Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale | Maritime Pacific Brewing Company

Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas AleMaritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale

Maritime Pacific Brewing Company
Washington, United States | website

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2002

Reviews: 93 | Ratings: 162
4.9/5  rDev +29.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

P: 12 oz bottle poured into a cone pint glass.

A: Deep brownish garnet color with a good clarity, light tan lace adorns the top ... a product of densely frothed head.

S: Sweet and earthy with a big hand of caramel, candied fruit and mineral. Hops are soft in the aroma with a leafy character.

M: Nice flush full body, smooth and crisp in the mouth. Malt character is very broad with a bitter-sweet start and a chocolaty finish with hints of lightly roasted coffee. Alcohol warms quite well. Fruity of the dark ripened variety, fig or prune in the mix? Hop bitterness cuts through the malt and leaves a trail of flavor that gets lost before the after taste. A triple fold of alcohol spiciness, heavy leftover hops and the mild chocolaty finish rush for the finish line. Pleasant and complex after taste.

O: Always a winter beer fav....Bottom line, drink this one with care...This has been only beer where after a mere 6 pk, I found myself the next morning face down, next to the fridge and late for work...so take caution, this one can get you in the 'woo-woo!!'

4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

This is the first beer I have reviewed on this site, most likely because it is the absolute best winter brew I have ever had. I will definitely be picking up another 6-pak of this. Also tried an Avalanche by Snoqualmie Brewery earlier this week....also good....but not THIS good.

4.65/5  rDev +23%

Another amazing brew received from skyhand. Thank you.
Medium crystal clear amber with a half finger head that takes a verylong time to finally settle into a top coating lace of sticky foam.
Aromas are simply sweet malt...I can't notice anything else there. Malts are definately toasted in aroma, however.
Flavor, however is very complex and very, very wonderful. Sweet toasted amber malts, caramel, definate pine resin hops and alcohol. Honestly there is much more to the complex flavor but I can't identify it individually because it is very well balanced and blended,
I can feel the 8% ABV advertised and it is pleasant.
Aftertaste is also very pleasant...nothing cloying although the brew was sweet enough...nothing bitter, although it was amply hopped. Just dry and pleasant.
Good...perhaps great, winter warmer. 8% helps...a winter warmer should be stronger.
Thanks again to skyhand...especially thanks for two bottles...I will love the second even more than the first since I will do so merely for pleasure and not to review.

4.65/5  rDev +23%

From a 64oz growler straight from the source.

I like things that bite back, and this brew does! Oh my, what a great beer this is!

First off, I've got to say... Um, 8 percent!?! Yeah, maybe cubed! I'm a fairly hearty lad and three gave me a good and solid buzz!

Anyway, this one pours an absolutely beautiful dark crimson in color with a thin and wispy off white head to compliment. Nose is complex enough, wafts of pine sap, stewed fruit and heavy on the spices, what those spice are, I haven't a clue. There is so much going on in this glass I'm not even sure where the floor is anymore. The taste is explosive and multi-layered, notes of fruit (cherries, figs, apricots) with spices all throughout, very powerful and full, truly a grand experience. Finish has a nice alcohol kick and the balancing notes of pine and a decent tinge of carbonation. This one gets infinately better as it warms, smoother and a bit more delicate with a bit more of the hops, which balances and soothes it a bit, very nice.

God himself wouldn't be ashamed to sip this fine brew, truly very nice and well balanced. This definatly lives up to it's style, very warming and filling. It's a beautiful thing. Seriously, get some... now. Like RIGHT now.

Maybe I'll move to Seattle just so I can have better access to this one.

Many thanks to Skyhand for this brew, you're a beautiful human being!

Slàinte!

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%

This beer was a very pleasant surprise. 12 oz. bottle to snifter for serving.

A: Clear and bright with darker swirling hues and a solid small-bubble head.

S: Amazing. Fruity in a dark way with apricot, figs and sugar. Very complex: English marmalade toast, cinnamon, caramel and all other manner of sweet aromas blend together with mild spicy alcohol and earthy hops.

T: Perfectly follows the nose delivering a light sugary ride with notes of tree bark and caramel apples and nectar fruits. Alcohol is present yet subdued.

M: Smooth, smooth and smooth. This beer is like an incredibly drinkable barleywine. Great complexity, yet light on the tongue. Full of fruity sugary sweetness yet exquisitely balanced and (did I mention) smooth.

D: See above.

Overall: Like a mini-barley wine. Tons of flavor and great aroma paired with medium strength alcohol and a mouthfeel to die for. Great, great beer from a brewery I had never heard of until tonight. Thanks to Svejk for the hook up!

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance – This was just gorgeous. It poured a deep, dark brown with a beautiful slightly-tanned head that showed lots of retention and left a nice lacing film on the inside of my glass.

Smell – Big, juicy malts with heavy spicing lead the way here. This is a Christmas winter ale for sure. It is spiked with some very dark spices. I can’t even begin to name them, but the clove is the most prominent.

The malts are huge here as well. They are sweet and luscious. There’s a rich, deep caramel and sugar aroma that waters the mouth.

Taste – The malts are laden with a cane sugar type of sweetness, and the spices make things all that much better. There’s even a dry kind of hoppy balance to this beer. You can drink this all night; it is that good.

Mouthfeel – This is medium to full in the body with a wonderful sugary sweetness, strong malt backbone, balancing dry hoppiness, and a completely unnoticeable 9.0 ABV.

Drinkability – Are you kidding me? This is one of the most drinkable “big beers” that I’ve ever had.

Update – The ’04 seasonal was a bit bitterer at the finish then it was in ’03 and maybe a tad lighter in the mouth. This really is my favorite Winter Warmer year after year.

4.59/5  rDev +21.4%

This one is surprisingly hard to find even locally – whether because of demand or supply (or both), I’m not sure, but I’ve upped the ‘demand’ part of the equation after finding some.

Pours a cloudy, iridescent russet with ruby and garnet highlights that twinkle through. Head forms to 2-fingers in the tulip glass, but quickly dissipates to a ring and bedraggled wisps.

When cold, notes of metallic, green hops are first, but oh when it warms up; one of the nicest crème-caramel and rich, butterscotch aromas I can remember. Really a lovely nose when served at the right temp.

Flavor goes deeper in every direction; leafy-green hop bitterness is there, but grows substantially subdued through the bottle. Butterscotch candy, dark rum and maraschino cherries all make for a beautiful foundation to the fading, yet still present hops. The hops and good ole’ alcohol burn keep things spicy, though I’m not sure if any spices are specifically used.

Mouthfeel is moderate-to-full with light carbonation- just right for a winter warmer. Thick without being cloying, but begging another hit of the creamy-caramel goodness.

Overall an awesome beer and I’m struggling to remember a better example of the style. I’ll bee seeking out more to drink now and some to put-down for a bit, I’ll bet this ages into something fiercely delicious.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Ahhh, every year I await you, you saucy devil, for your return from the high seas! Every year, you come back with a bounty worthy of a pillow made of spun alpaca pubic hair!
A bountiful reddish brown with big malty sexiness. Caramel and toffee, some chocolate and brown sugar, a bit of earthiness. It is erotic and filling. The malt slides down easily with a coaxing bitterness. Hop aroma and flavor is minimal, allowing the big malts to play their games with my tongue. Always sexy, never boring.
One of the finest winter ales Washington has to offer.

4.47/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from a bottle that was stored in the fridge for a year (purchased xmas 2009 from McHales taphouse in Bellingham).

I am a bit surprised by some of the lower reviews for this beer.

Poured out coppery and obviously thick from the bottle. A bit of lacing but nothing out of the ordinary. Some sediment on the bottom of the bottle.

Smells like hops, spices, caramel, and a hint of wood. Tastes much the same, with a thick (but not cloying) mouthfeel, plenty of maltiness, and some oaky flavors in the background. This is a very well executed Xmas ale. Hops are strong, but not overbearing, and are well balanced with the malty, caramely flavor.

I just couldn't wait for Xmas :)

4.45/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Sampled in a 16 oz pint at the Brewery Tap Room (Jolly Rogers)

Beer pours a dense amber red with a light haze that catches the light and reflects the glow. Absolutely no head on this pour.

Aroma is a deep black cherry with a mix of mulled ale spices and alcohol.

Flavor is a cherry spiced malt front with hints of old chewed leather.

A finish of slight hop bitterness with a barely sour note leading into a strong warm alcohol finish.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

On tap the Parkway tavern the other night. They had both the 2011 and 2010 version on tap, but I believe had run out of the 2011. I would have gone with the 2010 version given a choice anyway...

The beer pours a slightly dark, copper amber color with good head retention and considerable lacing. On the nose, this really comes across as a hoppy barleywine, as there is a huge presence of sweet malt, pine and dry citrus. On the palate, it's just more of the same, with the massive malt backbone more than compensated for by the huge blast of hoppy bitterness. In combination, I get something of a caramel, butterscotch, toffee and candyapple flavor that marries well with the considerable hoppy bitterness. The 2010 version wasn't quite as raw as this beer sometimes is when fresh, and I found this beer to be quite smooth and surprisingly drinkable for it's abv. and huge flavor profile.

Not the sort of beer I'd want to drink any other time or any other place than in the NW during winter. However, drinking this beer in Tacoma in December is just an absolute treat, but one I'll probably have to wait another year for to sample again.

4.38/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Late 2005 Jolly Roger served in a tulip at cellar temperature. I have been hanging on to this bottle for some time now…it was my first contribution to my beer cellar over a year ago now. Today I found out my wife passed the Washington State Bar Exam, so it was a perfect occasion to celebrate with an aged Jolly. We split the bottle and both contributed to this review.

Appeared copper-red with a thin, quickly fading dusty-white head that was easily revived with a quick swirl of the glass. Smelled of molasses and alcohol with apples and dried, dark sugary fruit. The flavors were well balanced, much more so than the fresh version. Tasted sweet up front, then slightly bitter with deep woody, earthy hop, a little metallic, finishing with dark brown molasses at the end. The mouthfeel is very smooth with medium viscosity, nice for the style.
It was just a pleasure to drink this beer…too bad I didn’t save a second bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow... had this with dinner at a steakhouse in downtown Seattle. This could have been a meal in and of itself. After two (before dinner came), I was feeling it. I hadn't eaten anything all day, but I was still a little surprised at how it hit me... it wasn't until I got home and looked it up and found that the alcohol content was 9% that it all made sense. Anyway, on to the beer... great color and smell... I couldn't wait to jump right in. Lots of malt and hops with a great full bodied caramel flavor. The first one went down so easily, I hardly remembered the transition into the second! At 9%, its definitely not for the weak hearted, and being a winter brew, this will keep you warm on the cold, damp nights in the Pacific Northwest. I would highly recommend this one.

4.37/5  rDev +15.6%

Brazen crimson color, nearly bronze, slight haze, with a thin coating of beige foam above.
Lovely aromatics, dark fruits, cherries, sherry, a bit of plums and port, hoppy, rich and warm. Very inviting, and I can't wait to taste her! (him?)
Snappy, brisk, fully flavorful entry on the palate, comes crashing in the door loaded with flavor, abundantly hoppy, juicy, spicy flavors...spiced with what, exactly, I don't know. Junipers? Cloves? Cinnamon?
Big, fresh, sparkling flavor, fruity, dynamic, ...sings with the sort of zest I enjoy in many a delicious Belgian ale. Bright, vibrant, and very tasty. Yum, yum, yum, I say it three times, so it must be true
This is a winter brew with real cohones! (And can be easily enjoyed in late June, as well!)

thanks go, again, to the mighty weefisheads for this!

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden amber, with a *massive* head that fades down to a ring. Almost crystal clear. Good lacing, nothing too lasting though.

The first thing that let me know I was on to something was the smell when the bottle was poured. Rum, raisins, plums, cinnamon, and dough.

And the taste is similar. Raisins, cherries, plums, and a hit of a cinnamon roll somewhere, make this very good, and near to some belgian darks I've had in taste.

Mouthfeel is average. Medium body, decent carbonation. No real aftertaste.

Very smooth and clean, with litte/no aftertaste, I could drink this all night.

This is the first sixpack of a beer I've bought in *months*. Usually I buy one bottle of several types of beer, returning to one rarely if I know it's good. Bought a six-pack of this the other day after trying one bottle a week ago. It saddens me to learn of this beer so soon to the end of its run. Definitely gives me something to look forward to next winter.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

2004 edition, aged one year. From my secret santa

Pours a deep coppery amber with absolute minimal head. Aroma is none too light on its feet, but hints at supreme maltiness. Upfront there's a few fruity esters then lots of malty bready brown sugar sweetness, though by no means overkill, just enough. Intermixed is lots more fruitiness, definite cherries, banana and spice. I won't hazard a guess as to which. Just enough hops to balance. It's very full and creamy in the mouth, with medium low carbonation. Runs all around the palate well after swallowing. Drinks like a beauty. Simply marvelous.

4.32/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Kind of a murky brown color, thin, sparkly, swirly white head, laced edges.

Abundant aroma smells foremost of Caramel Malt, than raspberry, cherry, brown sugar, and fig maybe. smells like a tasty enough concoction.

Ahh, very pleasant. I was afraid this might be rather sweet tasting, but acually there is some hops present to squash that, also alcohol is noticeable, both on the pallete on the finish followed by a gentle warming.

Drinkability must be very good, as I'm looking forward to gobbling the other 5 this evening.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

12 oz. bottle, 2 finger head, amber color with a small bucket o' blood thrown in for drama. I drank 3 cases over the holidays, so no need to comment much on drinkability.

Smells like alcohol and candy; burnt sugar; nuttiness.

Tastes of brandy, alcohol, spice, caramel, roasted nuts.. Feels viscous with the perfect amount of carbonation.

Of the many seasonal beers I've sampled this year, this is the one that overwhelmingly commended shelf space in my reefer. I hunted it down with zealous fervor.

This stuff is brewed under the Ballard Bridge and literally flies off the shelves each year in the Emerald City and surrounding environs...for good reason.

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

This muscular, super-hopped winter warmer has been keeping me happy for years. I look forward to it annually as the days grow shorter and the beers get bigger. Jolly Roger has a sugar frosted flavor with a fierce undercurrent of hop spice. It's built on rock-solid bittering with gleeful elements of cinnamon, spearmint, nutmeg, and black pepper that converge in skilled synchrony like a great jazz combo.

Jolly is a big-bodied ale with compelling drinkability. It is brandy colored with sketchy lace and a sugar-water aroma tinged with a few agreeable phenols.

I'm willing to concede that I have something of a personal attachment to this beer that may color my perceptions. After spending as many holiday seasons with JR as I have, I've grown to expect that it just wouldn't be winter without it. I've got an almost child-like emotional attachment to it that I can't separate from the experience of Christmas itself. You know, like "visions of sugarplums danced in their heads." That sort of thing. Only now that I'm all grown up, it ain't sugarplums. It's big winter ales like this one.

4.27/5  rDev +13%

Pours a dark red-brown, a perfect color for late autumn early winter. Especially since it seems extra cold this Seattle winter. I don't even need to try--- I can smell rich diacetyl and caramel, with some fruit lurking just beneath the surface. I never would have said it the first time I tried this, but all I can think of is an English ESB on steroids, which to me is a good thing as I love English beers. The taste is more caramel with hints of diacetyl and muted fruit, almost a pear taste. Mouthfeel is every bit as great as a beer straight from London! If you impulsively grabbed a sixer of this, you won't be sad that after drinking one, you'll still have 5 more to go. This beer is defintely a winner. Thank you Maritime for being creative in your brewing and giving me something to think about!

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

Maritime Pacific's Jolly Roger pours up nicely with a moderate carbonation that creates a compact tannish head that neatly tops the bright reddish amber body. The light spicy nose has an abundant caramel maltiness with a perfect touch of earthiness, fruitiness (orange cream) & alcohol warmth. Pleasant. The flavor starts off with some brown sugary maltiness then leads into layered caramel which is eventually undersored by a firm, lingering earthy bitterness that brings about a deceptively warming finish. This one surprised me, as I wasn't expecting anything nearly this good when I reached into the fridge & plucked this one from the backhole. Jolly Roger will have Santa singing "Yo-Ho-Ho!" & keep his cheeks rosy for sure!

CHEERS! Beertracker

4.23/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Poured a cloudy reddish color with good sized sticky white head. Good lace down the glass.
S: Smells malty, slightly metallic scent
T: Good maltiness up front, bitter hoppiness toward the back end. More bitter and dry than I expected
M: Full bodied beer, could only do one or two at a time, no more probably
D: Perfect brew for a rainy chilly Seattle evening, good winter warmer.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

This beer poured a dark brown with a minimal head, held up to the light, wasn't quite crystal clear but a little hazy. Aroma is malty and estery, nothing to write home about. Taste is big and malty sweet yet perfectly balanced with citrusy hops. Nice syurpy body yet quite drinkable especially for the abv.

4.2/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Darkened amber with a caramel brown body and garnet highlights. Head is fluffy and two fingered. Lacing sticks around the glass and plasters all the way to the bottom. Looks nice and is typical of this style.

S: Scents of cinnamon, roasted nuts, and ginger. Brown sugar with ground up candy canes, berries, and peppers. As this warms the aromas are even more candied and balanced with some subtle citrus hops.

T: Tastes like cherries, apples, and dates splashed with spices and whiskey. Flowery with a caramel and toffee warmness. Slight wine tang. A stellar malt backbone with an earthy and plum quality. Butterscotch with raisin undertones towards the back. Nutmeg and smoked alcohol make this spicy and warming in the finsish.

M: Light carbonation with a light to medium body.

D: This is a quality winter warmer and almost drinks like a barley wine. For the price I could see myself with a case of this as a staple through the 2008 holiday season.

4.19/5  rDev +10.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a cloudy dark amber with almost no head. Little carbonation. Slow. Smell is very nice...malty and spicy. Smells like Christmas.

Taste is sweet and caramelly with pleasant spices. Very malty.

Mouthfeel is thick and a little sticky. Overall, I'm pretty impressed. It's nice.

Maritime Pacific Jolly Roger Christmas Ale from Maritime Pacific Brewing Company