Teikoku IPA | Baird Brewing Company / Fishmarket Taproom

Added by UncleJimbo on 01-10-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 31 | Ratings: 59
4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A pretty, clear copper body with a little bit of carbonation. The head is really notable; Big fat, thick fluffy and off-white, huge wallpaper. After a while, a big swirl of the bottom 5th, this beer takes on a significantly different appearance. Thick amber with a dense head. Baird Beer's Teikoku IPA made for 3 pours of gorgeous beer!

Massively malty and almost equally hoppy big nose on this one. Strawberry caramel. A little toasty and really juicy, the nose is totally appetizing. At 6% it's not strong, but it's very tasty! An IPA unlike anything else I've tasted that was produced in Japan. Unique enough for me to immediately want to get it again. Good stuff. Definitely recommended at least for comparison between the very few IPAs available here in the J-heezy.

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Copper red colour with a nice 2 finger head which then fades to a creamy looking layer. Very nice looking beer.

Citrussy, peppery hops jump out at the nose. Also a fairly nice toasty/caramel malt presence. The hops really do dominate the nose of this though in a very cool way.

Not as aggressive on the palate as I might have hoped. Definite citrus notes are there from the hops as I would expect and some piney-ness that maybe came across as spicyness in the nose. Malt backbone is there and keeps the hops in balance. A little toastiness maybe from the malt but I've just got over a nasty cold so im really having trouble with the subtleties of this to an extent. Maybe a mistake cracking this particular beer open right now even so im enjoying it very much.

Carbonation is a little more prickly than I'd like for the style but that's a minor fault.

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent IPA, as the blurb says, kind of a halfway point between American and English styles. Maybe a little bit too much on the bitter side for me, and not enough of the tangy fruity character I like about American IPAs, but it's interesting enough and a good solid IPA.

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

Back home in the states I sampled, though not reviewed, a variety of different American IPAs. I've come to enjoy and appreciate this style, so I only thought it right to start in Japan with an American IPA from the praised Baird brewery.

My Teikoku poured out a flat looking amber color, toned with a pale yellow tint. There was close to no head and the top left a very thin white film with a small group of bubbles resting in the center. Pretty average, but nothing too impressive.

The smells were faint and I felt like I had to work a bit hard for this one. A grassy field/floral scent lingers about, paired with a weak citrus aroma. Smell is a bit cloudy, not as crisp or as clean as I would've hoped for and expected.

Biterness? Wow, a biting bitterness that numbs my tongue slightly and strong hops that tingle down the back of my throat. Very, very pleasant initially, but the bitterness in the aftertaste is a bit too overpowering. Light herbal notes in the taste, as well as citrus rinds. The mouthfeel is warm and the beer wets my palette nicely.

I'm holding slightly mixed feelings about this one. While there's definitely positive remarks to be made for this brew, I personally feel like the style is a bit forced and too drastically overdone. There's a lovely biterness initially and this is pretty drinkable stuff, despite its flaws.

I rate this about average, but not close to some of the other AIPAs I've tried. Worth a try though, for sure.

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

Really nice IPA that reminds me of IPAs from American microbreweries. Enjoyed cracking the top and smelling a fresh, appealing hoppy smell. Refreshing to drink, especially when the weather warms up a bit. Also, my non-hop crazy friend enjoyed it as well.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Baird Teikoku IPA round 2

Appearance: Glass into pint, medium amber color, 25 srm?. Poured with a small head, the lace is keeping decently. Looks to be light to med carbonation. Maybe on the dark side for an American style IPA? Clear, but not completely translucent

Smell: Got that Baird smell. I'm getting citrus hops for sure, and a hint of sweet malts. Does have that IPA smell to it. A little bit of floral in the whiff too, its not just citrus.

Taste: First sip opens with the hops, and a good deal of them right in the back of the palate. Then as the taste finishes I get a fairly strong malt coming into the scene. Taste stays around for a while, as hops are apt to do. Second sip feels like the reverse, as it hits my mouth I get the sweet malts, then the rest of the taste, to the finish is a bit of a rough citrus hop. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Not watery but with the malts I sort of expected a heavier flavor. Light medium body.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Because of the balance I would certainly drink a number of these in a row, and indeed have done so in the past. That being said with 6% ABV and the amount of hops it might not appeal to all

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last