Nyssa

4.2 | pDev: 5.24%
From:
Toolbox Brewing Company

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
n/a
Notes: Barrel Aged Farmhouse Ale with Tupelo Honey.
Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3 | Log in to view all ratings and sort

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Oct 06, 2016
rodbeermunch from Nevada

3.99/5  rDev -5%

Well it looks like I was wrong, I'm not done with my Toolbox reviews from 2016. I remember when I took pics of the bottle I originally thought this was called Alyssa as opposed to its real name. 1st review here on BA.

Anyhoo, pours a saison like dark yellow/light orange with 1/2" white head. Aroma is sour saison more than traditional saison farmhouse notes. Lemon, grain, wood.

Taste I can get down with. Tupelo honey isn't sweet, but its drying effect is all over this. Its still mega sour lemon all over the place with amped up acidity. Massive french oak notes? Just has that crazy white wine burn and acidity, albeit still an enjoyable base of taste. While the abv is in the normal range, its like everything on here has been imperialized, for better and for worse. Did I enjoy it? Definitely. But its another in a long line of wild ales blended with a saison for some wild ale saison product at the end that leans more wild ale with its bracing sourness and acidity. Bring the antacid and you'll be fine.

Nov 08, 2019