Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Warsteiner Premium German Pilsener | Warsteiner Brauerei

Germany
warsteiner.de

Style: German Pilsener

Also known as Warsteiner Premium Verum

A refreshing, pale golden pilsener with a clean taste perfectly balanced with hints of barley malt, subtle bottom fermenting yeast tones and mild hoppy bitterness.

Added by canadianbarman on 07-19-2001

Ratings: 2,145 |  Reviews: 893

1.48/5  rDev -57%

This brew is normally a decent exported German brew, but not usually as good as ole Bitburger. It poured with a decent amount of bright white head and retained for about a minute and thinned out into a quarter inch of lacing. The body is ultra clear and is quite golden in color.

The aroma was a little skunkier than I'd expect, since I'm drinking this brew in its homeland; however, there were pronounced hints of husk and freshly mown hay.

I believe this sample I have has to have fell victim to oxidization. Truly skunky, eliminating my desire to taste another drop.

This makes me want to gag, I'm throwing it away. I've had this beer before and I don't remember this being so trashy.

1.5/5  rDev -56.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

1.55/5  rDev -54.9%

This beer was disappointing. It poured an extremely pale yellow with 1/8 inch head that quickly faded. The aroma had hints of resin and lemon. It's flavor began with some bitterness and led to lemon and hoppy notes, followed by a bitter aftertaste. The mouthfeel is very thin, almost watery. Warsteiner Premium Verum, while a German pilsner, was more along the lines of an American adjunct lager. Not recommended.

1.56/5  rDev -54.7%

1.68/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.71/5  rDev -50.3%

Warsteiner Premium Verum: really awful euro lager, bad skunked aroma, bad skunked taste. Nice clear color though. Not worth the money or the time, and I find the line on the back that life is too short to drink bad beer to be the height of irony.

1.73/5  rDev -49.7%

Poured from a 22.3 oz. bottle into a pilsner glass.

Beer pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with about two fingers worth of bright white head that recedes quickly and leaves virtually no lacing.

The nose is dominated by a skunky aroma. Really there seems to be nothing else there, my initial reaction was to make sure that I hadn't opened a Heineken by accident.

Unfortunately the taste is no better than the smell; skunky and unimpressive. Slightly bitter, and grainy with an odd aftertaste. Seems kinda thin and is overly carbonated. This beer really does nothing to distinguish itself from many of the other Euro lagers that I generally try to avoid. I found myself struggling just to finish the bottle

1.75/5  rDev -49.1%

1.84/5  rDev -46.5%

My brother in law thougth he was hooking me up with this one. Just kind of blah. The best I can muster to say about this beer is that I poured with a nice head. I was also very dry, crisp and I imagine it would be refreshing if I wanted to be refreshed. It just doesn’t taste very good.

1.86/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I did not like this beer. Got it on top at Joe Kool's in Troy, MI, to try something new. I think I ended up chugging it to get something better. Appearance was straw colored with a head that disappeared in a few seconds. Nose is nearly non-existent - very light malt character, some apples maybe. Taste was likewise. Extremely mild, graininess, some mediocre malt. Feel was thin bodied and too carbonated. I wouldn't get this one again.

1.87/5  rDev -45.6%

After pushing puddles of slush throughout the morning hours here in wonderful Dorchester . I thought I would treat myself with a few brews and reviews . Blackburn Rovers / Bayer Leverkusen is on the dish right now . Sweet . It is not my beloved Glasgow Celtic but it will do . This is a single I bought yesterday and it is being poured in a pint glass . Very little head and the color is clear & yellowish . Very bubbly too . The smell is like the bread from Greenhills Bakery . Nothing else comes to mind . Taste on the other hand plenty comes to mind . Watery , and not pleasing to my pallete - granted it is an apprentice pallete - but blah . There is a thinsized head on the brew as I drink it but this reminds me of beer that we once pounded all day at UMass - Amherst . Yellow water fiz . It is dry and crisp but there is no mouthfeel . The Rovers match will do but this brew will not .

1.88/5  rDev -45.3%

Very grassy hoppy notes, similar to Peroni with a little bit of a malty smell. Taste is at first very crisp and clean, a bit tart, not much going on flavour-wise. A mild skunky smell comes through as it begins to warm. Overall an absolutely average pilsener with a hint of funk.

1.88/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Not a very good beer in my opinion. Pours a golden color with a white head and a little lacing. Smells of malts! And more malts! Tastes of malts! And more malts! And not much else. Mouthfeel is thin and weak. Drinkability is poor. I do not like the beer. It is a classic but it is not as great as people make it out to be.

1.92/5  rDev -44.2%

Normal beer. There isn't Nothing special.

1.95/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

11/14/15
On tap at GAK, to plastic cup.
German Budweiser.
TASTE: A little bit of flavor. Veggie, grains,slight hops.
FEEL: Creamy head. Thin.
Not bad. Not good.

1.97/5  rDev -42.7%

Clear gold/straw color, medium head fades to tiny bubbles. Smmells like just another middle of the road boring euro lager (grass and cereal). Taste is extremely grassy, though, setting itself apart from other euros, but not necessarily in a good way. Grassy sweetness gets cloyying towards the bottom of the glass, one of the only beers that I have had that is spicy because of malt.

The skunkyness of this beer overrides and good qualities

Bottle: Poured a golden beer with a small head with almost no retention. Aroma is very weak with small touch of malt and sweet coming out of my glass. Taste is also very weak, almost watery with no hops detectable. Very bland and boring pilsner. I guess this could be an OK session beer on a beach down south…

Warsteiner Premium German Pilsener from Warsteiner Brauerei