Monk's Uncle Tripel | The Pike Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Monk's Uncle TripelMonk's Uncle Tripel

The Pike Brewing Company
Washington, United States
pikebrewing.com

Style: Tripel

Added by bodybyadam on 01-04-2007

3.6

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked up a bomber in late March from Total Wine for $3.99.

Beer poured golden with a decent white head on the initial pour.

Nose is malty with hints of fruity esters.

Taste is sweet with a big malt base and no remarkable side characteristics.

Mouthfeel is heavier than normal for the style, feels more like an imperial stout than a tripel.

Overall this beer really does not fit the true tripel style but it does make a decent drinking strong ale.

2.75/5  rDev -23.6%

3.42/5  rDev -5%

Although it did have a head and a bit of lace, average is as best I can score it on appearance. Tripels are usually highly carbonated with a giant head, this one is merely average.

Flavor and aroma are more in line with what I'd expect from a tripel. spicy yeasty flavors and notes of clove and banana, black pepper.

Carbonation is smooth and medium, a bit under what I'd expect for a tripel, but in this case it's not a huge liability as the beer still drinks pretty well, and troof be told, the mouthfeel is pretty good.

Overall in the world of tripels, it's not a big stand-out. There are a lot of really badass tripels, and this one ain't really badass. But it's not bad, and honestly failing to stand out in a category that's full of whales isn't a horrible sin. For the price I'm happy with this beer and I'd drink it again when I'm in the mood for a tripel but don't feel like going whaling.

3.17/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Quite the golden goose when it pours, but that is where it peaks. . . Smell is almost a high note. Very prominent in its fragrant tart flavors. . . Too bad it overwhelms in the same sense for the taste. . . Borderline sour with hints of grapefruit and melon. . .

A wealthier man's poor beer to its own right when you get down to the nitty gritty of it all. . .

2.14/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Wow. The first thing that hit me was it was reminiscent of drinking a coors or bud but hoppy like an IPA. the smell was very familiar like that. My first inclination was to dump it in the sink and chalk it up as an experiment gone bad but I couldn't bring myself to waste beer, even something that was as nasty as this. I'm thinking maybe I got a bad one. I could not read the bottling date. Possibly bought it past its prime, but it was just purchased at Costco a few weeks ago.
Obviously I will not be going back here again. Triple is just not my style I guess.

1.75/5  rDev -51.4%

3.25/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22oz bomber served in pint glass. Beer is pale golden in color, not quite translucent, and topped with very little white head. Sweet and fruity on the nose, suggesting ripe peaches or pears. Flavor is highly contrasted, combining the sweetness detected in the armoa with yeasty astringency and a moderate dose of hops. Grain flavors are muddled and fall into the background with everything else going on here. There's also a serious presence of alcohol. At 9%, there are other tripels that hide it a lot better, and with more interesting flavor. The finish is neither sugary nor crisp. Rather, there's a cloying flavor of what I can only describe as stale spices (clove, cinnamon) that have lost their potency and are now bland, dry, and harsh. (I should note that though there's no freshness date, this beer was purchased recently, and locally, so I have no qualms above reviewing it).

Drinkable but would recommend not committing to a large serving.

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The aroma had all the classic Tripel notes of bubblegum and Belgian yeast followed by the same classic notes in the taste with a bit of the clove spiciness and candy sweetness. The biggest disappointment was the finish. Every sip ended with a bitter back-end that was not good. Don’t get me wrong, I can take bitter as I love the hoppy IPA’s, but this bitter ending is not what I look for in a tripel. With the high alcohol content, I took my time, and as it warmed the taste and aroma remained consistent as did that bitter finish. In the end it left me a little underwhelmed as I expect a lot out of a Belgian style Tripel. It was definitely worth a try, but I will probably grab a different Tripel in the future

Monk's Uncle Tripel from The Pike Brewing Company