Warsteiner Premium German Pilsener | Warsteiner Brauerei

good
Read the review
Warsteiner Premium German PilsenerWarsteiner Premium German Pilsener

Warsteiner Brauerei
Germany
warsteiner.de

Style: German Pilsener

Added by canadianbarman on 07-19-2001

Ratings: 2,103 |  Reviews: 885
3.11/5  rDev -9.3%

The Warsteiner Vernum pours a bright clear yellow with foamy white head. Some very mild lacing as it drops to a slight head. Continuous bubbles. Smells typical of most Euro pilseners...Saaz hop as a base. The taste is decent and refreshing. The Saaz bitter taste is left on the pallet. Mouthfeel is nice, light bodied, nice carbonation and sharp. Overall a very refreshing beer that I would try again. Serve nice and cold!

1.88/5  rDev -45.2%

Very grassy hoppy notes, similar to Peroni with a little bit of a malty smell. Taste is at first very crisp and clean, a bit tart, not much going on flavour-wise. A mild skunky smell comes through as it begins to warm. Overall an absolutely average pilsener with a hint of funk.

3.9/5  rDev +13.7%

I could have sworn that I had reviewed this beer from a CAN before, but neither this site nor my The CANQuest (TM) spreadsheet seems to indicate this, so I am deeply grateful for the opportunity. The sad thing is, I CANnot remember who to thank! I have incurred a recent deluge of CANs and I am slightly overwhelmed. If you sent it to me and would like to be mentioned, just shoot me a B/M.

From the CAN: "Eine Königin Unter den Bieren" [A Queen of Beers]; "Brewing Excellence Since 1753".

The Crack & Glug did not take long, coming out of an 11.2 fl oz/330 ml CAN, but it resulted in a finger-and-a-half of bone-white head with mild retention. The color was a slightly pale sunshine yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a grassy hoppiness overlaying the inherent lager sweetness and my mouth began to water. The initial swig presented a very honey-like sweetness initially before the grassy hops kicked in. The mouthfeel was on the low end of medium, not quite thin, but not much over the line, either. Finish was mmmellow and it was a very pleasant reminder of why I like Pilseners, whether they be German or Czech in style. I would definitely have some of this in my cooler when headed to the beach, the backyard, or even for Hula in the Coola Day (01 February, annually). Worth an attempt at seeking out. Man, this was like tea in terms of its mellowing qualities - I was suddenly becoming very sleepy.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

2.98/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Clear, golden color with a finger and a half of white head. Lots of bubbles visible. Head collapsed but left good lacing. I should have poured this into a Pilsener glass.

Smells like freshly milled barley with the slightest bit of citrus.

First a "nothing" taste... water, followed by a dry, bitter taste. That's all there is to it.

Clean texture, not nearly as carbonated as it looks and a light body.

I used to think German Pilseners were uncomfortably bitter, but this one tastes pleaseant enough. Maybe after the assault my tongue took from imperial IPAs, this seems a lot more toned down. Either way, it's a one trick pony in taste and smell, but it looks beautiful. The best way to drink this is in Germany on a cobblestone street side table in the proper glass. Spend an afternoon watching the world go by.

3.5/5  rDev +2%