Beamish Irish Stout | Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc.
Ireland
beamish.ie

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

3.8

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

A- Dark black color, non-transparent, 2 finger thick nitro head that slowly lowered to a thin cover

S- Coffee, chocolate, milky, roasted malts

T- Dark chocolate, dark coffee, milky, slightly smokey flavor, light bitter finish

M- Heavy weight, low/medium carbonation, nice nitro smoothness

D- Always a great stout

This will always be one of my favorite stouts. Never disappoints me no matter where I get it.

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

...vs. Guinness Pub Draught in nitro-can. Wow! Pours black, with a thick two-finger off white head. Had to hold it up to the lamp to get any hint of ruby.

Smell is faint roasted malts. Taste is roasted malts, dark chocolate, traces of mocha. Extremely faint hints of can and nitro, not like Guinness in a can (which almost tastes over cooked). Thick, whereas Guinness cames off as rather thin. Smooth, tasty and enjoyable to drank. Easy to down a few of these.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

This beer, like any other nitro-can brew, looks great. Ink-black with the faintest ruby notes at the bottom of the glass. Beautiful, thick, tan pancake head that lingers forever with sparse lacing (probably because I drink the stuff down so fast it doesn't have a chance to stick to the glass). At the bottom of my (ahem!) Guinness pint glass, I still had a 1 1/2" head. Carbonation is mild. Could I tell the difference between Beamish, Murphy's and Guinness in a blind tasting? Sure, but I'd have to cross-train my tastebuds with some malt push-ups and and roasted barley sit-ups. This beer smells rich with roasted grains and coffee, and is probably closer in aroma to Guinness than Murphy's. The mouthfeel is luxuriously smooth, soft, and creamy with a medium body...highly drinkable. Uniquely, this brew has a definite roasted barley graininess, is clean of any metallic overtones, has a slightly more astringent black patent finish and mellower finishing hops. Starts with distinct roasted barley, fades into a mild malt background, and ends with both astringent black patent malt and perfectly balanced, smooth bittering hops. A subtle smoke and cigar ash note is detected towards the finish. Delicious...recommended over Guinness for it's subtle complexity.

4.56/5  rDev +20%

What can I say, I love this beer. Poured from a nitro can into a Guinness (what else?) pint glass. Pours the with the typical nitro cascading and settling into a dark brown-black, nearly opaque, beer with an super nice and creamy tan head. Coffee hints in the aroma. Excellent mouthfeel, very creamy, I think more so than its twin brother Guinness. Taste is chocolate, coffe and roasted malt with only a slight bitterness - again with the bitter bite and sourness of its twin. The creamy, slightly sweet aftertaste lingers. The lacing on this beer is amazing. What else to say, if you like Irish Souts, you will not be disappointed. Just as good as good ol' Guiness, but different is also better.

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance - Dark chocolate-brown in color. Poured with a one-finger tan dense head that remained for what could very well be years. Very find light carbonation. Fills and settles like a Guinness.

Smell - Woody aroma with a good malt presence. Very muted aroma. Doesn't really jump out at you.

Taste - Very malty taste. Not a whole lot of carbonation to detract (or add for that matter) to the overall offering. Smooth finish as well with a very light bite. Almost none actually to speak of. pull.

Mouthfeel - Very dense body to this beer with it all coming from the beer itself and not from the carbonation. Always a benefit.

Drinkability - When you drink a Beamish you can help but compare it to a Guinness. You shouldn't, but you do, for good reason. Both, in my opinion are fine examples of the style. In my opinion, I would drink a Beamish over a Guinness if given the choice. Goes down very smooth and leaves you wanting more. I find the finish of the Beamish to be what wins me over.

4.54/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big light tan head falls through itself into a clear black colored stout.

Rich roasted to smokey roasted malt aroma.

The taste is the same think smokey roasted coffee and chocolate mixed malts. A very full bodied beer with a nice head that settles into a very nice lacing.

A pleasant dry roasted coffeeish aftertaste.

Now this is beer, damn good stuff, I got to try this with a scoop of Ice Cream, probably end up being my favorite dessert.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

This was an exceptional beer for me especially on st pats day in Chicago.

it had a very dark color almost midnight black with a hint of red in the light.
The smell was the same as a guiness or any other dry stout. A light malty smell with well the sense that it is mass produced.
The taste was exceptional and smooth it is not to far above guiness but if you like that then you will love this. Guess i am a little biased since i have irish roots.
The mouth feel was amazing also just smooth and not bitter with just a touch of carbonation makes for an easy beer to just hold and enjoy.

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.52/5  rDev +18.9%

I'm not by any means a professional reviewer. I'm just writing this review, because I want people to try this excellent stout if they are in Ireland. You can't get it in our country at all (you can get Guinness on tap just fine).

I had this everyday for two weeks while I was in Dublin, and it's pretty much one of the main reasons why I would want to go back.

A: It looks simply awesome. Deep brown/blackish with a semi thick head.
S: You can smell ground coffee mostly, it's not very distinct.
T: It's never watery, always full taste with freshly brewed coffee in the back, retains the taste all through the pint.

I was expecting Guinness to steal the show, because I heard it was much better in Ireland, but that just wasnt' the case. It didn't taste any different then at home. Beamish is a stellar Irish Stout, and probably the best local beer you can have. Don't miss it.

I'm sorry if my review wasn't any good, It's just a layman's opinion.

4.51/5  rDev +18.7%

What could be better in 95 degree heat than an Irish Stout? On draft at Branagan's in Fullerton, it has that trademark nitro-stout look to it. Not as rich in coffee flavor as I remembered it from the can, but more addictive on draft for some reason. Just like Murphy's on draft, if I had a bigger wallet, I could line the bar with empty pint glasses.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours out a dark ruby (almost black body) with a moderate sized, creamy nitro head. Leaves some nice lacing. Nose is kind of light from the nitro, but there is a nice presence of roast, dried fruit and a little hint of smoke. Taste really blows Guinness and Murphy's out of the water. I get chocolate, dried fruit, smoke, ash, coffee and wet, sweet tobacco. For what it is it does its job well. Mouthfeel isn't as creamy as the other nitro stouts (which IMO is a plus as it doesn't have such an artificial feel). There really aren't many bubbles on the tongue. Great drinkability. This has always been my preference amongst the 3 big nitro stouts.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

We totally received a case of this by mistake at the ABC where I work so I took it as a sign from the beer gods to go ahead and give this one a try. Served it slighty chilled in my Samuel Smith pub glass. Poured a powerful midnight black color with a rapid expanding cocoa brown head. Smell was of roasted malts with some cocoa powder and brewed coffee. Taste was smooth as silk (thank you nitrogen bubbles) with heavy baker's chocolate in the front and light, sweet, roasted malts on the dry finish. I could see knocking back a few of these on St. Pat's day.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Tough to find these days. Great, wonderful, spectacular Irish beer. I love it anyway I can get it. Nice change from Guinness and Murphy's just cause, why not? Was my first pint in Ireland at the Shannon airport directly off the red eye flight from Boston. Instant love with this beer. Not as available, really anyway compared to Guinness or Murphy's but that is what you beer snob dweebs are pretty much into, yeah? Go out getcha some Beamish!!! (If you can find it! And let me know where in the US it was found!)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Dispensed from a 16oz nitro can into an imperial pint glass. A dense, creamy, pale white head forms on top of a not quite opaque black beer. The darkest ruby is visible at the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is toasted malts and cereal; bready. Coffee is present as well as the slightest hop aroma.

Taste is wonderful. Creamy and smooth. Slightly bitter. Tastes like a coffee with milk. Very delicious. Cereal is noticeable. Very bready and doughy.

Full bodied and silky smooth. Heavy mouthfeel, almost like a meal in itself. Maybe this will be my dinner. I actually like this much more than Guinness. Seems more complex and more flavorful. Dry finish. A treat indeed. If it is like Guinness, it is very drinkable due to lower alcohol and low carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.