Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Haunted Pumpkin Ale | Lucky Girl Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by jhartley on 07-23-2014

Reviews by jsisko01:

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

I picked up a bottle of Lucky Girl Brewing Company's Haunted Pumpkin Ale last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. Since the weather today was very fall like I'm in the mood for a Pumpkin Ale. I've never heard of the brewery before, but I'm interested to see what they can do with this style, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a shorter brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes good with the name and I think it's fairly eye catching. It poured a fairly clear and slightly orange golden color that took one more of a amber orange color when held to the light with almost two fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left just a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer that was pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the pumpkin being the first to show up and it impart a nice natural and meaty pumpkin like aroma that leads right into the spices with the cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger all seeming to show up evenly with neither one sticking out the most. Up next comes a slight brown sugar aroma that leads into some grainy and light sweet malt like aromas. This beer had a nice aroma, it's just what I would expect from the style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's a little lighter and it starts off with a slight lower amount of medium sweetness with the pumpkin still being the first to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma, but it's a little lighter this time. Up next comes the spices which also impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma and they are much lighter this time around. Up next comes a light fruity yeast flavor with some grainy malt flavors coming through. On the finish there's hardly any bitterness with a pumpkin, very light spices, fruity yeast and light grainy like aftertaste. This beer tastes ok, besides the grainy malts it seemed like every aspect was lighter than it was in the aroma.

M- Smooth, crisp, slightly prickly, fairly dry on the finish, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but I wish it was just a little less carbonated.

Overall I thought this was an Ok beer and I thought it was a decent example of a Pumpkin Ale, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style, but they all came out lighter than I would want and it left me wanting more out of this beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, slightly prickly, fairly dry on the finish, not filling at all and the taste didn't do a great job of holding my attention, one is enough for me any more than that and I could see myself getting bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the aroma, it was nice and true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and the carbonation, to me those aspects needed the most work. I wouldn't buy this beer again when it's very easy to find a better Pumpkin Ale and I can't say I recommend it as a good example of the style, but if you want them lighter and more drinkable than this might be worth a try. All in all I wasn't impressed with this beer, it was going the right direction, but when I got to the taste just about everything started to get lighter and it was hard for the beer to keep my attention. This beer didn't make for the best first impression for this Brewery, but I would still be down to try more of their beers. This one falls right in the middle as far as pumpkin beers go, it's not horrible, but it's not great either. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little bit of work, better luck next time guys.

4.58/5  rDev +30.9%

Wow, these guys are brutal!! lol I tried this ale and actually liked it enough to sign up and defend it. It's a lot better than the last Michigan beer I had that actually did receive high ranks here. I'm not one of a dozen words but I did actually enjoy this stuff. I should have bought more than a 6'er but I wasn't sure since I just grabbed it off the impulse shelf for a try.

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Generic pumpkin brew.

Orange/amber with a good sized frothy head that makes you doublr guess and doesn't leave a touch of lacing.

Smells like allspice and cinnamon to a tee.

Taste follows the nose fully.

Above average mouthfeel

Overall, sorry, mosquitos everywhere, give it something full later.

3.54/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

How ironic that this was brewed by Susquehanna B.C. in Pittston, PA for a contract brewery in Michigan and purchased by me in Michigan and brought back to PA for consumption!

From the bottle: "It's that time of year. Ghosts and Goblins, and fall's favorite treat - HAUNTED PUMPKIN ALE. This tasty brew of fresh pumpkins, 2 row malts, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg is frighteningly good to the last drop."

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggro pour to create a finger of fizzy, tawny head with limited retention as it fell away to wisps. Color was Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a familiar scent of vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. It was more pleasant today than last autumn, when I overloaded on Pumpkin Beers and became put off by them for a period. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but approaching it. The taste was heavy on vanilla and nutmeg and I kept thinking Eggnog or a candle. It was not bad, but it had an odd, cloying sweetness. The finish was sweet, about as sweet as I care to drink, but that's the voice of a hophead. I liked that they held the ABV in check as it seemed like it was going to be my nightcap this evening. Uh oh. I may have damned it with my faint praise!

The pumpkin taste is just right, noticeable but doesn't overpower the beer

3.68/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 2/2/2015. Pours slightly hazy golden orange color with a 1 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a moderate amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, toast, biscuit, herbal, grass, and herbal/spice earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good complexity of big pumpkin/spice and moderate bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, toast, biscuit, herbal, grass, and herbal/spice earthiness. Fair amount of earthy spiciness on the finish; with lingering notes of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, toast, biscuit, herbal, grass, and herbal/spice earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity and robustness of pumpkin/spice and moderate bready malt flavors; with a good malt/spice flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, crisp, and fairly bready mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish as expected for 4.8%. Overall this is a nice and pleasant session pumpkin ale. Good balance and robustness of pumpkin/spice and bready malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.69/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Last year's vintage. Aroma is ginger dominant, with cinnamon and nutmeg adding depth. Flavor is more cinnamon forward, lightly sweet. There's a touch of squash sourness.

3.36/5  rDev -4%

4.04/5  rDev +15.4%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

3.7/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Haunted Pumpkin Ale from Lucky Girl Brewing Company