WoodwerX

3.31 | pDev: 24.77%
From:
Toolbox Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
WoodwerXWoodwerX
Notes:
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 22 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
floyd_pugman from California

2.33/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Drank 3/1/16; poured out of the bottle into a Bruery tulip. Rich copper color; plenty of carb. Nose of oak, light tart citrus, and mild funk. So far, so good.

Palate starts thin with lemon, moving into mild funk and then a richer, but less pleasant taste that's hard to place -- I'll say artificially-sweetened caramel for lack of a better descriptor. A mild layer of butter present as well. The flavors do not integrate well. The beer has changed since release, but not in the unambiguously positive direction that I had hoped for. Not undrinkable, but a poorly spent 22 bucks.

Mar 02, 2016
Suds_With_Buds from California

4.36/5  rDev +31.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Toolbox and thought it was one of their worst releases. I had two bottles that I completely forgot about until last night.

The brett has done so much to change the flavors of this beer in the time since it's release.

Look: hazy copper-amber color, with slight head.

Smell: cherry funky tangy.

Taste: oak heavy almost cherry flavors. The first sip leaves a light butter taste, but after the third sip it dissipates totally.

Mouthfeel: very high carb, thin, but with lingering flavors.

Overall: Glad the turned around and developed into something drinkable and even tasty as hell.

Sep 09, 2015
StoutSnob40 from California

3.98/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Update - 8/20/16: 15 months after release, I am encouraged by how this beer has aged. I tasted absolutely no off flavors. It's tasting damn strong right now.

6/30/15: I know there has been some controversy surrounding this beer, but I feel like it's well on its way to a drastic improvement with some additional bottle conditioning. It pours a cloudy amber color, which is a lot darker than I was expecting. A big head dissipates quickly. You get a ton of barrel in the aroma. It's almost fruity, even though no fruit was added. Taste is nice a light, with some good tartness up front that settles down to some nice wood quality. I get some very very slight buttered popcorn, but the brett has done a great job cleaning this up over the last 6 weeks. I will keep my other bottle for another few months, and I bet this beer will drink wonderfully. I will update my rating then.

Jul 31, 2015
vacax from California

1.36/5  rDev -58.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Copper hued with some beige fizz. Aroma is intensely buttery. Flavor is also dominated by diacetyl with a bit of background malt and metal. If there is anything interestingly it is utterly destroyed by the off flavors. Thin to medium body but I don't want to explore that element too much as there is nothing pleasant about having this beer in my mouth. Toolbox has been starting to gain a bit of a cult following and by selling this beer on Brown Paper Tickets I have to say they have totally abused that consumer trust when the beer has such glaringly technical flaws.

Jun 14, 2015