Old Frog Grog | Electric Brewing Company

Arizona, United States

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Added by t0rin0 on 06-18-2010

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Sampled at a beer fest (I know I know, I shouldn't review beers at a beer fest, but I took steps to make sure I concentrated and kept my palate fresh) in 3oz size.

Look - Jet black with a dark tan foam that dissipates somewhat slowly.

Smell - Very smoky and a bit chocolaty-flavored, maybe molasses too.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Definite chocolate/molasses taste, and a bit syrupy in taste but not in mouthfeel. Roasted quality. Texture is much lighter in body than expected. More on the watery side.

Drinkability - Kinda a "Light Stout" sort of taste. Not bad, semi-complex.

2.75/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: pours dark chocolate brown, thin and coffee-like. There's absolutely no head, save a tiny, lingering ring of bubbles that leave nothing in the way of lace.

Smell: coffee with sweet cream and maybe some light cocoa. This one's very light in aroma.

Taste: subtle espresso, tangy dark chocolate and sand, oddly. The roastiness is more acrid than anything else, and a slightly soapy character emerges before a dry finish.

Feel: nicely velvety and soft, with a prickly medium carbonation and a body a shade over medium light. The dryness is pretty obliterating.

Drink: it goes down easily enough, but for an oatmeal stout it's so insubstantial in flavor or aroma that I doubt I'll ever order another. Strike one, Bisbee.

Old Frog Grog from Electric Brewing Company