Warsteiner Premium Fresh

Notes:
first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 35 | Ratings: 63
2.35/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From Hipercor. In Teku glass. At lunch, with omelette. It only has slight traces of the typical unpleasantness of 0,0, not bothering much while drinking it. Apart from that, complete dullness

2.68/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Beer pours a pale, translucent gold, capped by two fingers of loose foam that persists for longer than expected but does ultimately recede to a thin layer and then some islands. A bit of lacing, and a lot of visible carbonation.

Smell is bready, biscuity malt, light cracker. Faint sourness, slightly grassy hops, bitter greens. A touch metallic.

Taste is slightly sour malt, biscuit. Faint hop bitterness, more bitter salad greens, slight metallic twang. Carbonation is high, and the body is quite watery. But at least there is some hop presence here?

I've had worse. It doesn't compete with Krombacher--which I would consider the standard-bearer of NA beers--but it's recognizably beery and not outright offensive. Drink it *ice*-cold from the bottle, and you might even be able to fool your taste-buds into thinking you're drinking an American light lager.

3.3/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

330ml bottle, a single found at my local Superstore, of all places - who knew? Apparently they have broken cases too.

This beer pours a crystal clear, pale golden straw hue, with two fingers of puffy, moderately foamy, and bubbly off-white head, which leaves a decent array of layered deciduous tree lace around the glass as it lazily subsides.

It smells of warm grainy, somewhat pungently cereal-heavy malt (weirdly common for the 'style', it seems), a slight flinty mineral character, and tame earthy, weedy hops. The taste is more of the same - cereal-prominent malt, a certain hard-water essence, and leafy, earthy hops. Simple, but quite beer-like, surprisingly, as if I hadn't played this game before.

The carbonation is average - supportive and a tad peppy - the body an adequate medium weight, and smooth in the most general of senses. It finishes off-dry, the breakfast cereal essence still rather undeniable, the noble hops not altogether interested in the affair by now, leaving us with another version of this foreign dominance unchecked and unheeded at my grocery chain border.

I'd like to opine that this is so obviously an NA beer, but I just can't. The maltiness is just so superior to many of the pale lagers out there - noticeable, enjoyable, and well, not boozy. So why can't a whole lot of the normals get that part right? No offense to Warsteiner - they've no doubt got their shit together, like many of their German kin.

2.48/5  rDev +2.1%

Slight bitter taste with a strong after taste. Not particularly impressed with a beer that considers itself as the kind you want to drink 'cause life is too short. I didn't find anything that stood out on this brew, maybe if I had tried it out of a bottle it would have been a different experience.

3.59/5  rDev +47.7%

Appearance: Bright and light coloured; yellowish. Pours a one finger pure white head, which dissipates quickly.

Aroma: Hops and a tiny bit of sweet malt. Typical bready and sweet aromas for a non-alcoholic beer. Fresh.

Taste: Mild, hoppy, and a little bit sweet, as expected. Quite refreshing, and the hop flavours are decent. The sweetness is not overwhelming, but I always find it problematic in non-alcoholic beers since there's not enough bitterness and body to contrast with it.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall: Decent for a non-alcoholic beer. Quite refreshing and fresh without too much sweetness.

2.51/5  rDev +3.3%

I picked up this beer to work on the 104 styles goal. Honestly, I wasn't looking forward to trying an N/A. Most are made by BMC, and I figured that Warsteiner would do better.

The coloring looks really good. It is a bright golden color with really light foam. It leaves some pretty decent lacing on the pilsner glass.

I smell a lot of bright, pilsner flavor in this glass. There seems to be a pretty decent amount saaz hops in this glass.

The flavor is where the beer really falls short. It is all hop and no balance. Then I get a pretty decent amount of dry mouth.

I'm glad I got this style out of the way. Now I can go back to drinking great new styles.

2.18/5  rDev -10.3%

Pretty stinky stuff. The skunk and musty hops makes one nausious when blended with the sweet, cake batter, bready notes. Sugary toasted bread with skunk sprayed on it. Clear with hint of yellow, faint soapy head that fades fast and leaves spotty lace. Skunk ruins what could be some nice sweet bready flavors. Drain pour.

2.59/5  rDev +6.6%

This was sort of a novelty pickup. Notes are from last night.

This beer is not the lightest color I've seen, but it is the clearest I've ever looked at. I can look right through the glass and everything looks exactly the same with a yellow hue. Interesting. A foam of a head struggles to form and dies before the pour is finished. A trace of a head can be brought up with agitation. There is absolutely no lacing.
The aroma is something of a struggle to detect, but there's a hops backing, something slightly dusty, with very earthy and herbal notes and a touch of doughy malt.
The same is in the flavor, with the earthy and herbal flavors really taking the lead. A touch of tangy sourness underlying mars it a bit.
The mouthfeel isn't as excessively light as it could be for this style, though it is,of course, extremely light. It is crisp and pretty refreshing. It begins heavily overcarbonated, but the carbonation fades out as it goes. It could be much worse.
Overall, I'm not sure I'd go with this one as my low-alcohol option, but I'd need to look for others before I could completely dismiss this one.

3.6/5  rDev +48.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz., listed as 0.0% ABV, if that were possible in a beer,

A: Pours a clear yellow with a finger of white head with good retention, some noticable lace.

S: Like the mix of bread and sugar here.

T: Bready, almost cake batter type flavour in the malt which I liked. Sweet with not a lot of hops to back it up. Nice noble hop hit in the end though.

M: Quite smooth, soapy feel to the bubbles, quite light overall.

D: This is not to shabby at all. A solid brew for me even without the alcohol. Clearly the best of the 3 NA's I had tonight.

1.69/5  rDev -30.5%

Pours clear pale yellow with a slight white head.

Pale malt with a sour herbal funk. Not good.

Taste holds the same sour herbal funk. Not appetizing at all. Finish is bitter and sour.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, with a powdery dry feel.

Not good. Drain pour.

1.69/5  rDev -30.5%

Poured a dark golden yellow with a fizzy white head, mild lacing.

The smell is terrible, skunky bad hops. I'm almost afraid to take a drink, its that stinky. I wish I could give it a Zero for smell.

The taste is mild with a hint of bready malts and a light grassy hops, the flavor is ok, not offensive like the smell. Still not good either.

The mouthfeel is very watery and thin with a bit of carbonation.

I'm glad I don't have any sort of condition that forces me to drink NA beers, because they continue to disappoint.

2.39/5  rDev -1.6%

The bottle caught my attention. This one for me was a drain pour. It pours to a greenish yellow color, kind of like flat ginger ale. Head was gone almost as soon as I stopped pouring. My best description for the smell, and sorry if it seems like I am ripping on the beer, but it smelled like leaves that had been in the gutter after a couple of rains, with a touch of sugar added. Medium bodied mouthfeel, not very carbonated which isn't too bad. Taste was kind of like it smelled to me, not a great aftertaste. Finish was smooth, it was more of getting by the taste, maybe it was just old.

2.96/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

For an NA beer, this one isn't bad at all. I poured it from a 50 cl can (with the Warsteiner logo in bright blue) into a footed pilsener glass. Very yellow and pale, completely clear, with a watery appearance. The head, though, is amazing....tall, thick, stable, and incredible lace. The aroma is a little odd...lots of very pale malt aroma...it's like smelling a can of pilsener malt exract. Small touch of sulfur as well. The taste is a little sweet, fairly malty, and a touch grainy. Sweeter than most NA's, and not quite crisp. Different than others that I've had. Of course, the brew is watery and a little skinny...probably more substantial than others of the style. Really, however, this one was much better than I had expected.

3.48/5  rDev +43.2%

Saw this one sitting in the in laws fridge and did not even know what it was. I picked it out and started on it when I was informed it was a non alcohol beer. Not bad I have to admit. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 11/28/2008.

The pour was decent, light color with lots of carbonation and a tow inch fizzy white head. Decent retention as well. The aroma was lots of grainy malts, light bready character with a hint of earthy hops. The flavor followed along nicely, smooth, crisp, clean. Not much depth here, but the style really does not require it. Easily drinkable and really not that bad at all. For my first low ABV beer, I was not totally turned off by it.

1.81/5  rDev -25.5%

Best by 28 Feb 2009, 11.2 oz bottle. Might go for a run after drinking this.

Very clear, light yellow. Head is weak but a thin draping covers the top persistently. Moderate bubbling.

Smell is unique, an unfamiliar matzoh whole wheat smell. A little bit of Mexican food... Corn tortilla? This is brewed under the German purity law so no corn but that's what it smells like.

Extremely dry, thin whole grains with no sweetness and metallic bitterness. Slightly sour with hints of metallic country water.

Very thin body, mild carbonation.

It is strange to finish a beer and feel not the slightest effect, but that doesn't mean I want to drink more of these. Even in a driving situation I would greatly prefer an O'Doul's Amber.

3.16/5  rDev +30%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a light to medium straw hue with a three finger foamy white head. There was very good retention and lacing.

The smell featured a very light herbal hop with a light doughy malt and some lemon.

The taste was extremely light. Subtle hop spice and a very light malt made for a refreshing drink.

The mouthfeel was extremely light and well carbonated.

Overall a very refreshing and extremely easy to drink NA.

2.53/5  rDev +4.1%

In the heat of the moment, I grabbed one of these off the shelf..later realizing it was NA I kicked myself and hoped it would turn out OK.

Poured a clean crisp golden with alot of fluffy bubbly head. Head dissapated pretty fast.

Smell is very faint, a bit of corn and maybe hop.

Tasted a bit like hop and malt but was very bitter and had a metallic finish.

Mouthfeel was crisp and refreshing, sadly the taste is a bit strong and it ruins the moment.

Drinkability is very low. I will never drink this again for sure, and I regret buying it. That said, Warsteiner makes decent beer, and since this is NA, I'll keep it in mind that that probably has alot to do with it. Won't drink NA again.

3.79/5  rDev +56%

This is one fine NA Beer! ... as I have said in any other NA reviews, i like non-alcoholic beers....

...Pours with a decent head...lacing seems alright....taste is very pleasant, some nice bitterness with enough mouth to feel refreshed and satisfied!....

A new favourite!

2.77/5  rDev +14%

Bottle. Poured a light gold with a good white head that was gone in seconds. Good lacing. Mose of malts and a touch of hops. Mouthfeel watery. Flavor was malts, hops, and it would seem corn. Bad bitter finish. Drinkable, and not btoo .ad for a NA beer.

3.08/5  rDev +26.7%

This is not a bad choice if you have to drink an NA beer. The foam never seemed to disapear after it was opened. I drank one from the bottle and the other from a cup.

Appearance- Very pale. More of a brass color than a gold.

Smell- The odor was faint but slighty hoppy.

Taste- Not bad. As with most NA's I could taste the hops and malt but they were light. It had a beany metalic taste to it.

Mouthfeel- Ballaced and light.

Drinkability- Not bad it goes down easy with just a little after taste bite.

3.62/5  rDev +49%

Had this one at the Skylark, since they were out of Clausthaler, and I was the DD.

This was exceptionally clean and easy to drink, and the taste was intentionally close to a typical german pilsner. Some herbal hop in the aftertaste, and lingering clean grain flavor. Inoffensive, but a little thin. That said, it drinks like water, I downed 2 in about 15 minutes.

You could do a lot worse for an NA beer.

3.49/5  rDev +43.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six-pack while I was sick and on medicine. Now that I'm over it and my taste is back to normal, decided to review.

Pours out a crystal-clear gold color with no head at all, and few bubbles. Aroma is biscuit-like, crackery, with a hint of hops. Not unpleasant malt flavor with a fair amount of bitterness. Hop flavor is somewhat low, and it finishes with a slightly metallic note, but otherwise, not all that bad. Good dry texture, crisp.

Really, a rather refreshing and drinkable "beer", better than many non-alcoholics I've had, but not as good as Bitburger's Drive.

2.65/5  rDev +9.1%

Lately i have been wanting to know a few more non alcoholic beers to try so i am giving this one a shot. and i will do my best to rate it in its style.

Poured out a very light clear golden with a small white head that went down almost immediately... could be too cold.

Smells like warsteiner verum with so much grainy malts. oaty and cereal like. it also has a lemony smell to it as well, with an tea hint to it.

Taste is what i thought it would be, not that good. a little grainy. i taste cooked vegetables in this like it is from a chinese restaurant. a slight citris kick to it.

mouthfeel is empty, but for the style not so bad. above in the carbonation.

Overall i need to try more nonalcoholic beers before i can rank this one with the others, but i dont think i will get it again. just tastes a little too odd for me.

2.81/5  rDev +15.6%

Pale yellow as expected but with a nice veneer of a head, and well retained. Smells lightly of lemon with herbal dosed malt grains.

Tastes of a faint echo of malt and hop sharpness, though the moderate herbal flavor is sharp. Lacking a middle but quite hoppy in the finish considering its a N.A. beer. Mouthfeel is quite thin and watery, and leads to a soapy feeling.

It is what it is - a very good beer for the style. Lots of hop character despite the low alcohol, but the lack of character and body is distracting. Honestly, this or O'Douls? No brainer.

2.22/5  rDev -8.6%

Clear, pale-yellow in hue. The liquid is lifeless. Any inclusion of a golden shade would have improved the dreadfulness of the liquid, but it is not to be. There was a white head but it was extremely small and it was very short-lived, a thin collar did last awhile but at this point the first-impression has been formed, this beer is dull. Sickly. Plus, there was no subsequent lacing. Might as well close your eyes and drink this.

Wow! The aromas really jump out of the glass. Wow! I really don’t like what I smell. Honestly, the bouquet isn’t offensive but there is a sharpness to it that I really don’t care for. Grassy. Vegetables. Hay. Lemon. Sulfur. Grain. Musty. When the aromas are mixed together I am not too thrilled. Fairly clean but too Euro-Lagerish for me to consider the nose pleasant. Even for a Near Beer the nose is not good.

Sharp. Clean taste. Beery. Not much hop flavor, minimal bitterness. Yet there is a bite to the beer, harsh almost. Grassy. Not much malt characteristics either, sure it is grainy. I don’t detect anything that makes me what to say this beer has German roots. I guess this (near) beer has been ostracized. Sweet, sickly aftertaste with a herbal, veggie twang. The more I drank it, the less I liked it and the less it seemed to agree with my stomach. I am opened minded to Near Beers, I know some people that like beer but they can’t drink it for medical reasons. Well, I couldn’t recommend this product to them. I don’t think I can finish my glass… I feel queasy. It may not be the beer but it is making it worse!

Medium-light in body, moderate carbonation, the mouthfeel fits this beer. The objective with the carbonation is to be refreshing, I think, and *if* this beer tasted better… mission accomplished. But, in reality, it is not so refreshing because…

I didn’t care for this one very much. It is not very drinkable. I would make the assumption that if you like Euro-Lagers but you need a beer with minimal alcohol, you might like this one. I purchased one 12-ounce bottle in Omaha.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast