Teikoku IPA | Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

Added by UncleJimbo on 01-10-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 57
3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Back home in the states I sampled, though not reviewed, a variety of different American IPAs. I've come to enjoy and appreciate this style, so I only thought it right to start in Japan with an American IPA from the praised Baird brewery.

My Teikoku poured out a flat looking amber color, toned with a pale yellow tint. There was close to no head and the top left a very thin white film with a small group of bubbles resting in the center. Pretty average, but nothing too impressive.

The smells were faint and I felt like I had to work a bit hard for this one. A grassy field/floral scent lingers about, paired with a weak citrus aroma. Smell is a bit cloudy, not as crisp or as clean as I would've hoped for and expected.

Biterness? Wow, a biting bitterness that numbs my tongue slightly and strong hops that tingle down the back of my throat. Very, very pleasant initially, but the bitterness in the aftertaste is a bit too overpowering. Light herbal notes in the taste, as well as citrus rinds. The mouthfeel is warm and the beer wets my palette nicely.

I'm holding slightly mixed feelings about this one. While there's definitely positive remarks to be made for this brew, I personally feel like the style is a bit forced and too drastically overdone. There's a lovely biterness initially and this is pretty drinkable stuff, despite its flaws.

I rate this about average, but not close to some of the other AIPAs I've tried. Worth a try though, for sure.

3.06/5  rDev -18.8%

A - very hazy swampy orange brown, tower of off white head retained extremely well
S - grainy and peppery, some herbal and musty aromas, but all very subdued
T - peppery and resiny hops up front, malt backbone of grain and light caramel
M - decent carbonation, a bit on the prickly side, mild bitter finish
O - its an okay effort, but I would not place this as an IPA if it was a blind test, has more of an ESB character, so it loses points for missing the style, plus its only slightly better than average in general

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

Thanks to Jim at Sherbrooke for the sample. From a 360 ml brown bottle. Pours out a hazed rustic copper colour, tall spongy beige head with lasting retention.

Dry caramel malt on the nose with equally dry spicy hops, mild citrus character.

Bready, mild caramel malt up front in the flavour, dry spicy hops that have a more prominant citrus character towards the finish, and becomes more herbal in the aftertaste already.

Light-bodied mouthfeel, quite thin for the style, slick texture, low carbonation.

Runs more along the lines of an American Pale Ale than an IPA, pretty nondescript all around, this would be a pass the next time around.

2.69/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

360ml bottle poured into tulip 2/6/12

A hazy brownish amber that looks thick with just enough clarity too see slow moving bubbles feeding a very well sustained two fingers of beige head that leaves a few patches of random lace

S faint citrus with lots of caramel and a little nutty milk chocolate? this smell makes me wonder if they put the wrong label on the bottle

T a little IPA shines through in the mouth with a little rind and very faint pine but still pretty average, from a fresh shipment but tastes like a very old low booze IPA at best

M fairly full bodied with decent carbonation and a little caramel covered citric rind on the finish with no booze detected

O somethings not right with this picture, has some bitter rind but other then that I'd never guess this was an IPA

Not sure what's going on here, whatever it is IPA's not really crossing my mind. I'm wondering if this one sat on a hot boat for too long or if they mixed up the labels. This one's not my cup of tea and my first underwhelming experience with Bairds

2.66/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

360ml bottle. I missed this the last time around, so glad to finally take a crack at it.

This beer pours a hazy, medium bronzed amber colour, with a tumultuous tower of thin, cake-ish, and foamy white head, which leaves some broad sudsy blobs of lace around the glass as it slowly sinks out of sight.

It smells quite surprisingly of split-pea soup, very vegetal in that specific memory of my earlier days, and really very little else, save some middling earthy, leafy hops. The taste is toasted grain, more dry green vegetal matter, some very subtle citrus hoppiness, and a further generic herbal character that just seems to pile it on.

The bubbles are fairly low-key, the body a tame middleweight, and generally rather smooth. It finishes with that legume character still looming large, amongst a semi-sweet grainy malt, just as surprised as the rest of us at its lingering bed-mates.

Huh - I was expecting so much more, given the Yankee-leaning ways of this brewer. What I got, though, was something altogether off-beat, and really nothing near an IPA of any known stripe. Barely drinkable, but only because I'm hungry, and soup sounds pretty good right about now.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last