Blonde Doppelbock | Capital Brewery

capitalbrewery.com

Style: Doppelbock

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

I took "blonde" to mean light, which is a misconception I know, but I was still surprised how substantial this beer was. Lots of caramel, lots of malt, viscous. Not bad, but for all the compounds that were clearly suspended in the liquid (evident from the mouthfeel and thickness), it didn't taste like all that much. Sort of a mismatch to me. Still, not a bad beer, and I thought it OK.

Color is a dirty-blonde amber color. This beer is pretty thick and had very little head. I don't know the nutritional info on this beer, but pouring gave me the impression that it is a calorie bomb. Aroma is caramel but rather faint. Flavor takes a back-seat to mouthfeel, which is thick and full and combined with the flavor reminiscent of malt syrup. Still, it was good in that the maltiness intensity was clearly communicated, yet the beer didn't taste grainy or overly cerealy.

Not bad, and more than I was expecting. However, I was a bit disappointed in the intensity of flavor delivered, particularly given a very heavy mouthfeel. I'd weakly recommend.

I bought this as a single from 3 Cellars in Franklin, WI.

Definitely lighter than others of the style... Very sweet and fruity malt aromas... Overly sweet.. Lots of apple and raisins... Loads of sweet caramel malts with the apple and raisin present here as well... Strange aftertaste present as well... This one isn't working for me... Very average doppelbock...

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

A: Minor lacing along the interior of the glass, light to medium gold in color, crystal clear - 3.50, S: Lots of sweet grains - malts dominate the nose, I pick up little to no hop aroma, very slight burn - 3.00, T: A decent spicy hop bite, quite grassy and with a jolt of alcohol burn, quite bready and with a thin toasty flavor - 2.75, M: A little on the side of being slick, medium mouth feel - 3.00, D: A blonde Doppelbock is not your standard style and hence I'm not sure what to expect, all in all this was an okay beer but not one that blew me away - 3.00

3.04/5  rDev -21%

A: Very clear, light golden amber. One finger white head, tight bubbles. Few medium bubble float to top. Head disappears quickly.

S: Sweet, malty and light. A bit tinny.

T: Malty and sweet. Thick with a metallic taste. The ABV is 7.8 and I can taste it. I've had brew with a much higher ABV that masked it a lot better. Though the smell was light and crisp, the taste is less so. I get a malty thick taste that lingers forever.

M: Again, the thick malt taste isn't that appealing to me. It looks so refreshing and tastes so oppressively thick.

D: I almost feel bad that I don't like this beer more, but I wouldn't drink another one. I'm not feeling the caramel malt in this one, I can taste it, but I'm not liking it.

3.11/5  rDev -19.2%

(Served in a weizen glass)
A- The light copper body is clear with a sea of carbonation supporting a bubbly off-white head that last for a bit.
S- The sweet malt flavor blends with a buttery diacetyl aroma and a dry cracker finish.
T- The sweet almost cloying flavor of malt gives way to a dry buttery note and a carbonic acid bite in the finish. There is really no hops noticed in the taste or bitterness.
M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with no alcohol heat but a soft fizz in the finish.
D- This beer is really too sweet with nothing to support it and no depth to the sweetness.

3.12/5  rDev -19%

A dark golden colored brew with a small head that dissapeared almost immediately. Aroma is sweet and malty with a hint of caramel and a bit of a yeast thing going on. Flavor is a rich malty sweet one and a bit dry on the finish. Has that distinct German bock aroma and flavor. Not a bad beer but not something I'd drink often either.

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

First of all, I have never seen such a light colored Dopplebock nor have I ever rated such a light colored Dopplebock since I've been rating beers. That said, this brew had a small white head with small bubbles that fully diminished. The lacing was fair and the body was clear with an orange hue. It had a light malty aroma and a hoppy aroma of citrus. There was no carbonation observed with this brew. It was bitter tasting from start to finish and lingered for a while after finishing this drink. The mouthfeel was smooth, light and somewhat watery.

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

12oz bottle w twist-off cap. "2009" indicated on the neck label. tasted in late may/early june 2009.

dark honey amber color, w orange tint. gem clear. 1-finger off-white head is fizzy and soon dissipates to just wisps, then nothing. no lace whatsoever.

aroma: malty caramel, apple, whiffs of euro/noble hops. touch of vanilla? faint whiff of alcohol.

taste: caramel maltiness again, but less than what the aroma led me to expect. touch of apple. slightly hoppier than aroma, with euro/noble character and mild to moderate bitterness. a phenol and fusel note, along with general alcohol booziness, comes in towards the finish, slightly thinning out the malt character. nothing horrible, but not desired either.

medium body, some smoothness, but the fusel/alcohol note becomes solvent-like here. mild to moderate carbonation.

when i had this in a small 2 or 3oz sample size at a festival, it seemed so much better. but sitting down with a full serving, it was not as ideal. not a bad beer, but not really all that good either, particularly as a result of the fusels and alcohol that come in and mar the whole thing...

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks to hopdog for this...
Appears a light gold with spotty lacing.
Smell is of sweet, canned tropical fruit.
Taste is malty, with grapes, citrus, grainy, odd clay-like taste.
Mouthfeel is sweet, hitting mostly in the middle of the tongue.
Drinkability is ok. I wouldn't bother with it again though. I think I just prefer doppelbocks on the dark side.

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

This was one of my all time favorites - but took a big step back this year. I see that BTI rated it really high this year - what are theythinking??? Rating based on history?

Has a nice enough maibock nose, but lacks past years compexity. The first taste is rather off-putting. It has a rather stark and harsh yeast compenent. The flavors don;t develop and give the mouthfeel of previous years or anywhere near the taste of the tap version.

Finish picks up just a bit, but the lingering harshness of a "house" yeast strain of where this is contract bottled is a bit tough.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

This brew pours a small head of fine white bubbles and a transparent light orange brown body. It had a mild malt aroma. This brew had a smooth initial flavor and no fore or after bite. I did not understand this brew and I would definately not call it a Doppelbock.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer pours a clear red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of caramel, with a hint of grapefruit. The taste is maltier than the aroma, with a nice lasting caramel finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, I don't really get this beer. It seems more like an amber lager than a doppelbock. It isn't bad, but it isn't good enough that I would buy it again.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz served in a Duvel tulip

A - Beautiful rich amber color, small white head which shrinks quickly, lacing which is okay at best.

S - Some yeast, honey, caramel, fresh grains.

T - Sweet malts, Bavarian yeasts, & not much else, really. Sweet finish with lots of malt and some heat. Not bad, but definitely not my style.

M - Heavy for me (again, not an aficionado of the style); poor carbonation

D - A little hot and sweetness gets cloying after awhile.

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a brownish, Carmel color into my pint glass. Clear with little to no head.
Smells great. I am getting some apple, Carmel and biscuit aromas. Very nice.
Taste is just a bit too sweet for me. The carmel and malts just take over. A nice boozy flavor as well. Reminds me of a bourbon ale.
Low to medium carbonation with a thin to medium body. Hang is minimal, more booze than malt.
I like the beer, but one is enough. I would have liked a tad more balance here. Need a little more hops and just a tad less malt.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden color with quite a bit of haze and a thin white head. Interesting nose with grain and some light fruits. Hints of alcohol. Taste is light fruit and grain, going along with a creamy mouthfeel with slight booze. An interesting idea, but not all that good.

Blonde Doppelbock from Capital Brewery