Leo Beer | Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 10-09-2002

Reviews: 29 | Ratings: 71
Reviews by Daredevil:
2.12/5  rDev -20.3%

spending my hols in Thailand and sampling all local brews I can get hold of ....

smell is hoppy and nutty
the taste is somewhat chemical (there is some rumor about thai beers containing relatively large amounts of formaldehyde, which might be confirmed by this brew), lightly bitter and watery
an english style rather unpleasant lager ... neither smooth nor great taste (which would be the ad on the bottle ...)

2.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

330 ml brown glass bottle with a branded pry-off crown cap purchased at a 7-11 in Bangkok.

5% ABV.

Malty, with a malt syrup taste and an overly thick mouthfeel that prevents it from being refreshing (even in 100 F Bangkok heat). No hop character (not even grassy Noble). No yeast character (which is to style).

Smooth, wet, overcarbonated.

Adjunct flavour seems closer to maize than rice, but it's honestly not that prominent.

A lighter mouthfeel and a grainier taste would be nice to start, but this isn't trying to be anything more than a serviceable macrolager catering to the hoi polloi. I think I may prefer Chang, but at this low level of quality - does it really matter?

Low C- (2.53) / BELOW AVERAGE

---
05/30/16 brief 2nd impressions from a cold bottle at a restraining Chiang Rai.

Soft, malty, and drinkable. The biting overcarbonation I noticed previously seems to mellow out once this warms a bit (to merely "chilled" as opposed to outright cold). Refreshing though shallow and simple. I can't identify any overt adjunct aside from maybe some maize, but it does have a cheap malt extract taste.

I remain surprised at its expense relatively speaking, but maybe that's because I'm used to swill lagers like this costing a quarter of the price or less in Eastern Europe.

C- / BELOW AVERAGE

***
06.05.16 further impression from a bottle in Pai.

Flat malt taste. No depth here at all. Not horridly imbalanced, and drinkable.

C- / BELOW AVERAGE

2.68/5  rDev +0.8%

My friend brought this back with him from Thailand, just for me. And I say, if it's called Leo, why is there a leopard on the label, instead of a lion? He says "Leo does start the word leopard." So, don't call this "Lee-o"...call it "Leh".

Perfectly transparent, utterly yellow, slim, soon-gone head.

Slightly honeyish, though largely dull aroma...empty, vapid...eh...

In the mouth...wet and abysmally insipid. Evenhanded, leaning on the malt side, though possessing no particular heft. Thoroughly thin in body, and faint in flavor...a touch grainy...dull finish.

It's ultimately boring, and bland, but not horrendous.

Crap lager from Thailand. Hey, every nation has it's share.

2.25/5  rDev -15.4%

Sweet, fizzy and yellow, with absolutely no head. Too sweet with too much alcohol showing through towards the finish, quite unpleasant, hence the crappy marks i gave it, horrible.

2.46/5  rDev -7.5%

2.46/5  rDev -7.5%

My wonderful wife went to Thailand and all I got was this stinkin' beer. My fault, though. I asked her to bring back a couple beers, knowing full well that Thailand isn't exactly known for its beer. But it's always fun to try something new...

A good pour produced a thin half-inch head that thinned quickly. Color is a very pale, very clear yellow. It doesn't look appetizing.

Aroma is wet straw, corn, aluminum and urine. Yum.

Flavor offers light, crispy hops that are almost fruity, with a little malt kick in the finish. Good sweetness, but too much corn flavor swimming around. It doesn't produce the metallic twang I expected, which is a relief.

Typical for the style, but it's hard to impress in this category.

3.91/5  rDev +47%

Notes from first week of Dec 2010

630ml bottle

A: Gold with small head, but reasonable rising carbonation.

S: Nice, slightly metallic but fresh malt. Relatively rich.

T: Wow, I didn't think I'd find any decent beers here but this one is well up there with good german and Czech pilsners. Nice malt vs hop balance. Fresh.

M: Relatively smooth with medium body. Very mild but pleasant carbonation.

D: Like the bottle says, "Smooth and Great taste." I will have to agree. Best AAL I've ever had, and i was fooled into thinking it wasn't one.

3.25/5  rDev +22.2%

3.12/5  rDev +17.3%

I hadnt been to Thailand in almost 10 years and the last time I went, I really didnt care about what beer I drank. This time around I made it a point to try every different one I saw. Unfortunately, for the most part there is only about 3 or 4 different ones to choose from.

Leo, which is made by the same brewery as Singha, is a very light but refreshing beer. The beer of choice of most Thai’s, its very similar to our American light beers but with a little more flavor. A light color and if drank like most other Thai’s, gets watered down because of all the ice which instantly reminds you of Bud Light. It had a good amount of carbonation and was very easy to drink.

When I first tasted it, I thought of all the normal run-of-the-mill American beers but when I got back home, I actually longed for the bottle with the leopard staring back at me on it. Its not an exceptionally good beer but it has a taste that, over time, grows on you.

2.75/5  rDev +3.4%

This one is not a patch on Singha. Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pale yellow with a slim head that disappeared without a lace. Smelt skunked and terribly metallic. Grainwater, vinegar and grassy. Taste was nothing to write home about - grain, raw bitterness and no maltiness at all. Just a bitter rendition of grainwater. Mouthfeel was very thin with an over the top carbonation. Not recommended, unless its the last thing available.

2.64/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Not a bad beer. I get it in Thailand when I hit a hole-in-the-wall restaurant. It's better than Chang, so if I want a beer at some places in Thailand that don't have BeerLao or something, I'll get this.

2.5/5  rDev -6%

2.83/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Brought back by a friend from Thailand for my home collection. Pours a yellow colour with a white head that is fast to disappear. Aromas of malt, hops & nuts. Tastes were fairly smooth with again malt been fairly strong, but as with most mass produced Asian lagers lacking anything special. Feel was of above medium carbonation.

2.86/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Thin, no taste of hop nor malt. I prefer Chang in Thailand rather than Leo.

2.76/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

3.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.67/5  rDev +38%

A: Golden yellow, tones of carbonation, small white fuzzy head which fades to nothing in a couple minutes.

S: Smells of malt, hops, some skunk, reminds me of Pabst to some degree, and some cheap Chinese lagers.

T: Taste pretty much follows the nose, but its better than I expected. Malt, some hops, some skunk but very mild, some Pabst Blue Ribbon like taste (kind of a slight sweet Jello- like taste) but it passes way faster than Pabst’s would, and gives a nice yeasty pizzeria aftertaste.

M: Highly carbonated, light body.

O: Not bad for a cheap Thai beer. Would go well anything an American Adjunct would, but would be best with Thai food and salty snacks to fit its country of origin.

3.03/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.73/5  rDev +40.2%

Beer Leo is one of the most, if not the most, popular beer in Thailand. It is a direct competitor to Beer Chang, and from what I can tell has won the competition.

Why? 7-11 sells single bottles for 50 cents and big 630ml bottles for about a buck- very cheap in a ocuntry with high vice taxes. It is popular because it is such a good value- it tastes ok, and does not leave one with a nasty hangover.

I should mention that I have never seen a Thai person drinking it straight- it is always drunk with plenty of ice. This definitely waters it down to a very 'bud' like taste.

3.5/5  rDev +31.6%