Blonde Doppelbock | Capital Brewery

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

Reviews: 191 | Ratings: 287
3.04/5  rDev -21%

A: Very clear, light golden amber. One finger white head, tight bubbles. Few medium bubble float to top. Head disappears quickly.

S: Sweet, malty and light. A bit tinny.

T: Malty and sweet. Thick with a metallic taste. The ABV is 7.8 and I can taste it. I've had brew with a much higher ABV that masked it a lot better. Though the smell was light and crisp, the taste is less so. I get a malty thick taste that lingers forever.

M: Again, the thick malt taste isn't that appealing to me. It looks so refreshing and tastes so oppressively thick.

D: I almost feel bad that I don't like this beer more, but I wouldn't drink another one. I'm not feeling the caramel malt in this one, I can taste it, but I'm not liking it.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Minor lacing along the interior of the glass, light to medium gold in color, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Lots of sweet grains - malts dominate the nose, I pick up little to no hop aroma, very slight burn - 3.00, T: A decent spicy hop bite, quite grassy and with a jolt of alcohol burn, quite bready and with a thin toasty flavor - 2.75, M: A little on the side of being slick, medium mouth feel - 3.00, D: A blonde Doppelbock is not your standard style and hence I'm not sure what to expect, all in all this was an okay beer but not one that blew me away - 3.00

I took "blonde" to mean light, which is a misconception I know, but I was still surprised how substantial this beer was. Lots of caramel, lots of malt, viscous. Not bad, but for all the compounds that were clearly suspended in the liquid (evident from the mouthfeel and thickness), it didn't taste like all that much. Sort of a mismatch to me. Still, not a bad beer, and I thought it OK.

Color is a dirty-blonde amber color. This beer is pretty thick and had very little head. I don't know the nutritional info on this beer, but pouring gave me the impression that it is a calorie bomb. Aroma is caramel but rather faint. Flavor takes a back-seat to mouthfeel, which is thick and full and combined with the flavor reminiscent of malt syrup. Still, it was good in that the maltiness intensity was clearly communicated, yet the beer didn't taste grainy or overly cerealy.

Not bad, and more than I was expecting. However, I was a bit disappointed in the intensity of flavor delivered, particularly given a very heavy mouthfeel. I'd weakly recommend.

I bought this as a single from 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

Definitely lighter than others of the style... Very sweet and fruity malt aromas... Overly sweet.. Lots of apple and raisins... Loads of sweet caramel malts with the apple and raisin present here as well... Strange aftertaste present as well... This one isn't working for me... Very average doppelbock...

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

I know what you're thinking: how can there exist a blond doppelbock? Well, don't get too excited because this is about as blonde as... uhh... who's a famous red-haired person? It's as blonde as Samantha Morten in _Synecdoche, New York_! Yep. It's really dark amber, pale for a doppel, with a fabulous head.

Smells light. Very grainy. You get a light hint of that zippy bock malt I so enjoy, but also an odd hint of something a little too strong.

Tastes like zippy, hugely sweet bock malt up front. Coyingly sweet. A bit too much. Balance is attempted from alcohol and yeast bitternes, but the result is a rollercoaster of scary extremes.

You get used to it, after a few sips, but it never quite comes together. None of it is bad, really, but when you combine its lack of balance with its huge intensity it's really not that good.

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

12 oz. bottle with a simple, but classic label of the Capital Dome surrounded by a blue record. Coming out of the record are thin gold lines. In the lower left hand corner is the ABV%. No back label because all the mandatory Government information along with another picture of the Capital Dome can be found on the neck label. No best before date, but there is an inked bottle code on the neck.

When poured into a Paulaner Salvator Pilsner glass, this "Blonde" Doppelbock was a clear amber orange with a streak or two of lemon yellow. The head of foam was a complete disappointment. The initial head of foam was 3/4 of an inch in height and egg shell white in color. Even though it was a decent size, it was one of those fizzy heads of foam. This fizzy white head of foam fizzled away in a matter of only one second. It didn't even bother to leave a steak or spot of lace. I only saw a small handful of rings along the edge. That's all she wrote folks!

This Doppelbock had a semi sweet aroma. The most dominate aroma was the sweet malt. There wasn't much of anything behind the sweet malt. All my nose was able to find was a pinch of orange peel and a subtle whiff of hops. Even when I swirled this beer around and around, nothing new came out. More sweet malt emerged, but that was it. Again, that's all she wrote folks!

After the disappointing appearance and smell, I was hoping that this beer would come through where it matters most, the taste. I hate to say this, but it didn't. It was just as disappointing as the smell and taste. The taste was all about the sweet malt and the alcohol. I'm still not sure why a 7.8 ABV% Doppelbock had so much alcohol in it. In between the sweet malt and the alcohol was the taste of orange and bitter hops. It was too hard to tell what kind of hops they were. Not much going on in this beer unless you really like the taste of alcohol.

Medium bodied Doppelbock with an OK level of carbonation and a quick aftertaste of sweet malt and more alcohol. Even though I could taste the alcohol at every twist and turn, I couldn't feel the alcohol go to work.

I tried so hard to find something nice to say about this beer, but it's so hard when I find a beer that has very little to offer. I was hoping that not all of these tasted like this so I bought another bottle from another store. I got the same thing from the second bottle. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

2.92/5  rDev -24.2%

Going off old notes. Pours a rust color with super small off white head. Nose is pale malts, white grapes, slight honey. Tastes same as the nose, fairly sweet. Medium bodied, low carbo. A nice session beer

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear lighter amber. Nose is sweetened malts. Flavor is quite sweet, light brown sugar with a high level of malts. Winter fruits also prevalent with an oh so little hint of bitterness in the finish. I founds this to be almost cloyingly sweet. Nice malt and fruit notes were suffocated by the syrupy body of this brew. Thanks to JeffKrenner for the bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured a honey-orange into a Duvel tulip with a minimal film of white head.

Fairly strong and slightly musky/metallic aroma of caramel and brown sugar. Low to moderate carbonation and a fairly chewy mouthfeel, flavor is actually more creamy and toasty than sweet -- not what I expected with this style. Fairly quick and slightly watery finish with more bready malts and a slight bitterness. Higher ABV is not especially masked.

I enjoy doppelbocks quite a bit, but I must say that this one let me down. Nice aroma, but not much taste to back it up. Maybe I got a skunky bottle?

2.86/5  rDev -25.7%

This beer was ok, but very unimpressed. This was my first foray into so-called "Blonde Doppelbocks" and it disappointed me. Way too sweet for my taste. No carbonation, no lacing, no head off tap. Could have been better,or at least not labeled as a doppel.

2.6/5  rDev -32.5%

Twelve ounce bottle acquired as an extra. Served in a pilsner glass and consumed on 07/17/2008.

Grabbed this one out of the fridge last night before dinner and intended to enjoy it while I was eating, but it did not really turn out that way. The pour was rather dull, with an amber color, with nice clarity but that was about it. No head really ever, except for maybe a broken ring of lace on the top but that was about it. Some light carbonation streaming from the bottom, but the whole thing really did not strike me as overly impressive.

The aroma was more of the same. Light roasted malts, with a musty and very bready profile. Nothing really that would tell me the style or what direction this was going to go in. The flavor was just not good, at least for me. This one tasted stale, moldy bread and gym socks would be the appropriate description. Decent body, but again slick, with not enough carbonation in it to really make a difference. No real hint of alcohol, but still, this was a mess. No direction and everything taste stale.

Overall I was a bit shocked and let down by this one. I have had good luck with Capital so far and this was the first one that threw me. Nothing that would keep me from trying them again in the future, but it does make me take pause. Oh well on to the next one.

Blonde Doppelbock from Capital Brewery