Warsteiner Premium Dunkel | Warsteiner Brauerei

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2001

Ratings: 1,557 |  Reviews: 636

1.16/5  rDev -66.4%

Dark maroon pour with almost no head. Smell was skunky, medicinal band aid and was more than likely really bad. Taste was plastic like, malt, and medicinal. Complete drain pour on this one, and one of the worst I've had. Surprised this one could have been spoiled as the place I bought it from turns over there product pretty well.

1.25/5  rDev -63.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I tried this beer and got more than I expected. It tasted like a wet loaf of bread. The picture of this beer on this Beer Advocate page does not look like the beer I got. My label was darker and had "DUNKEL" on it.

This "dunkel" is far too heavy, far too thick and far too stuck in malt to really make itself enjoyable except to only the most hardened dunkel lovers. To you all I tip my hat and move out of range of this beer. It isnt a beer to me, it is liquid bread. To be honest, I really dont care for the regular (but he German Pilsner is good) Warsteiner beer, so maybe that should have been a clear warning to me to avoid this beer completely.

But, I love my German beer and I avoid the American rice drink (Budweiser) with all gusto (tip o the hat to Schlitz) that I can musto.

Drink German, drink it cold, drink it from brown bottles and drink it proudly.

1.42/5  rDev -58.8%

Pours a really nice blackened copper, with lots of carbonation and a 1/2" head, but it quickly blows its load and then there is no head to speak of. So sad.

The aroma smells like any one of the dozens upon dozens of skunky euro lagers that have plagued the LCBO's shelves for far too long. I get a ton of corn off this. Blech. It smells like a wet tortilla.

I get a huge hit of metallic from the initial sip. Some toast and pewter. A lingering bitterness in the finish, very drying and not hugely pleasant. No real malt that I can ascertain. Really, it tastes like they took a generic Euro lager, threw in a dash of caramel color, and called it a dunkel.

The mouthfeel. You know what fuck it. I'm only half way through but this is going down the sink. My mouth deserves better.

Epic dunkel fail.

1.56/5  rDev -54.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Too much coffee taste and not full enough.

1.57/5  rDev -54.5%

Watery brown colour, with odd old smell. Tastes like sucking on a piece of cloth. If you really need to drink. Very grainy, too much carbonation. Like a club soda with some cheap gin or scotch drop poured in. Some malts, perhaps a hint of roast, acidic.

1.74/5  rDev -49.6%

A- Clear light brown with big light tan head that leaves a little lace.The look is by far the best thing this beer has going for it.

S- Nothing at all like a dunkel. Smells like a bad lager.

T & M - Grainy, rough, watery and very light. Imagine water with brown food coloring. Horrible after taste.

D- Could be high due to how light it is but the after taste kills it.

1.88/5  rDev -45.5%

where's the beef? 1st time offered in local grocer
roasted barley it proclaims on thr box
no ..no and nada
some kinda flavored animal food trough watet

1.91/5  rDev -44.6%

A: A dark brown to black color. A small tan head that fades to nothing in a few seconds. Almost no lace. Looks kind of like a dunkel
S: A little malt, very thin. Not impressed at all.
T: This tasts like a generic lager. It is watery, acidic and not very robust like a good dunkel should be.
D: Very average. You can drink a lot of this in the same way you can drink a lot of bud.

This is not what I was expecting. Were is the rich, robust, roasted malt flavor? There is almost nothing here that resembles a German dunkel. A disappointment.

1.94/5  rDev -43.8%

Stale, dry non sweet maltyness. Best before: 22 apr 16. Just not a good beer.

1.95/5  rDev -43.5%

Had this at a tasting at my local quaffery, The Cock and Bull pub, Sarasota, FL. My previous experience with Warsteiner products made me a bit leery but, that's what makes tastings so great, you don't have to commit to a six pack or even a whole bottle.
Pours a dark amber, almost brown. Clear with a small head and little lace.
Smell is just a faint hint of apple sweetness and nothing else. Didn't know a beer could have so little to smell. I really had to search to find something for my nose to do with this beer.
Taste is that same apple that blends to toasted malt & hops with a bunch of bitterness and a slight, lingering hint of smokiness in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel is rough with a medium body an effervescence on the tip of the tongue.
Drinkability: glad it it was just a tasting, I couldn't drink anymore of this. Just more megabrew swill to me. I'm off the Warsteiner line for good.

I don't know if it was just mine. But it tastes like metal...

2.05/5  rDev -40.6%

As a coffee nut I still find this overly bitter....it's like roasterie coffee...you can taste many good flavors but they are coated by a burnt feel and taste.

2.07/5  rDev -40%

Appearance: Freshness date of Oct 2002. Poured a dark brown with a very thin, slightly off white head. Virtually no lacing.

Smell: Smelled of malt, bready. As I found out, this was the best thing it had going for it.

Taste: Sickly sweet and sour with a malt backbone. I don't know if this is due to it being way past its prime, or that it's intended to taste this way, but none of the reviews I've read about it indicate this.

Mouthfeel: Smooth mouthfeel. Not overly carbonated, not too light or thick.

Drinkability: Not very, but again, this is probably due to it being over a year old.

Got this as a single in a build your own six pack deal at a local liquor store. It's one of two I got that are past the freshness date. If I ever see this where I can pick it up as a single, and it is fresh, I'll try it again, but as it stands, I'm not a fan of this at all.

2.08/5  rDev -39.7%

2.11/5  rDev -38.8%

2.16/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured from a 330ml bottle (best by date on back label) into a pint glass. It was a llight brown color with some red highlights. Clear with a little carb and no lacing. It had a one finger beige head that quickly fizzled into slight collar.

The aroma was very weak. Slight roasted malt but not much beyond that. As it warmed it started to get a burnt smell to it. Really didn't do anything to drive the taste which was also very bland. Not much to it at all. Not much more taste than a BMC. The mouthfeel was watery.

Overall, not a good beer. It was weak in aroma and taste and just didn't do anything more than a BMC in my opinion. Avoid.

2.2/5  rDev -36.2%

well, it looks good. its smell is pretty bad. The alcohol is pungent, but there is little else desirable. I have no desire to smell it any further. there is a little bit of taste to speak of. I would have to rank it no far above a yingling, unfortunately. I wouldn't buy another sixer of this. I'm very disappointed.

Warsteiner Premium Dunkel from Warsteiner Brauerei