Action Jackson | Big Time Brewery & Alehouse

Big Time Brewery & Alehouse
Washington, United States
bigtimebrewery.com

Style: American IPA

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by TheBungyo on 09-20-2010

Reviews by TheBungyo:
4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

When I stopped in at Bottleworks to grab a growler of Action Jackson both employees asked me excitedly if I'd had it before. When they heard my "no" answer they gushed about how what a great IPA it is.

They weren't wrong.

It pours a wonderful hazy golden color. It's the shade of gold that just hollers 'hoppy' in an outside voice. Even the head betrays itself. Though its just a small cap it looks dense and creamy. I know that the body on this one is going to be thick and inviting. This time, I'm the one who isn't wrong.

Mmmmm. Tasty. Citrusy hops take center stage while the meager malts play backup. The hops are bright and vibrant. The finish is bitter but mingled with sweetness. I think this is a highly hopped beer that might not completely offend the palate of the non-hop-head. That said, I'd love to taste an even more unrestrained version.

I dig the hell out of this.Bill please brew this again!

Oh yeah, there's coffee in there too, see if you can spot it!

3.62/5  rDev -6%

Wow, I'm surprised I'm only the second person to review this beer, especially considering that I live in New England and had this as part of Red Bones NW Fest on 11/12/10.

Appearance: Copper golden color with a slight haze. Not a lot of head on this pint glass pour, no lacing. Nothing great here.

Aroma: I get a nice mix of generic malt sweetness and citrus hops. Creates a citrus flesh smell that borders closer to sweet than bitter.

Taste: True to the nose, this one starts off almost too malty sweet, but the hops do a good job of pulling it in quickly. Combo of the malt and hops create an almost tart pineapple taste before a bigger grapefruit bitterness enters in on the linger.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Interesting beer here as it is hard to tell how big it is. If the malt is any indication, this one may be better classified as a DIPA. It's body certainly acts that way. While light in actual body weight, the somewhat viscous nature of the beer coats and weighs down the palette, like a DIPA. While I easily finished the glass, it is not one of the more drinkable IPAs I've had in a while.

Overall: Good beer. Nothing to rave about, but worth a pour. I enjoyed the pineapple flavor that goes into the more bitter, traditional grapefruit tastes.

33 Beers Flavor Chart (5 high to 1 low):