Blonde Doppelbock | Capital Brewery

Style: Doppelbock

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

This was one of my all time favorites - but took a big step back this year. I see that BTI rated it really high this year - what are theythinking??? Rating based on history?

Has a nice enough maibock nose, but lacks past years compexity. The first taste is rather off-putting. It has a rather stark and harsh yeast compenent. The flavors don;t develop and give the mouthfeel of previous years or anywhere near the taste of the tap version.

Finish picks up just a bit, but the lingering harshness of a "house" yeast strain of where this is contract bottled is a bit tough.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

This brew pours a small head of fine white bubbles and a transparent light orange brown body. It had a mild malt aroma. This brew had a smooth initial flavor and no fore or after bite. I did not understand this brew and I would definately not call it a Doppelbock.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer pours a clear red color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into decent lacing. The aroma is of caramel, with a hint of grapefruit. The taste is maltier than the aroma, with a nice lasting caramel finish. The mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with lively carbonation. Overall, I don't really get this beer. It seems more like an amber lager than a doppelbock. It isn't bad, but it isn't good enough that I would buy it again.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12 oz served in a Duvel tulip

A - Beautiful rich amber color, small white head which shrinks quickly, lacing which is okay at best.

S - Some yeast, honey, caramel, fresh grains.

T - Sweet malts, Bavarian yeasts, & not much else, really. Sweet finish with lots of malt and some heat. Not bad, but definitely not my style.

M - Heavy for me (again, not an aficionado of the style); poor carbonation

D - A little hot and sweetness gets cloying after awhile.

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a brownish, Carmel color into my pint glass. Clear with little to no head.
Smells great. I am getting some apple, Carmel and biscuit aromas. Very nice.
Taste is just a bit too sweet for me. The carmel and malts just take over. A nice boozy flavor as well. Reminds me of a bourbon ale.
Low to medium carbonation with a thin to medium body. Hang is minimal, more booze than malt.
I like the beer, but one is enough. I would have liked a tad more balance here. Need a little more hops and just a tad less malt.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes.

Pours a golden color with quite a bit of haze and a thin white head. Interesting nose with grain and some light fruits. Hints of alcohol. Taste is light fruit and grain, going along with a creamy mouthfeel with slight booze. An interesting idea, but not all that good.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

This was just a very standard beer to me, nothing special.

The color and smell were pretty average. An orange golden color that could have been any of hundreds of beers out there. The smell was about what you'd think a bock would smell like.

When I took a sip, I was expecting something more to kick in; maybe a little more bitterness, maybe some sweetness (because I saw people reference a sweetness in other reviews) but there was nothing there.

If I did have to say one positive about this beer, the 7.8 abv is well hidden and the beer does go down rather smooth so if you were in the mood to polish off 3 or 4 of these and get a nice little buzz going; this beer would work. There are times I am looking for that but on this particular Friday night, I wanted something good to sip and enjoy and it just didn't do it for me.

EDIT-I have held onto a few bottles of this for a few months now and after having one tonight, I noticed more booziness than the last time I had one. I don't know if just a few months is enough to bring out characteristics from cellaring it but it was for sure packed more of a punch than the last time I had it. Another factor was that right before I drank this tonight, I had two lesser alcohol beers so it may have made this one seem more boozy.

3.3/5  rDev -14.3%

Lacquered, brassy orange with butterscotch trim. The soft, ecru colored cap is strangely small and is essentially featureless. It deflates way too quickly and, in the process, leaves the glass untouched by lace. The beer itself looks good, but that's the extent of it. Not an especially good start.

The nose is far from world-class, either in terms of intensity or personality. It's malt dominant, as it should be, with a disturbing lack of complexity or even a token amount of hoppiness. So far, it's hard to believe that Capital is responsible for this big lager.

Blonde makes a comeback of sorts on the palate. It's a decent blonde doppelbock, maibock, helles bock... whatever your term of preference is. Still though, I'm amazed at the lack of the slightest bit of depth or complexity. Even a token amount of spicy German hoppiness would help immensely. The finish is somewhat bitter, but it's a bitterness that is divorced from even a modicum of hop flavor.

The flavor profile improves a fraction with warming, but not enough to warrant any real praise. At least the body/mouthfeel up to the task at hand. It's medium-full and delivers an impressive smooth silkiness that all well-constructed, high gravity lagers seem to possess.

Blonde Doppelbock isn't the beer that I'd hoped it would be. This brewery appears to take pride in their bocks since they brew six of them at various times of the year. Even though this one falls well short of expectations, I'm still excited about trying the four Capital bocks that I haven't yet had. I just hope they're better than the beer I just finished.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

12oz long neck. Consumed 1/19/10

A) Pours with a quick settling one finger head. The head dissapates to nearly nothing, leaving an also nearly nothing lacing. Clear body. Light upward carbonation. Amber in color or maybe it's strawberry blonde.
S) Notes of caramel. Light raisin.
T) Caramel and toffee - very boldly. Mellow sweet nuttiness. Hints of alcohol - a light effervescence in the end with an alcohol bite. Also in the mix dry grain, mild earthiness.
M) Somewhat smooth, although the body is a bit flat. Medium body. A tweek of syrupy feel.
D) A decent brew, but not one that is a stand out.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

got this in a trade and I cannot find my trading papers so thanks to the one that sent this. poured a golden with a small white head that didn’t last long. aroma sweet orange, malt, some alcohol. flavor got caramel, malts, the orange, a hint of honey with a slight amount of alcohol. not to bad. But I was a little surprised to see a dopplebock this light in color.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Leaves a one finger head that quickly dissipates to scant skim. Color is a yellow-gold-orange-amber. Random tiny bubbles throughout.

Smell - Diacetyl; apple juice. Estery bananas. Hint of caramel malt, slight alcohol, some phenols.

Taste - like the aroma. Apple juice and bananas upfront. Caramel malts have a brief moment all to themselves in the middle. Esters and some alcohol warmth, slight phenol tastes all in the finish. Sweet alcohol laden apple juice aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - full, smooth, and low carbonation. Slightly drying.

Drinkability - this goes down fairly easy, but it's a bit too sweet for me to have more than two in a session. I would have this again, just not often.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Served in an Ayinger celebrator glass. Beer is yellow and slightly hazy with a thin white head of small and medium bubbles. Carbonation is low and the head doesn't leave lacing on the glass. Its a doppelbock so pretty much anything goes, it looks fine.

Aroma is weak but its mildly malty and mildly sweet.

The flavor is weak and flat, mildy sweet medium bodied, not a lot of carb in the mouth, finishes nicely though. Its just mediocre, nothing special about it at all.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

Isn't really a blonde hue, more of a killians with constant, thin bubbling. Aroma was that of a brown sugar, toasted malt. Lots of toaty sweet malts give some bready and brown sugar notes all over the palate. Plenty of sweet yet adjunct noes to be a "buy again" dopplebock.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: clear, high carbonation, 1/4 inch head, dark golden brown--a little lighter in color than most beers of this style

Smell: caramel, toffee, and toasted malt

Taste: ctoasted malt, toffee, and small amount of alcohol towards the end

Mouthfeel: slick, high carbonation, medium heavy body, sweet

Drinkability: This is a nice and good tasting malt filled beer. The alcohol is present but not overpowering. I believe it is just above average for the style. I would have a couple of these at a bar, but not session them.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Presentation: An oval label with a blue background containing a picture of a domed building sits a front a 12 fluid ounce long neck brown bottle. A similar, but smaller scale neck label complete with the usual health warning bollocks that no-one ever reads, completes the presentation.

Appearance: Poured with a minimal carbonation, a small ¼” off-white head formed at first, but quickly faded to a broken covering, some lacing. The color threw me for a short while, Blonde?? I think not! It’s more of a Copper-Amber color with an orange glow from the Californian Sun that sits behind the glass when placed on my desk nearby the window.

Nose: Aroma’s are above average in strength and are heavily Malt based, with some spicy-zest aspects. That’s about it really – yep, Malts, and plenty of ‘em.

Taste: Mmmm, more ‘Big-Ass’ Malts, slightly spicy with a definitive alcohol presence and a zesty spiciness. Crisp though, the flavors are strong and confident enough to be slightly one-dimensional in the overall context of this beer. Whilst not a favorite of mine, the lingering malt flavor profile in the finish is very nice and attests to the beers quality.

Mouthfeel: Above average feel to this beer. Smooth feeling at times, that is ever so slightly warming in the mouth; after swallowing the warmth builds.

Drinkability: Not sure this is my Cup of Tea to be honest, it’s a reasonably good beer with no down side, and I enjoyed it, but it is just not to my taste really. I found it a little too 'one-dimensional' with too much malt for it to appeal to an aging lambic & hophead fan. One 12oz bottle, or maybe even two at a stretch, is enough for me. I am sure that this is one of those good quality beers that nonetheless polarize views and opinions.

Overall: Not much experience of Blonde (?!) Dopplebocks if the truth is known. So as to where it fits in the style profile, who knows? Who cares! It is obviously a very well made beer, nevertheless.

Thanks to BigHuge for setting me up on a Date with this “dirty” Blonde!

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Smell:
Far less maltier than I would have suspected. Slightly grainy actually.

Appearance:
Clean, filtered. Almost looks domestic in color (can you tell I don't drink a lot of blondes)? Formed a huge off white head which is slowly settling down to a respectable level.

Taste:
Not doppelbock like at all. I'm used to huge, bold flavors. Although malty, it is very much subdued. Slight bitter finish. It actually tastes much more like honey. Whats intriguing about that is honey beers never taste this much like honey...and I have a thing for honey.

Mouthfeel:
Very silky, very nice. Much thicker than I would have anticipated after the aroma and color comments.

Drinkability:
Well I was completely taken by surpise by this beer, it was nothing like I thought it would be. I would have preferred the head to remain pillowing thru the begining to end of the beer, but only a few brewers can pull that off. Not complex, but doppels rarely are. This was a good beer, I enjoyed drinking and reviewing it. And I still taste honey in my mouth.

Blonde Doppelbock from Capital Brewery