Warsteiner Premium Dunkel

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Warsteiner Premium DunkelWarsteiner Premium Dunkel
Notes: A rich dark amber beer with full-flavored, smooth taste nicely accented with satisfying notes of roasted malt and subtle bottom fermenting yeast tones.
Reviews: 674 | Ratings: 1,691 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Keith_R:
3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.94/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: Very nice color, deep dark brown, clear but you can't see through the glass. Almost no head.

S: The aroma jumps right out of the glass into your nose. Some caramel/toffee notes, dark chocolate, malts.

T: Great taste, similar to the taste. Dark chocolate-caramel, coffee, roasted malts. I'd describe it as a deep flavor.

F: Slightly creamy with due carbonation.

Overall, it's one of my favorite beers. Affordable, great taste, great dark lager.

3.77/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

So this is what Munich malts taste like? From other reviews this sounds like a kinder, gentler Munich dunkel, but I enjoyed it. It has the bread crust taste that come from the Munich malts, and a bit of cocoa, light noble hops, and some roasted character, but nothing like a porter. I lean towards the malt and away from the heavily hopped, so this is one I will buy again.

4.66/5  rDev +32.4%

This is and has been my go to beer of choice for years. Being from Texas, where Shiner is the king, Warsteiner Dunkel is a step above. I first tried it in Germany, and have been in love since 2003. I now keep a keg on tap at all times.

3.74/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Saturday, December 02, 2017 11:09 PM
11.2 ounce bottle poured to wine glass
Sight: brown, small ran foam that quickly goes away
Smell: aroma of roated malts, fragrant
Taste: low bitterness, some sweetness
Mouthfeel: lively carbonation, medium follow through
Overall: very good beer, repeat: yes look for: no

3.06/5  rDev -13.1%

Rich mahogany color, but very thin head. Chocolate aromas. Biscuit and chocolate notes, but fairly light. Honestly, tastes exactly like Negra Modelo, which makes sense since it’s the same style, and was 1st brewed by Austrian immigrants to Mexico...and Negra Modelo isn’t bad, but I’d rather pay Negra Modelo prices.

4.46/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Never thought I would rate a big Brewery beer in this high I usually only give ratings like this to local breweries this is an amazing beer and I paid 12 bucks for a 12 pack of bottles I'm all about smaller breweries local breweries and the very professional ones but I have to give credit where credit is due and this is amazing and it's also brewed under the German Purity law well done Cheers

I've been rating beers with my own list for a few years and this is the best beer I've ever tasted. Wonderful color and flavor. Far from hoppy- I don't like hoppy beers.

3.92/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a mildly hazy ,deep mahogany-brown , with a half inch , off-white head. Smell is malty and slighly buttery , hints of raisin bread , some faint hops. Taste is crisp but rich maltiness , again some raisin qualities , some diacetyl / caramel , slight dark fruit-bread flavors , some balancing hops but not very bitter at all. Quite delicious! Mouthfeel is light and smooth with a bready aftertaste coating the tongue for a second. I found this Dunkel lager to be quite tasty and drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Review from notes:
1 liter served in das boot.

A - Clear cola cola brown with 3 fingers of foamy khaki head. Good retention and excellent lacing.

S - Clean toasted grain, sweet dark bread, grassy hops, lager yeast

T - Follows the nose with toasted brown bread, roasted grains, doughy, lightly sweet with hints of dark chocolate, mild grassy hops, nutty lager yeast,

M - Light to medium bodied with fizzy carbonation.

I had no problem polishing off a liter of this. A well made Dunkel lager.

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +27.8%

4.05/5  rDev +15.1%

3.79/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.19/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

One of the worst dunkels I’ve ever had. Slightly roasty but other than that it wasn’t good. I ended up pouring part of the beer out. Look smell and feel we’re average.

2.42/5  rDev -31.3%

I was really disappointed by this beer, so much so that I think it may have just been a bad sample. I used to drink this occassionally, before I started rating and trying various beers, and I liked it. But I’ll go with what I had tonite. Poured to a medium brown, with a very thin off-white head, that dissipated almost immediately, and left little lacing. Aroma was almost skunky, with just a hint of malt. Flavor was nothing special, and the finish was very dry. I will most likely try this one again just to give it a fair shot at redemption.

3.27/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance - Dark brown with slightly chocolate-red hue. Head is slightly off-white with average retention.

Aroma - Smells of Munich malts, hints of toffee, caramel, toasty notes. No hop presence detected.

Taste - Sweetness of malts noticed immediately, carrying through to a nice compliment of slight char, to sugary profile of bread crust and melanoidins reminiscent of toasted caramel. Finish has low, but noticeable, hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Medium body offers firm mouthful. Carbonation is average. No warming from alcohol.

Overall - Not a bad beer for being mass produced. Malt complexion is welcomed. Would prefer this beer even more if it has slightly more carbonation.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

3.52/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had at Middendorf's, Manchac, La., poured from 11.2-oz. bottle, label stamped best before "06.OCT.17," into (unfortunately) frosted mug.

A decent dark lager, which stands up well to turtle soup.

3.64/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.42/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours: A medium dark with ruby highlights.had a generous creamy white head

Scent:fruity raisen like aroma, caramel and malt...nice

Taste: caramel,citrus,malty and had some complex earthy taste.

Mouthfeel: verry light and crisp

Overall: Good all around beer,I love warseiner so I could be biased here...

3.75/5  rDev +6.5%

2.61/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I wanna like this beer. I wanna like this style. When in Central Europe, I revelled in the opportunity to break from the Pale Lager norm. Granted many of their offerings are unique and quaffable, but there's a reason the American Craft Brew movement has found its inspiration in British, and even Belgian, ales.

In the Czech Republic Budweiss's Tmave was a nice reprieve on Summer evenings from Pale Lager... but sadly, I couldn't remember much about it. There's good reason... this style seems to have little of mention.

Appearance: thin body, brownish-black. Foam on top, not enough to be called s head. Good lacing.

Nose: grain, lagerish. The scent of spent cheap coffee grinds is about all the roast here.

Taste: refreshing, mild maltiness.

Mouthful: wet, slightly grain.

Overall: uninspiring.

Sure it provides refreshment, but not the way a good Pilsner does. It's like the Black Sheep of every Lager producing brewery. Painfully MACRO!

Baltic Porter and Hefeweizen have proven old country breweries can pump out unique quality product. Step it up, Dunkel Lager!

3.84/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

My husband is a fan of Hefeweizen beers. His mind was recently blown after drinking a "Dunkel" Hefeweizen. Not being the most knowledgeable about the German language, he assumed all Dunkel beers were also Hefeweizen. He bought a 6 pack of this beer and was sadly disappointed, as he hates most porters and stouts. It's the coffee flavors that off put him. But at least it means I get a 6 pack of beer all to myself!

As for the beer itself, I'm rather enjoying this Dunkel Lager. I don't think I have had one before. It's all of the nuttiness or a Stout or Porter, without the heaviness.

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel from Warsteiner Brauerei