

3.41/5  rDev -10.3%

Black like it should be. Nice cascading as it formed the thick, tan, never ending 1" head that is typical of the style when poured from a nitro can.

Smells of cocoa and roasted malt. There's some milk chocolate in the end.

The taste doesn't offer too much in the begining. It almost starts off like skim milk and finishes with a subtle roasted malt, slight notes of cocoa, and a touch of a generic hop.

Not a lot of mouthfeel, but this is a good session beer. Would really like to try it on tap.

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

My experience with this beer comes from an Irish Pub in center city Philly... I've had Beamish two times and each time I have had it, it leaves me wanting more. It is honestly the best stout I have ever had. After an early experience with Guiness and not quite liking that, I thought I would never enjoy a stout again. But this certainly proved me wrong.

The bar tender brought it over and it was a cloudy dark brown/black looking to start. The cloudiness majestically rolled up the glass forming a nice thick foamy head. The smell I got was of coffee/chocolate with a nice smokey undertone. The first taste is by far the best. The combination of the taste of the creamy head and then the dark rich stout is a symphony in the mouth. It hits your mouth and you do not want to put it down. Its very smooth and extremely satisfying. A bit bitter but nothing unbearable. The bitterness fades into a beautiful chocolate aftertaste that is just fantastic.

This stout is reccomended for those who do not like a real bitter tasting beer. There is a bitter taste but it is very slight,and very enjoyable. The aftertaste is really to die for.

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

Came in a 16 oz. nitro can; served in a pint glass.

Pours black with slight red hues. Has a thick, never-ending tan head. Leaves lots of thick tan lace. Smells of very faint chocolate and coffee. Tastes nice and sweet, like chocolate mixed with coffee. Has a creamy, medium-bodied texture. Not very carbonated at all. Extremely drinkable.

This is a true Irish beer. This stuff has an amazing appearance. A better cascading effect than any Guinness I've had, and has a thicker, creamier head. It doesn't have much of a scent to it though, but that's a minor complaint. It's really sweet, in a good way, and is so damn drinkable. I could have it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

This beer poured a dark brown color with no real head to speak or. The nose was sonewhat weak, with touches of roasted malt and chocolate in there. The flavor was a bit bland, slightly roasty and slightly chocolate, but overall lacking. The feel was almost watery thin...lacking again. Overall, this beer was not up to what I had hoped. The flavors were thin as was the feel. Eh.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Although I'm a bit leary of anything in a can, I shouldn't have worried. A nice beginning - a big cloud of foam slams down into the bottom of the glass. Roiling up and very slowly fading to almost black. Whiffs of coffee and cocoa and roasted malt, but very clean smelling. I'm not sure what I mean by that, but there it is.

Nice mildly bitter front end, a wash of malt, mocha or coffee at the back end and you're ready for the next sip. Not complex but well balanced and utterly tasty. Rolls around in the mouth beautifully and very drinkable.

Can't wait to find this on tap somewhere. I'm ready to hand in my Guinness card....

3.71/5  rDev -2.4%

Beamish pours in the typical nitro-can manner: brown and quite bubbly while pouring, then rapidly separates into a black, opaque body and a thick, light brown head that is retained throughout the glass. The smell is muted due to the nitro, but Beamish smells rather malty, with caramel and roasted notes.

The roasted malt flavor is evident straight away on this beer, with a bit of caramel as well. The bitterness quickly becomes evident, but not overpoweringly so. The mouthfeel seems to be a bit thicker and not quite as dry as, say, Guinness (although it is still fairly light); the beer finishes fairly clean and leaves a mildly bitter aftertaste.

In my opinion, Beamish is slightly better overall than a certain more famous Irish stout; it just seems to be a bit more "substantial" in taste and feel. A classic example of a dry stout.

3.18/5  rDev -16.3%

A soft white head over opaque black with consistent sheathing action.

The brew was cold- maybe too cold, but even with some time I could not coax anything but a mild earthy-malt aroma.

The drink is smooth and silky. The beer is well made but I fear the style is putting me to sleep.

I used to relish a Guinness tap.

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm going to write a short review for this one because not much needs to be said except this: "it's a stout as a stout should be." Take Guinness, and make it what you think it should be. Now you have a Beamish. I would give the Murphy's a bit of a higher score for more flavor but otherwise, this stout is very good.

4.12/5  rDev +8.4%

The appearance is flawless. The contrast of the thick tan head and deep black body is visually appealing. The smell was rather faint (I don't have the greatest nose) and it didn't impress me as being particularly good or bad.
The taste is smooth, (I have an adept mouth) with a very pleasant bitterness that reminds me of burnt toast. The middle palate is nice and it finishes with a superb kick.
I am a fan of stout to begin with, so my review might be a bit biased in that respect, but I have to say that Beamish is hard to beat.

3.19/5  rDev -16.1%

Wow does this thing look like a piece of artwork when poured properly. The "widget" in the can gets this thing excited and pours out a beautiful, creamy, pitch black stout. The head was thick enough to lose your keys in. The taste was nice, but a little thin. I was getting a very metallic aftertaste from this. The roasted malt was almost taken over by the off-taste. I believe that I may have an older can and that a fresh pint of this would be fantastic. This is a decent slow sipper.

2.44/5  rDev -35.8%

One pint nitro can, with widget, practically explodes with foam upon opening, frothing down the sides of the can and all over my table. After a couple of minutes, there is a dark brown, opaque body with a creamy tan head that settles at one inch in height and lasts all the way to the finish. Sticky patch lace is all over the imperial pint glass.
Aroma is weak, with mild roasted malts and hints of cocoa and coffee.
Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy, but very light bodied with low carbonation. Lacks the full and rich body that I recall this had on draft in County Cork, a few years ago.
Taste disappoints. Not much in the flavor department, with mild roasted dark malts and minimal bitterness. Slightly bitter on the finish, but flavor is otherwise lacking.
I've found the widget infused cans and bottles from Ireland and England to be hit or miss. This one is a big miss, bearing little similarity to the taste, body, and aroma of a freshly drawn pint in the country of origin. Looks very pretty in the pint glass, but that's the only redeeming feature.

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

An excelent alternative to Guinness. Beamish poured simmilar to Guinness with its creamy black body and nice fluffy brown head. The smell was on par for the style with a nice hint of coffee on the nose. The taste was better than Guinness in my opinion as it had a nice coffee bite in the aftertaste and was a bit sweeter all around. A good Irish dry stout and definantly worth a try.

3.89/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured an impressive black body, with a thick creamy nitro head. A finger of foam persisted throughout.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't get much aroma from this. Just a hint of toasted grain.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, thick and creamy. Chocolate notes, hints of coffee, dry after taste. Roasty, sweet and a great drinkable stout. Good bitterness at the end.

Much preferred over guinness.

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

Ok, I just reviewed Guinness from the tap and considering I had Beamish many times on tap as well, I thought it be important to compare the two. Beamish on-tap is nowhere near Guinness. It lacks much flavor other than a slight bitter chocolate flavor and a strong astringency in the finish. Grainy bitterness is strong as well. This one is better from the nitro can imo. When given the choice, always choose Guinness.

look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

I think someone woke up one morning and said "I'm gonna make a beer that tastes like kissing Patty and Selma."

The description of this on the menu sounded quite inviting, but man, was I disappointed.

This beer looks great - black with black highlights and a little more black thrown in for good measure. With maybe a slight redness to it.

But it smelled like tobacco. And it tasted like it, too. Being a non-smoker, this is not a good thing. In fact, it was downright gross.

I don't mean it was smoky. I like a good smoke beer. I mean it tasted like old cigarettes. You know the taste donuts get when they've been sitting in a smoke-filled donut shop for hours? It was like that. And it smelled like a grungy old bar when you open it up after the weekend.

I choked down about a third of this before I finally gave up and handed it to my bass player. He seemed to enjoy it. But he'll drink anything that's free and wet.

Bass players. Go figure.

3.73/5  rDev -1.8%

Sampled from the 16 oz can with nitrogen widget.

On the pour this is indisdinguishable from Guinness. Jet black body with a light tan head formed from the cascading nitorgen bubbles. Head is thick and rententive.

Aroma of smoked oats, barley, and light hops. Notes of chocolate and wood throughout.

Falls a little flat in the taste. Blander than Guiness, with notes of smoke and coffee. The roasted grains are obvious. Tasty, but it lacks something. Aftertaste is distracting - was my glass used as an ashtray before I poured? Mouthfeel is creamy but thin.

Overall, not bad. The Scot in me might choose this over Guinness if there were a large difference in price, but beyond that I'll stick with Guinness.

Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.