Singha | Boon Rawd Brewery Co., Ltd

Added by UncleJimbo on 07-20-2001

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,269 |  Reviews: 477
2.91/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Pours a crystal clear pale yellow with lots of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall white head which reduces to nothing quickly. Minimal lacing is observed.

S: The aroma is primarily of sweetness, grain, and corn - like an American adjunct. Nothing special in the aroma and it is not overly strong.i

T: Flavors of adjunct malts, grain, and corn. This beer is very sweet.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Pretty good Thai beer to match with the Thai food I was having. The sweetness of the beer marries nicely with the spice flavors in the food. I thought the beer was really well paired with the food but not sure I would want to have it on it's own.

3.4/5  rDev +11.8%

A: The beer pours clear, with a typical light yellow lager colour. The head is quite foamy and vanishes quickly.

S: Typical lager smell. Nothing bad. Hint of hops.

T: The taste is a well rounded execution of your typical lager. It is slightly hoppy and offers a bitter aftertaste that isn't unpleasant.

M: Medium to heavy carbonation. Medium bodied. Slightly watery, but acceptable.

O: Pleasing to drink. Nothing special, but an above average beer.

3.42/5  rDev +12.5%

From a bottle stamped: FILL070511-EXP 070512. Sampled on February 25, 2012. The pour is pale yellow with active carbonation and a small short-lived white head. There are grains and malts on the nose but little else. But that is about average for the style. Thin to medium body. The taste brings out the malty character more but it is also pretty grainy. Some crisp hops fill in the blanks. All I can say is that it is very typical of the style.

3.35/5  rDev +10.2%

11.2 fl. oz, poured into a pint glass.

I had an amazingly productive day today, as good a day today as yesterday was bad. I figured I’d reward myself with a quick beer before hitting the rack. And with that, here we go…

A: It’s very yellow in color, but I was expecting that. It’s bubbly, but I was also expecting that. What I wasn’t expecting was the head; not only did it hit 3 cm, it held for a minute and a half. It has my attention, for the most part.

S: It smells like hops, grass and lemon. If you plug those three ingredients into your database memory, you’re bound to come up with lager as one of your top three styles. Nothing overpowers anything else. This beer now has even more of my attention.

T: Okay, this beer now has me slightly confused. That’s not a bad thing per se, it just means that I have to play beer detective. I can taste the hops, and the grass, and the lemon, but there’s something sweet there, in a pretty decent proportion. The closest I can come is orange, one of the sweeter, less tangy varieties. There’s also kind of a breadiness to it; interesting, much more than I expected. Cool.

M: Pretty good, just on the border of very good. I could be convinced that it’s very good with the right argument. It’s light in body, well-carbonated, washes quite nicely over the palate, and leaves a fairly dry finish. It even burps well.

O: Surprisingly good beer; I’ll admit that I wasn’t expecting much, but it overachieved. It’s a nice, simple beer, but well-crafted. I’d get another one of these from the local beer store, and knock down something nice and salty to go along with it. Until the next time, everyone.

2.97/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured into glass a pale yellow without any head.

Smells sweet and malty.

Tastes much the same as the smell. Not bad tasting but not great, everything about this beer is average.

Feels carbonated on the tongue.

Overall very average. often the best choice at the Thai restaurant.

3.63/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

330ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

An aggressive pour yields a two finger white head over a clear medium yellow beer.

Aroma is just a touch skunky at first but this soon fades leaving a pleasant grassy hop aroma along with some bready grain.

Flavor is a pleasant malty sweetness and bready grain. Grassy hops are present in the beginning yielding to a crisp drying bitterness. The beer finished quite clean with decent bitterness, almost like a pilsener.

Overall a pretty decent beer. Would be a great thirst quencher with some Thai food.

3.5/5  rDev +15.1%