Pike India Pale Ale | The Pike Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-23-2002

Reviews: 214 | Ratings: 437
4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

I picked up a couple of bottles of Pike IPA at a grocery store to taste, review and enjoy. I poured this beer in to a pint tumbler.

Pours a rich gold color and is cloudy. A HUGE thick foamy off-white head forms, and is quite resilient. The head dissipates in to peaks and valleys of foam, laces the glass nicely.

The smell is quite malty for an IPA and sweet and fruity as well. There are citrus fruit fragrances, and an evergreen aroma.

The taste has a significant malt presence. There is a flavor of toffee up front, followed by the well hopped flavor of a traditional IPA. It’s an unusual flavor combination for the style, and the flavors are well balanced.

The mouth feel is smooth and refreshing. The beer is moderately carbonated.

This is a very drinkable beer and a nice flavor variation of the style. It’s flavor is not typical, but it’s definitely an IPA, and a good choice for those who don’t care for over-hopped beers. I would certainly have Pike IPA again.

A decent, but not outstanding American IPA.

Looks good, nice amber-copper colour with a decent head. Bold hoppy smell, with an adequate malt nose to it. Bready, lemony scent with a faint toffee background.

This tastes good, but it lacks the hop punch of many Northwest IPAs I've had. Hops are there, with a decent malt backing but this just lacks a certain in-your-face attitude.

Mouthfeel is decent, and this makes a good accompaniment to a meal.

4.2/5  rDev +12%

appearance: The pour gives a low, off white head that steadily turns to just a ring around the glass and light layer of foam. A few specks of conglomerate sediment rest on the bottom of the glass, and the beer is a hazy orange-amber in color.

smell: What I think an IPA should smell like...both floral and piney hop aromas fill the nose and bring to mind candied and fresh tropical fruits and citrus. Aromas of candied and dried apples and dried apricots are found. Just enought malt sweetness in the aroma, slightly caramel, slightly grainy/bready, provides a perfect balance.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is medium and smooth. The body is also medium.

taste: Just like the smell, I find the flavor to be true to my preferences...a nice dominant hop flavor, but with just the right amount of malt to back it up. Grassy, somewhat cedary hop flavors give way to a big, piney hop bitterness in the long-lingering finish. Malty flavors or caramel provide a nice backdrop. Solid.

drinkability: easily drinkable

Brought back for me from Seattle, purchased at the brewpub

3.56/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was purchased at Jungle Jims for $1.99 for a single. The beer was poured into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer has a hazy coppery coloration. There is a large amount of sediment in the beer. The head was a creamy off colored white about an inch thick. Bits of lacing remain on the glass.

Smell: The beer has a predominately spicy citrus smell. There is not the piney resin sort of smell I was expecting. There is a pleasing malty caramel sweetness about the beer.

Taste: There is a pleasing citrus with pine undertone hops. There is a very pleasing spicy caramel maltyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium body. The hops combine with the spices to create an interesting IPA. The beer drinks slightly above average. Overall a pleasing beer drinking experience.

3.6/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Orangeish-brown Ice Tea color. half inch head, faded rather quick with some islanding.

Aroma is hops, pine, malts, apricot, and some breadiness...

Slightly bitter flavor, than hops follow with a sweet maltiness mixed in with some spice. the hops linger a bit to remind you you're drinking an american IPA. Pretty decent. Nothing that makes you say "Wow", but as Randy Jackson would say, "it was a'ight".

3.43/5  rDev -8.5%

Solid cloud like lacing, white head, held its form throughout rather well. Copper.

Citrus hops were up front. Kind of a horseblanket aroma snakes its way into the scene. Overall subtle. On a sliding scale this would be towards the more drinkable, balanced, light IPA's.

Notes: Quality drinker. Finishes crisp and refreshing, ready for another pull.

3.64/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Received this in a pint glass with almost no head, most likely the barman's fault; What bit of scum there was didn't leave lacing for longer than a few seconds, the bubbles quickly sliding back down the glass. Very clear amber-gold with streams of bubbles rising through the depths.

Smell - American honeyed malts, followed by a slightly piney, bitter punch of hops; Smells all right...

Hmm.... Warm malts start us off with a wash of smooth, fizzy carbonation, and an uppercut of spicy, flavorful hops knocks it out of the way to dominate the palate. Pretty tasty, and very strong - this is almost a double IPA. They didnt' skimp on the hops. They have a spicy character that burns all the way down the throat into the belly, like oily peppers.

Smooth and fizzy in the mouth, medium bodied, with a crisp but resinous burning finish.

This was a pretty good IPA, definitely robust and aggressive - I'd call it a double, really. It went pretty well with my spicy chicken sandwich at the brewery.

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

Served in a 12oz bottle.
Very bland for an IPA, the hops were just not strong enough. Where's the flavor?! Where's the bitter?! Don't get me wrong, it's a decent beer, but I expect more hoppiness out of an IPA. The one plus is that since the hops are not that strong, it's easy to have a few of these. But, honestly, that's not really a good thing.

The beer is a deep, dark golden almost amber in colour, with a nice bubbly, chunky light tan head.
Great aroma of spicy, citric hops! Refreshing.
This is definatlly a hop heads IPA, even by Pacific North West standards this is full of the grapfruit like flavours of hops. The malt really doesnt get a look in in this one..so its hops all the way.
Good on the tongue, quite refreshing and not to thick, great aftertaste, that goes on and on.
Good drinkable hoppy IPA, would definatlly have another..and another..and another :-)

3.88/5  rDev +3.5%

Enjoyed on tap at the brew pub itself. Cloudy straw color (chill haze?). Fantastic lacing and a head that sticks around. Citrusy hop flavor. Assertive bitterness. Very easy to drink. If I had to say something negative I would say that it could use more hoppy aroma.

4.01/5  rDev +6.9%

10/05/05- Purchased at Bottleoworks in Seattle, WA.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with a best by dating tab on the side of the label. Poured into my Englander pint glass.

Appearance- Just a tad cloudy amber-orange colored pour. Creamy as hell looking sterling white head of about 3/4 inches. Very nice clinging lace on the sides. A nice layer of head remains constant throughout the whole beer.

Smell- Somewhat light toasted malt scent, but it is there. Combined with a sugary and candied hop scent.

Taste- Sugary to be sure, but a very large pine tasting hop blast awaits. Nice dark malt flavoring as well. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A touch watery in the mouth, with some lighter carbonation. Sort of thin mouthfeel.

Drinkability- If this dude had a bit more carbonation, it would be one kick ass IPA. Even as it stands it is one that I would buy again. Nice hophead style IPA.

4.09/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Light copper with a good two-finger head with superb retention. Very little lacing.

Smell: Very sweet malty citrus on this one. I smelled this beer and said “this smells very specifically like a breakfast cereal. I handed it to a friend and he agreed. This beer smells like Fruity Pebbles. I’m sorry. I consider myself a serious beer reviewer – read my other reviews. I would have thought I was crazy until somebody identified it right away. Anyway, those fruity esters are pleasant and make the smell of this beer really stand out.

Taste: The simple single-malt, single-hop profile on this beer impart a very solid, consistent taste. It’s less hoppy than I would expect from an IPA, but the superb malt stands out and is reigned in slightly by a moderate hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium, appropriately carbonated.

Drinkability: I find this very drinkable. I could have many of these and I look forward to my next one.

3.68/5  rDev -1.9%

On-tap at the brewpub.

My second beer of the afternoon from Pike. Somewhay hazy peachy-copper in color. Nice lacing on the pint glass. Aromas are a mixture of floral and citrus. Nothing to nose-piercing. Flavor is a more balanced mix of the citric-floral hops and a sweet, almost caramel malt flavor. Finish is dry and long-lasting with bitterness. Good mouthfeel and drinkable.

4.12/5  rDev +9.9%

One of my favourite brews from Pike.

It's a fairly good representation of an American IPA... though it doesn't have as much citrousy cascade flavour as the Pyramid IPA.

Pike's beers seem to be on the bitter side... and for this style, it works VERY well.

4.21/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pouring this somewhat quelled any fears I might've had with this one. It looked like a glass of honey capped by frothy cream. I was like a cat with new furniture ... I wanted to dig my claws right in.
Luckily I did calm myself enough to at least get a whiff of the portrait in a glass. Nothing to write your mother over. Very good piney, almost like a pine apple, and grapegruity ... but this certainly wasn't pheremones in a glass. Better than average.
Oh boy, I'm detecting a hint of vanilla, followed up instantly with delicious bitter hoppy grapefruit and malt that kicks you in the teeth. At the tail end, when you don't expect any new developments, there's a bit of grain. This beer has made me so happy! The mouthfeel is nice and full, with carbonation that makes you want to chew but isn't overdone.
Even at a 6.3%, this one demands you drink another, ONE IS NOT ENOUGH. Glad I bought a six pack.
Note: I've struggled a long time to find an IPA that came in 6 Pack form that I could pick up in my neighborhood. My work is now done. My old standby was Bridgeport IPA, but Pike's has easily made a believer of me. If you want a safe bet, put your money on me buying this again and again.

3.97/5  rDev +5.9%

This is a fine example of PNW IPA with the benefit of having a good malt backbone. The beer gains complexity and flavour once it warms up with a nice citrusy hop nose sitting on top of a balanced body. The beer also likes meat dishes and BBQ . Make sure that the beer has room to breathe to maximize the nose,

3.62/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite very perfectly amber. Little head, good smell.
Sharp bite of bitter green that gets more and more bitter. Dandelion. Chicory. There's color so I'm sure there's malt somewhere under the sour topping. Well, the malt is more like a watercolor, or a shadow. I feel like my kids look after drinking KoolAid, like my mouth and lips are ringed in green. Numbing.

3.5/5  rDev -6.7%

Little head retention after this is poured from its 12oz bottle which interestingly boasted one of those 'best if consumed before date marked:' lines with all the months of the year listed, but none marked! It has a pleasant strong amber colour and looks tantalisingly cloudy.

Smells citrus sweet with perhaps a little caramel. I can't wait to dig into this....so the taste comes as a rather a disappointment. It is rather watery and flat (there is a little carbonation, but the bubbles are minute and not at all refreshing). The hop action is much more laid back than I had expected and comes in after a very disappointing, almost tasteless beginning. There is a nice citrus hop flavour which gradually drifts off.

Not in the same league as Pike's Kilt Lifter scotch ale. This brings a beef to light too - if you ask me the feel is more important than the appearance or the smell, but it only receives half the rating. Thus this beer is overrated!

3.73/5  rDev -0.5%

I love Pike's beers and this is a pretty good one, if not as complex as some of their other beers. With the large amounts of hops, it's just another Pac NW IPA, and lacks the identity of their Pale Ale or Kilt Lifter. It's a deep copper, with a smallish head, and lasting big-bubbled foam. The hop aroma is not too forthcoming, but the beer contain quite a bit of bitterness and large chunks of grapefruit. The malts are biscuity and pretzel-like and definitely pull their weight. A light smokiness is evident, as well as an appealing earthiness from the yeast, but the hops bash those flavors down. The bitterness lingers on the tongue a bit too long for my taste. I'd say a touch more aromatics, a fraction less bitterness, play up the yeast and burnt maltiness, and this would be near perfect. As such, it's a worthwhile beer but not outstanding.

4.1/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer pours a hazy orange color with 4 fingers of head that drop to around a finger and lots of stickey lace. The nose is very floral in the hop character balanced out with a sweet caramel malt tone. The flavor is nice, with a mellow hop profile that is very floral, balanced with a good caramel sweetness. I would like to see just a hint more citrus hop flavor in there, but that's just my personal opinion. The feel is moderate to thick in feel, and very smooth. Drinkability is good on this one. I'm glad another one came home with me. Good beer...good beer.

4.05/5  rDev +8%

Head is small, creamy white and leaves thin, sticky lacing. Beer is every-so-slightly hazy and blushing orange. Smell is sweet, syrupy, malty with piney hops. Piney hops also dominate the earthy front. Middle seems just a little watery, but it's a nice, light malt. Finish is lightly bitter with more piney hops and some nice grains. It's a nice, light IPA. West coast tastes, but no west coast SLAM. Very pleasant.

3.92/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance: Brownish goldish orangish yellowish - It was a hazy yellow-orange

Smell: It smelled pretty good. I was able to detect a fair amount of hops. It wasn't quite Stone IPA, but the smell was reminiscent of it

Taste: It had hops. My nose had properly informed me. Again, it wasn't quite Stone, but what is? I enjoyed the bitterness immensely. Like most beer, I was unable to detect the presence of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: It didn't really thrill me, but few things do. It just felt like a basic micro-brew.

Drinkability: I drank this for the first time while I was in Idaho on vacation, visiting family. I picked up 3 six packs on my 2nd day up there: 1 Red Hook IPA, 1 Quail Springs IPA, and 1 Pike's IPA. I tried all 3. The Red Hook didn't even deserve to be called an IPA. The Quail Springs had some hops, but not too much. The Pike's was the best of the 3 and the closest beer that I found to my favored son, Stone IPA. Again, I hate to keep comparing this Pike's to the Stone IPA, but living in Southern California, I have not been exposed to too many IPAs, and of the ones that I've had, Stone simply is the best. I love it like a fat kid loves cake. And I can tell you that from experience. (Did you get the self-effacing joke?) Needless to say, I drank Pike's the whole trip.

2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

What a dissapointment. Pours a light golden amber with a tiny head that did stay the same through the entire session. Lacing was average, noticable but nothing great. The smell was of funky hops and caramel. I noticed some spices such as cinnamon as well, maybe nutmeg. A little nature wiff as well. The taste was a little off balance, the bitterness of the hops while strong was not pleasant, slightly off beat, the caramel sweetness seemed raw and thin. Very dissapointing. Medium bodied, probably won't try again.

3.9/5  rDev +4%

Enjoyed this one in the brewpub in Seattle, which is a nice place and fun to look around. Pours a golden amber and very clear. Very thin to no head, but it did leave spotted lace in places around the glass. Good carbonation and ample bubbles.

The aroma and taste are both citrusy, lemon and of course, hoppy. My first thought on the taste is that of ice tea with lemon. There is a nice balanced hop flavor with a good bitter aftertaste. A very good IPA, imo.

2.88/5  rDev -23.2%

Hazed light copper. Just a skimming of a head. Lace is minimal. Not a lot on the nose. Almost smells like cinnamon and corrinader. Nothing of hop interest though. Disappointing. Flavor is a little dry and spicy. Bitterness is not clean, but rather obtrusive and a little astringent. Malts are weak, but toffeeish in nature. Body is about medium. Nothing I'd buy again....even if it were available at a store near me.

Pike India Pale Ale from The Pike Brewing Company