Rising Sun Pale Ale | Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

Rising Sun Pale AleRising Sun Pale Ale

Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom
Japan
bairdbeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by UncleJimbo on 06-23-2003

3.25/5  rDev -13.6%

3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Teku glass.

A: amber, with big, medium lasting, white head, medium lacing;

S: low aroma of citrus (lemon, orange), low aroma of caramel/honey based malts, hints of floral/herbal aromas

T: low to medium orange peel-like bitterness, some caramel and bread notes, bitterness from medium till the end is consistant not so strong, also some peppery notes, quite well balanced.

M: light body, semi-dry, thicky, moderate carbonation, finishing is lightly hoppy and dry , no alcohol warmth.

O: Very simple pale ale, quite refreshing, little bi too dry on palate. There is on info about bottled date I think mine could be quite old and all the described tropical and citrus hoppy aromas could go away.

4.25/5  rDev +13%

4.25/5  rDev +13%

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

I like the Japanese, they know how to make cool trousers (you know the ones I'm talking about that Samurai used to wear, like 90's rapper pants). They also know how to "mix that shit up" when it comes to beer. My guess is that because their alcoholic beverages are so different in flavour to what us Westerners (though Australia is technically further east than Japan) have been imbibing over the generations that when the Japanese started brewing beer themselves they must have thought "Why the f__k do they drink this shit? We're going to make beer easy to drink"... and I'm not talking about their "Super Dry" Lagers (dorai sensō), I'm talking about their craft beer industry, which is 超幻想的な素晴らしい時間!

Poured from a 360ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: A nice cloudy amber Pale Ale, just the way God/Buddha/Allah/Jesus/Spaghetti Monster intended. There is a head, it is whitish and thin on top, just like my hair will be when I turn 50.

S: In two words and a conjunction: Muted and balanced. There are notes of citric hops; more mandarin than orange, along with a caramel malt base and a hint of melon with papaya in the background. Nothing really dominates the aroma though... which can be good or boring, hopefully the former.

T: Really noticing mandarin in the flavour, followed by that caramel base, some lychee hints show up now and a smattering glutinous rice cake in the finish. With an overall fruity hop flavour and restrained bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied with a light, almost flat carbonation (the beer was however warm... IHMF: I Hate My Fridge).

D: Gets better towards the end, and it is quite warm now, which can help when it comes to light flavoured brews (the only negative I could come up with for this). I'm really digging these Japanese craft beers - they know how to MTSU! (Mix That Shit Up) I Used That Acronym Earlier, Pay Attention (IUTAEPA)... NIJBS (Now I'm Just Being Silly). *deep breath* Now that I have that out of my system; this brew is sessionable to the max. Drinks easy with an interesting spin on a classic style.

Food match: Sashimi off the body of a naked Geisha.

3.1/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a dirty, orange colour with light frothy white head that laces well

S - Loads of citrus aromas including orange, peach and apricots, lemon with a little sweet malt and hint of toffee apple.

T - Similiar to the nose but not as pronounced, some citrus including orange, peach, more of a grainy bitter lemon.

M - Medim carbonation and light to medium body

O - Lacks any serious punch to have you begging for more. Fairly bland and not for me.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%