Beach Blonde

Year-round
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes:
Reviews: 8 | Ratings: 41 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.65/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I liked this one a little better than I thought I would. It was just a 6 oz. pour in a flight. I do remember having some of their other stuff and being very impressed. But this might be the first beer of theirs I have had on draft. Recommended!

3.54/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is crystal clear yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head that died down and consistently left a short head covering the surface.
S: Light to moderate aromas of bready malts and hints of honey are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of bready malts and a faint amount of honey-like sweetness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This Helles tastes a little sweeter compared to other beers in the style. The honey-like aromas and flavors definitely make it unique.

Serving type: can

3.03/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Taste: crisp and cracker like, hint of sweet, some hop, some wheat. mild yeast bread nose. Light gold, crystal clear, smaller head and lace. Medium/ light body. OK with pizza. 18 IBUs

3.56/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a little darker than I expected at a medium straw with a rapidly reducing white head. The smells are of a typical malty note in a hells style, Andi thought it was slightly on the too sweet side for me.crisp clean mouthfeel.i like the abv at 5.3 and thought it wasn't a waste of money but I wouldn't buy again with surly hells at the same price point.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is pale malts and odd spices/almost Like Checkers fries. The flavor is pale malts, fruit, a hint of German yeast and a tart/slightly dry finish.

3.29/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I first tried this beer on tap at an old watering hole I hadn't frequented in a while. I thought it was pretty good then and was happy to see a local retailer carrying cans from this new(ish) local(ish) brewery.

12 ounce can, 5.3 ABV clearly marked on the can. Date not so clearly ink-jetted on the can's side: 09/28/16... hope that's a canning date.

L -- Slightly hazy, deep gold color with a firm white head that holds up well and leaves good lacing.

S -- Mild DMS up front with light malt sweetness.

T -- Somewhat nutty and grainy malt character with a good sweetness in the finish and crackery graininess in the aftertaste. Light spicy bitterness thru the finish to the aftertaste and a light citrus note in the aftertaste.

F -- Soft to lightly dry mouthfeel with a light-medium body.

O -- An overall good drinker, if not as clean and refined as the drafts I had. The crackery graininess reminds me more of local regional brews from the past, not necessarily a Munich Helles. I'll be looking for the draft again to re-sample and see if anything impresses me differently.

4.24/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Crystal Lake Brewing Beach Blonde Golden Lager. Obtained from my local Jewel in a 6 pack of 12 oz. cans.

Look: Poured into a Nonic Pint Glass; a gold color, slightly hazy, so much better already than a standard Lager. Light pour creates a 1cm white head which dissapates into a small film over a few minutes.

Smell: Very APA/IPA. Strong note of hops, fruity citrus, overall great smell, especially for an APL.

Taste: WOW. This is really where the beer shines. The hops are present, but not overpowering. The citrus flavors are present, but well balanced. This is a perfect taste for a beer! Present flavor, but extremely drinkable.

Feel: Looks are deceiving. Very mild carbonation, even though bubbles ar noticeably apparent, almost like a soda. Extremely drinkable, very session worthy. Would definitely have another.

Overall: Personally, I had low standards for this beer, even though it's a microbrew. I can't believe this was brewed by the same company that is located nearly 5 miles away from my house! I was extremely impressed with this beer and will be visiting the Brew House very shortly to try all their other brews. I thought nothing could top Two Brothers or even Goose Island, but I was wrong; this beer I amazing!

3.25/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from tap in a flared pokal at the tap room.

Starting off my initial visit to Crystal Lake Brewing with their lightest offering. It pours a clear pale brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises vague cereal grains and a touch of sweetgrass. The taste brings in more of the same, the underlying sweetness of the grains coming through without becoming all that strong. The body is fairly light, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, there's nothing wrong with this beer, but it stands as a somewhat boring offering, something to drink without thinking about it.

Beach Blonde from Crystal Lake Brewing