Pike India Pale Ale | The Pike Brewing Company

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

4.5/5  rDev +20%

4.75/5  rDev +26.7%

3.82/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pike IPA has a medium, creamy, cream-colored head, an opaque, orange appearance, some visible bubbles stuck to the side of the glass, and a bit of lacing left behind. The aroma is of musty, piney hops, hop oil, some citrus, and malt. Taste is of alcohol, piney oil, dank, wet hay, white bread and white bread crust, lots of hop bitterness, especially in the aftertaste, and a bit of citrus peel. Mouthfeel is medium to heavy and soft, and Pike IPA finishes wet, heavy, sloshy, and drinkable. Overall, this is one of those heavy, mushy Indian Pale Ales. It’s still remarkable and worth trying.

RJT

2.83/5  rDev -24.5%

Bottled: unk

Pours a honey color with plenty of yeast globs. Broken sheet of light cream foam. Smells like earthy hops, a touch of grapefruit and resin - standard NW style, but sans artistry. Tastes bitter with biscuit and warm malts. Really simple flavor with little left to ponder. Medium bodied with moderate carb and an off-dry finish. Meh.

1.25/5  rDev -66.7%

4.06/5  rDev +8.3%

I have never been to Seattle, but Sheryl went this year for a few days. She stayed in downtown Seattle and had a great time. Now that we are in Arizona, hopefully we can take a week there in the near future. While she was there she went to Pike Brewing Company. She brought back some beers including the Pike Monk’s Uncle Tripel Ale (which is on our list) and the Pike IPA, which is also on our list. Tonight we are digging into a bottle of the IPA with hope it made the trip from Indiana without harm. The last few beers we opened that traveled west with us have been spoiled. This one looks good in the bottle… let’s drink!

In the Glass: This is a good looking IPA. We have a bomber of this, so it makes nearly two pints. The beer is thick, almost orange, and has a huge rich foamy head. The head sticks around for a while, too. The lace is perfect… what a good IPA should be! This is my first beer from Pike, and while I haven’t been to Seattle, I am excited to try this beer.

Nose: Not as much nose as I had hoped. But since this beer traveled with us from Indiana, I have to count my lucky stars that we can even drink it! Cheers to that. What I am getting from the nose is subtle earthy aroma that reminds me of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Granted, the Dogfish Head is nearly 20% ABV… but the balance that beer brings, even though it has such an impressive ABV, is still something to write home about.

Flavor: The flavor is nice. It isn’t as hoppy as I wanted, but even though I consider myself a “hop head”, I can still appreciate a well-balanced IPA. That is what this is. There are some earthy notes in the flavor, as well. Not like chewing on dirt or anything… but there is some substance there. From the time it hits your lips, it is just a smooth and enjoyable experience.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is nice, too. There isn’t much going on up front, but when it hits the back of your palate, the thickness kicks in and you get a feeling for the craft part of this craft beer. This isn’t your average IPA. There is a certain thickness that reminds me of some home brews I have had. Toward the end, the beer quickly turns to the best part… the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: Whoa, that’s a nice aftertaste. The beer is thick, and leaves a mighty finish on your tongue… then you swallow thinking there is still beer in your mouth. Nope. That’s just the thick and creamy aftertaste that I wish all beers had. The aftertaste lasts, too. I am talking a good three minutes or more. It’s weird, because with most hoppy beers, the aftertaste is there but quickly turns to a copper flavor. This beer just hangs on with that creaminess that you experience across the board. A very well done IPA.

This is my first experience with Pike beers… and I am impressed. I can’t wait to get out to Seattle and try these beers on at the brewery. Imagine drinking these at the brewpub. Can’t wait!!! I would say, even if you don’t like an IPA, you would enjoy this. There is enough balance and malt character to go around. It’s not malty… but it is one of the most malty IPAs I have had in a while. Bottoms up, people!

Pike IPA – The bottle says: “NA”

4.2/5  rDev +12%

Enjoyed this bottle out of a porter glass.

A: Pours an orange hue with a white, frothy, thin head that slowly dissipates down the side of the glass leaving a nice trail and ending in a solid persistent lace.

S: Strong Munich malt aroma mixed with a piney hop aroma.

T: Malt sweetness meets hop bitterness to create a great balance. Munich malts give a caramel flavor followed by the citrus and piney hops.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Wow – what a great beer. Brilliantly balanced between the hops and malt.

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

3.3/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange color with a small off-white head on top. Not much retention or lacing.

S: Seems to a bit on the malty side for an IPA. Some graham cracker malt, caramel, and a little bread. There is some faint grass and citrus fruit.

T: Also a little maltier than I would prefer with some caramel malt pretty heavy throughout. Some light grassy and floral hops as well as some faint citrus.

M: Light to medium bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty easy drinking.

O: An average IPA, a little on the malty side.

Pike India Pale Ale from The Pike Brewing Company