Beamish Irish Stout | Beamish & Crawford Plc.

Beamish Irish StoutBeamish Irish Stout

Beamish & Crawford Plc.
Ireland
beamish.ie

Style: Irish Dry Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2001

3.8

4.55/5  rDev +19.7%

Appearance - Dark chocolate-brown in color. Poured with a one-finger tan dense head that remained for what could very well be years. Very find light carbonation. Fills and settles like a Guinness.

Smell - Woody aroma with a good malt presence. Very muted aroma. Doesn't really jump out at you.

Taste - Very malty taste. Not a whole lot of carbonation to detract (or add for that matter) to the overall offering. Smooth finish as well with a very light bite. Almost none actually to speak of. pull.

Mouthfeel - Very dense body to this beer with it all coming from the beer itself and not from the carbonation. Always a benefit.

Drinkability - When you drink a Beamish you can help but compare it to a Guinness. You shouldn't, but you do, for good reason. Both, in my opinion are fine examples of the style. In my opinion, I would drink a Beamish over a Guinness if given the choice. Goes down very smooth and leaves you wanting more. I find the finish of the Beamish to be what wins me over.

4.3/5  rDev +13.2%

I figured I'd try a dry stout other than Guinness. Glad I did!

Poured darn near pitch black with the slightest hint of ruby at the bottom of the glass. Big mocha head of foam thanks to the Widget! Lasted all the way through with lacing.

Smell was mildly of coffee and cocoa.

Prominant yet mild coffee taste with that creamy stout head creating a super smooth milkshake type mouthfeel despite this being a fairly thin bodied brew. Nice.

Finish was smooth with more coffee notes. Not alot of carbonation.

Very enjoyable brew. I hope rumors of Newcastle stopping import of this are not true.

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%

Pours out a very deep black, with only minor hints of ruby-red at the edges of my pint glass. Nitro bubblies take a while to settle, and are bigger and whiter than is typical for the nitro-draft poured stout. Eventually settles into a tight and thick head which lasts the entire pint and leaves rings of lace the whole way down. Smell is typically underwhelming, roasted malt and light chocolate, and the flavour profile follows. Slightly bitter, with a dry bite in the background, but not quite so bitter as the other big Irish stouts. Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and just a little too thin, and drinkability is fantastic. My personal favourite of the three popular Irish Dry Stouts, but it's nothing to write home about.

3.74/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: This is solid black in color that has a small, off-white, creamy head. Very appealing to look at.

Smell: Has a bit of a roasted malt smell, similar to a coffee smell, but it's a little bland. Almost watered down in smell.

Taste: Has a solid roasted malt flavor without being too heavy on a coffee or chocolate flavor. Quite good.

Mouthfeel: A little thinner than I was expecting, but very smooth and "soft" on the tongue.

Drinkability: This is definitely worth a try, and it's certainly something I could get again. I was quite satisfied.

4.06/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black as Guiness, but a much richer flavor. I didn't find the smell particularly persuasive. However, the taste makes up for this. There are definite coffee tones. The mouthfeel is incredibly smooth. You might as well be drinking water. As a result this beer is has a high drinkability.

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500 ml nitrocan imported into Canada. Purchased at the Beer Store in Sarnia Ontario tasting date 041704. Very deep black color with a light brown creamy nitrogenated head. Nose is very dry with big roastiness. Mouthfeel is dry, very nice, then comes a big roasted, fresh ground coffee flavor. finish is long and dry and invites you to drink more.

4.16/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a nitro can, do I need to even state how gorgeous this brew looks? Cascading foaminess thanks to the nitro can, the head is three quarters of an inch of heavy cream, tan -- dense -- with a solid black body. Smell: Grainy sweetness upfront, slightly sour through the middle -- pleasantly sour -- closing on almost a shrill yet subtle smokiness. Taste: Creamy sweetness from the top that falls down into a thin, rusty bitterness, as the sweet creaminess -- this "creaminess" no doubt has everything to do with the mouthfeel, which is unbelievably silky and dense, and lovely -- spreads out in the background. The finish is a slight black coffee bitterness, maybe even a subtle sprinkle of cocoa powder -- the thin hop bitterness is still present and lingers not unpleasantly. Middling carbonation. I dig it.

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

Although I'm a bit leary of anything in a can, I shouldn't have worried. A nice beginning - a big cloud of foam slams down into the bottom of the glass. Roiling up and very slowly fading to almost black. Whiffs of coffee and cocoa and roasted malt, but very clean smelling. I'm not sure what I mean by that, but there it is.

Nice mildly bitter front end, a wash of malt, mocha or coffee at the back end and you're ready for the next sip. Not complex but well balanced and utterly tasty. Rolls around in the mouth beautifully and very drinkable.

Can't wait to find this on tap somewhere. I'm ready to hand in my Guinness card....

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass at Paddy's Pub in Milwaukee, WI. The body was black with a thick off-white head. The aroma was faint, but smelled of sweet chocolate and cream. Light bodied with a creamy mouthfeel. Flavors of sweet malt, but also a roasted malt finish. Very good drinkability.

3.21/5  rDev -15.5%

This stout poured the most beautiful cascading tan foam that turned into a wonderful and long lasting head and a wonderful full black stout beneath. The aroma was of roasted malts – very earthy. The taste was smooth with a slight bite at the end, but nothing very distinguishable. I usually do not go for stout, but decided to give this one a go and was not impressed. In short, the appearance was great, but the flavor was very bland.

2.72/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: Always love the look of a good nitro-poured stout. A bit of translucent dark ruby around the edges.
S: First stout I've smelled (excepting a bad bottle of a cream stout) that wasn't pleasant. Smelled earthy and like a cheap red wine, which was good. But it had some sort of funky smell on top of this that I couldn't place.
T: I think that I hope/expect stouts to be thick and full of flavor. First started drinking them living over in the UK and didn't realize that the same brews (e.g., Guinness) are significantly more watery and less flavorful in the US. This beer was pretty watery and the main flavor I could detect was of earthy pine.
M: Again, less thick than I would expect a stout. Maybe, however, I need to drink more dry stouts to compare this with.
D: Maybe I need to give this one another shot. It seemed pretty flavorless to me, but perhaps the stuff I got had gone bad, as the place I went--the Napa Valley Grille--didn't specialize in beer. They advertised it as "Beamish Dark", which I assume is this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance - Dark brown with highlights around the edge. Light but full tan head, never goes away.

Smell - Slight sour malt smell to it with a bit of chocolate.

Taste - Nothing overpowering, but has a little chocolate and caramel in there, as well as the sour malt make a slight appearance.

Mouthfeel - Artificially creamy due to the nitrous, very light on carbonation.

Drinkability - Because nothing is all that strong in this one, its readily drinkable. However, nothing leaves me wanting to revisit it very often. If I'm looking for an Irish stout, this would probably be the choice though - toss up between this and Murphy's.

3.83/5  rDev +0.8%

I had this on tap at my place with my Nitro setup for awhile as an alternative to the usual Guinness we keep on tap. I am a big fan of this beer as it has all the characteristics of a typical nitro Guinness but with more flavor and a lasting, pleasing aftertaste. It doesn't give off that sour smell and aftertaste that Murphy's does but it maintains subtler notes of espresso and chocolate. Has a richer mouthfeel than Guinness, all in all one of my favorite Nitro beers. Now if we could only get St. Amboise in the states....

3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

after cracking the widget and pouring into a Guinness imperial pint glass, you get that perfect irish stout look: clear delineation between jet black beer and light tan head, about a 1/2 inch thick. there isn't much to the aroma, just some roasted malt, a little soapy. there is a little coffee taste and a little chocolate taste but neither is significant. taste is smooth and creamy with a clean finish. dry irish stouts are one of the more perfect beers when you plan to drink about ten of them. goes down light and easy.

3.5/5  rDev -7.9%

3.36/5  rDev -11.6%

26/11/08 date stamp.
Typical nitro pour - cascading bubbles settling to black with a creamy, off white head. Decent, if subtle aroma. Taste is of watery malt and wet paper. I haven't had this in years, but I remember it being better than this. Not terrible, but rather average even for an Irish stout.

3.29/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nitro-can cascade effect results in a dark brown beer with a thick tan head of creamy foam. The foam lasts a long time and leaves moderate lacing down the glass.

Not much in the way of aroma. Tastes of dark roasted malt with just a little burnt bitterness. Notes of chocolate and coffee, but not very prominent.

Mouthfeel is pretty thin, but just a little carbonation plus the creamy head helps some.

This is an OK stout, but nothing to write home about!

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Another style I don't drink that often

A- Love pouring a nitro can and watching all the bubbles dance. This one simmered down pretty quickly and left behind a nice 1" head. Color is very very dark brown. Just about opaque

S- Roasted and smoky goodness was apparent as soon as I started pouring. There's a bit of coffee and a bit of chocolate. Not a huge nose, but I think the thick nitro head keeps the smell in the glass.

T - The taste lands mostly after the initial sip. Roasted coffee prevails this taste, but its not a big obvious flavor.

M- light bodied and you have a thick head to sip thru. Nice tho! The roasted coffee rolls off the back of your mouth in the aftertaste. The aftertaste doesn't linger long.

D - I like it. I'll be looking for it more this weekend during the St. Patrick's day celebrations. It doesn't weigh down your stomach and isn't real big on flavor or smell. Low alcohol makes it easy to session. One of these every now and then certainly wouldn't hurt.

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Guinness, Guinness everywhere...Ten years ago, it seems that there was more competition for the stout market here in Boston. Now, I love Guinness too, but feel a bit of joy whenever there's another option, especially on draught or cask! I've been picking up Beamish packs at Trader Joe's, as my wife has been making some great stews that require stout (heavens!). The attractive 14.9oz nitro-can pours out richly into the glass (Beamish Imperial Pint of course!)
leaving a lovely dark black-ruby bottom with beige head cascading down. While the head never overwhelms, it stays on top providing a great creamy taste and chew. While slightly bitter, the flavor offers up roasted barley-malt with a hint of raisin, as well as coffee & chocolate. The only complaint is that the nitro-can kills some of the flavor and weakens the carbonation a bit. Now on draught this would excel even more!
Definitely a highly drinkable alternative to Guinness....

4.6/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm going to write a short review for this one because not much needs to be said except this: "it's a stout as a stout should be." Take Guinness, and make it what you think it should be. Now you have a Beamish. I would give the Murphy's a bit of a higher score for more flavor but otherwise, this stout is very good.

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Poured a very nice black color with some dark red hues and a nice creamy frothy head that did not stick to the sides of the glass. It tasted great it had hints of Chocalate and coffee predominatly with some smaller nodes of hops and malt. Very tasty beer and definatly one of my more higher reccomended beers.

Beamish Irish Stout from Beamish & Crawford Plc.