Monk's Uncle Tripel | The Pike Brewing Company

good
good
Read the review
Monk's Uncle TripelMonk's Uncle Tripel

Added by bodybyadam on 01-04-2007

3.6

3.5/5  rDev -2.8%

3.83/5  rDev +6.4%

A friend of mind gave this to me as a Christmas present!

I poured this into a snifter.

A: It poured sort of an apricot-peach color, extremely and consistently cloudy, and not much head to speak of... maybe a couple of bubbles here and there.

S: This was far too cold to get anything at first, but after I let it warm for a few minutes, I got some really Belgian funk notes. The citrus component was of the mandarin orange variety... rolled in tons of sugar.

T: This beer is the closest to mimicking Unibroue's taste profile without actually being Unibroue that I've ever tasted. It's uncanny actually. I got that sort of booze-infused toasted orange that I commonly associate with their signature. The way the candy sugar worked its way into my palate really worked here.

M: Some of the booze that I got on the first few sips started to subside, and all of the flavors started to come together. There was virtually no lacing, and this was a sipper for sure!

O: There was nothing complex here, but definitely a lot to appreciate. I haven't tasted a bright, straight-forward trippel like this in a while and enjoyed my session with it.

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Delirium Tremens snifter. No readable freshness date.

A- Pours a cloudy light gold color with a 1/2 inch head that resolves quickly into an 1/8 inch ring around the edge of the glass and some typical surface bubbles.

S- Aroma of crisp Belgian style yeast. Alcohol fumes are coming on strong. Has a somewhat sour smell too.

T- Man, this has some kick. Strong esters from the high alcohol combined with intense yeast that also provide some banana notes. No sour notes like the aroma hinted at though. Boozy aftertaste as it starts to warm sooner than expected. A bit overzealous if you ask me.

M- Medium carbonation sets the stage for a kick in the palate. Not bad, all things considered.

O- This is a good beer but all it does is remind me of better Tripels. Could use some more balance. A decent stab at the style though.

3.67/5  rDev +1.9%

22oz bottle (no dates or codes; purchased in April 2011) poured into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear golden color w/ a clean white head, light carbonation.

Aroma is mild floral Belgian yeast and pale malt. A little mustiness, some light spicy notes.

Taste generally follows nose. Floral, musty, slightly spicy. Some bitterness, medium body, clean finish.

Overall this is an OK beer but it doesn't stand out in any way. In a field crowded with outstanding tripels, there's not much reason to come back to this one.

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into regular pint glass.

A - Poured hazy golden orange color with big white head that quickly dissipated leaving light lacing around the glass.

S - Mostly citrus, apple and earthy spices.

T - Sweet brown sugar, honey with apple fruitness followed by malts and yeast with citrus bitterness and slightly spicy finish. Alcohol is not masked at all.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Good representative of tripel from US brewery but ABV is not hidden at all and this tripel comes through as too boozy.

Got home from a tasting tonight and have decided to hit the stash and drink a tripel. This beer reminds of my trip to Washington State and Pike Brewery in Seattle. 22 oz. beer was poured into a large Duvel snifter.

Appearance: The beer poured a 1.5 finger head that has reduced quickly and left some lacing along the glass. Pours a nice hazy/foggy yellow color with slight signs of carbonation

Smell: bananas, raisins, sweet malts, grains, honey, app;es, and spices like cloves. Can't wait to try a sip.

Taste: Same as smell. Delicious. Alcohol is hidden very well in this beer. Got to take another sip.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, nicely carbonated, easy on the palate, and I just want more to dirnk. Bomber is almost done.

Overall: Even though I am not going to Pike Street anytime soon in Seattle a few blocks from the Public Market, at least I can get some of their beers at local places to remind me of the awesome trip around the Olympic Peninsula and ferry ride into Seattle. A good tripel worth the money. Can't wait to get another bottle.

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 ounce bottle - $4.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, tarnished gold body with a near-tall, foaming, near white head.

Smell: A sweetish, faintly grainy, faintly tangy nose of pilsner malt and malted wheat. A somewhat heavy helping of clove-like spiciness, and a fair inclusion of alcohol on the nose. Fruity elements in the back of pears, apples, and 'nanas.

Taste: A blend of pils, pale, and wheat malt with a medium level of honeyesque sweetness and hint of baked loaf bread. Sip of banana, Golden Delicious apple, and tart pear juice that's been well (over) spiced with finely-ground cloves and cinnamon and given an extra spicy boost from the hops. Splash of spirits noticed. Drying, spicy finish with a hint of booze.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: It's decent, acceptable, but in some ways distant from being a truly noteworthy American-bred tripel (though the cost is relatively competitive, I will say that).

4.37/5  rDev +21.4%

A: pours an attractive cloudy pale straw color with an off-white head then settles to a pleasant thin foam.

S: powerful and I mean powerful fruit scent comes off this thing and it is a clean fruitiness, apricot, spice, yeast, fresh bread, banana, raisin, winter holidays... it goes on. A beautiful and warm aroma.

T: immediate spiciness and brown sugar, dark caramel, banana, heavy baked good like scones or biscuits, with a bitter punch that sneaks up on you in the end.

M: very comforting. A low end level of carbo makes it more real, and the liquid is just thick enough to have the body to stand up to its potent flavors and yet it is not sticky. Superb.

O: What can be said? This ale is a winner. Pike has done a fantastic take on this traditional style. It's got a bit more muscle and a little less grace than many higher end European varieties, but that is keeping with the American style.

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My new favorite tripel!

This had everything I look for in a tripel. Some bubble-gummy sweetness, a hoppy dryness, good carbonation, and a color that's not too light. So maybe I lean toward the American-style tripel, but to be honest, I've enjoyed American tripels better than most Belgian tripels, with a few exceptions. (But maybe that could be said for most beer styles, at least for me.)

Some tripels leave me wondering... sometimes they're a bit wheaty, or too hoppy, or just a bit bland ("golden" in my mind), but this one left no wonder. It was a tripel, without a doubt, the whole package. I liked it a lot, and was left wanting more than the 22 oz I had. It reminded me why I had enjoyed my past visits to the Pike so much.

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%

my second review, bear with me!

picked up a 22 oz of this at the Safeway near the Junction in West Seattle. poured into a goblet.

Appearance: pours a brilliant orangish gold that tries so hard not to look yellow. one finger head with white foam that quickly dissipates. far from clear, almost hazy.

Smell: floral, evergreen/piney, peaches - maybe nectarines, roasty banana aroma.

Taste: hop-like, fizzy (not like carbonated or a soft-drink, soft fizz/foamy), 9.0% alcohol content hidden very well, quite subtle, but shows up in after taste (which is malty and corn-like).

Mouthfeel: again - sort of fizzy or foamy, fun like a champagne.
goes down with ease, but seems like fruit flavors get stuck to the throat (density?).

Overall: a very drinkable Tripel, my first offering from Pike in my new hometown of Seattle, which I must say is well done for such a "foreign" style.

3.73/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at the brewery. Poured a brilliant yellow-amber with two fingers of bright white head. Aroma of banana, orange, and a hint of clove.

Moderate carbonation and a syrupy, somewhat light mouthfeel. Quite sweet with a pretty generic Belgian flavor profile -- banana, orange/lemon, clove, and lots of sugary, slightly nutty malt.

The higher ABV was well-concealed and this tripel was pleasant enough, but came across fairly generic in the end. I could have used a little more spice and earthiness to balance the sweeter flavor profile.

3.77/5  rDev +4.7%

Happy 4th of July!!! Very little head was produced with my pour. Less than a finger of white semi thick foam. Lace is almost non-existent, with little cling. Smell is thick with aromas of caramel, oranges, pear, vanilla, cinnamon, malt, and grapefruit. Taste is full of flavors of sour dough biscuits, melon, grapefruit, sour cream, sweet malt, and lemon peel. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, but it leaves a coating on the back of my tongue that I think I could scrape off with a putty knife. Overall this tripel is worth the price, lots of buzz, good taste, and not a bad looker. I don't recommend this for yard work beer because the buzz from this brew will most likely cause you to run into a tree, or cut a power cord.

3.97/5  rDev +10.3%

Poured from a bomber, nice straw color with a 1" head on a violent pour and after a few minutes the head was reduced to a thin white halo that didn't really lace the glass. Floral, yeast smell typical of a belgian. A floral alcohol taste with bread, malt, and a little lingering kick at the end. I was worried about some of the earlier reviews, but was plesantly suprised, especially for the price of $4.50 per bomber- a steal in my book.

2.61/5  rDev -27.5%

A- Deep gold with a decent head that leaves some lacing along the sides of the glass on its way down.

S- Lots of grassy hops with maybe a touch of sweet bubblegum and earthy yeast aromas. Not enough of the classic tripel yeast byproduct smells for my liking.

T- Cloying malt melds with the grassy hops to create an altogether unpleasant flavor. This tastes less like a tripel than an under attenuated pilsner. Goes dry at the end with a light bitterness.

M- Slick, medium body with a good dose of carbonation.

Not impressive, to say the least. I got none of the classic tripel flavors from this. It tasted more like a pilsner gone bad than a tripel. It's cheap, so if you want to give it a shot, have at it; it won't cost you more than five bucks. If you want a decent tripel, however, look elsewhere.

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into a Tulip glass.

A - Burnt light orange in color,slight haze, poured a finger frothy white head that receded quickly leaving medium lacing onthe sides of the glass.

S - Some spices,getting some nice orange with a bread backbone, a bit light scent wise.

T - Malty taste with some orange and gylcerol, maybe a bit medicinal, finihses with a bread taste.

M - Medium bodiws with light carbonation

D - The more I drink this there seems to be some aspects of an English Pale Ale, I was expecting a bit more zest in the flavors.

3.31/5  rDev -8.1%

Yup, from Seattle, but still had never really seen this on tap... So I jumped on it. Initially, I was a little bit miffed because it was served in Pike's ultra tulip style glass, and the server was expounding on how the good people over at Pike (I really do like their beer) made the glass to enhance the aroma and head of the beer. The problem--it amounts to MAYBE a 10 ounce pour. He justified that because of the high alcohol content. I am an adult, give me a damned beer.

With that said, here are some thoughts:

Appearance: Extremely clear, burnt orange/hay color. Thick white head. I read that some people who had poured out of bottles had more of a hazy appearance, but mine was clear as day out of the tap.

Smell: I thought the aroma lacked a bit, but the two notes I got were primarily oranges and bread. Typical of the style, but nothing that bowled me over.

Taste: Really easy to drink, if that is what you are going for. This seemed like the Tripel you would want on a hot summer day... Cool, refreshing, but nothing to make you sit and ponder.

Overall: I thought this was just average. I could have had four/five/six more just because of how easy it was to drink... But I would not classify this as an overly complicated beer/flavor.

Monk's Uncle Tripel from The Pike Brewing Company