Blonde Doppelbock | Capital Brewery

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-05-2002

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last
Reviews: 191 | Ratings: 287
4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

Sweet caramel scent out of the bottle. Pours golden amber into a pint glass (a Capital Brewery pint glass, no less), with about an inch of orange-white foam that recedes fairly quickly. The whole package reminds of of caramel - the look goes with the scent. For that matter, so does the flavor. It's softly sweet, caramel malt, with a little bit of hop bitterness on the palate. Excellent, slightly sticky mouthfeel, and I would never, ever guess that this thing's packing 7.8% ABV. The drinkability is absurd for a beer with this booze content.

The taste, while excellent, loses some points for its inability to stand up to food. I tried this a with a bowl of chili, and its character evaporated when faced with a little tabasco sauce. I'd expect something with this alcohol content to be able to hold its own a little better. But that said, this is a terrific beer on its own, and I'd highly recommend it.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I'm really impressed with this offering from Capital.

Pours a medium amber with a fizzy head, quite a bit of alcohol and carbonation in the drink. Very crisp, very clean, very sessionable. I'm getting lots of sweetness, malts, cider, apples, sugar and a spike of hops that quickly dissipates.

Overall this is a great session beer, very impressed, will be drinking lots of it this summer.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear lighter amber. Nose is sweetened malts. Flavor is quite sweet, light brown sugar with a high level of malts. Winter fruits also prevalent with an oh so little hint of bitterness in the finish. I founds this to be almost cloyingly sweet. Nice malt and fruit notes were suffocated by the syrupy body of this brew. Thanks to JeffKrenner for the bottle.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Quick review - although light in color, this really comes across as a doppelbock.

Color - more like a dark ammber than a blonde. Like honey with a red tint to it. The beer started of with maybe 1" of head that quickly dissipated. Slight nucleation initially. It builds a small, tight head with a swirl. Very little lacing is left behind.

Smell - malty sweet after a swirl with some European hop scent behind it. The malt reminds me of a beer I can't place yet. When it dies off, it reminds me of Baltika 9.

Taste - surprisingly malty. Not because it didn't smell malty, but because of the color. There are some hops in there balancing this beer, but they are not flowery, piney, or overpowering.

Mouthfeel - I would call this thickish. Not too thick, but thickish.

Sessioning - I wouldn't call this a full on session beer, but I could have several of these any day. I'm sure I'd feel it.

3.04/5  rDev -21%

A: Very clear, light golden amber. One finger white head, tight bubbles. Few medium bubble float to top. Head disappears quickly.

S: Sweet, malty and light. A bit tinny.

T: Malty and sweet. Thick with a metallic taste. The ABV is 7.8 and I can taste it. I've had brew with a much higher ABV that masked it a lot better. Though the smell was light and crisp, the taste is less so. I get a malty thick taste that lingers forever.

M: Again, the thick malt taste isn't that appealing to me. It looks so refreshing and tastes so oppressively thick.

D: I almost feel bad that I don't like this beer more, but I wouldn't drink another one. I'm not feeling the caramel malt in this one, I can taste it, but I'm not liking it.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

It's a little more amber than I would think of for a blond. The nose is all grain and malt, very pleasant. It has a sweet, malty taste with a crisp, clean finish that leaves the mouth as a sparkle of carbonation. The mouthfeel for this beer is very appropriate for the style. It's clean, crisp, and not overbearing. A nice drinker with a well disguised alcohol content.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

a-golden, light amber color, has some residue on the glass, not much head when being poured

s-lightly fruity, malt smell, it is very good, and is a warmer smell. Its not a distinct smell, but very good. Adds to the flavor

t-extremely smooth, has a nice hit of alcohol that reaches in the middle of the senses. I taste a sweet carmel

m-again smooth and some what thick, it lingers in the mouth for some time. A bit of a surprise

d- this can be booth a sipping beer and have a bunch beer, very enjoyable and will def buy more.

3.52/5  rDev -8.6%

Found a 4-pack of the 2010 release in my local beer outlet. Having been to Wisconsin on several occasions and enjoyed Capital Brewery's selections while there, I was excited to find this. This is the first time a Capital Brewery release has been available in Louisville, KY. So I couldn't wait to try this.

A - A nice clear copper. Little thin white head and a slight but of lacing that slides down the glass as you drink. Very light and refreshing looking.

S - Almost non-existent. I have tried and tried to get a little fragrance going by every means possible and I am not getting much of anything. VERY faint flowery and hops smell. Basically nothing.

T - Sweet malts and slightly hoppy at first giving way to a toasty biscuit and alcohol finish.

M - Light and refreshing like a lager should be. Crisp with not too much carbonation.

D - You'd never expect this to be 7.8% alcohol as it is very easy to drink. Crisp and refreshing, light and easy going. Good thing they are sold in 4-packs or things could get ugly very fast!

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

a: beautiful color, copper and shiny

s: a little sweet smelling, but malty and nice

t: a little buttery, a little sweet, but good

m: great

d: gets bit cloying for me, but if you like em sweet this is very drinkable

All in all very nice, if a little sweet. I tend to like beers on the dry hoppy side than this, but still enjoyed immensely.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours light golden/yellow with a small head.

Smells malty, fresh, bready.

Taste is malty and has that grassy twang found in a good doppelbock. High alcohol comes through as warm and enhancing, not overpowering. Doughy. Low hops.

This was my first blonde doppelbock and I really liked it. Great bock flavor but lighter and very drinkable.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

Aroma: Strong malt aromas with slight caramel. Moderate alcohol aroma.
Appearance: Deep gold color. Creamy white persistent head made of fine bubbles.
Flavor: Powerful malt flavor with abundant melanoidin. Slight caramel flavors. Warming alcohol flavor from start to finish. Decidedly sweet with low bitterness.
Mouthfeel: Medium-full body with medium carbonation. Very smooth.
Overall Impression: A stronger but lighter version of a bock, perhaps a double version of a Maibock.
Comments: This beer taste more like a malt cordial than what most people think of as beer. At 7.8%, it is more of a treat than something you would drink with dinner. Still a very special treat for malt lovers.

4.06/5  rDev +5.5%

Tis the season. Unfortunately missed Bockfest this year, so I grabbed a pack in honor.

A: Honeyed, light carbonation, inch thick white head that quickly dissipates after a couple of pulls to a thin film. Lacing is present but unchains quickly and looks oily.

S: Sweet; honey, caramel, clove, corriander.

T: Sweetness carries through overall; very low bitterness. Alcohol not readily apparent until it warms.

M: Moderate malty thickness and smooth, light fizzle, semi-slick; not heavy.

O: Drank this on an empty stomach and it was quite warming and not boozy. It was a bit more sweet than expected or remembered. The taste follows the nose to some extent. Head retention is less than I would have liked. The 2nd bottle seemed less sweet; my palate must have re-adjusted. These go down very easy. It's no wonder that they built a biergarten as a safe harbor. Solid Bock.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

This was the first time that I've had the Capital Doppelbock and am quite pleased with it. I have to say that as I sample this fine brew and type away I'm aware that I'm experiencing a moment when the beer that I've chosen for the afternoon and my mindset for the day are in accord. It's nice to have your mood matched with what you're drinking (or eating, but since we're talking beer here...).

Appearance: It's supposedly a blonde doppelbock, but this has a bit more of an orange color to it. Not as deep in shade or tone as a copper color, but certainly not the pale shade I'd associate with "blonde". It is quite clear. The head is a bit of a dull white, but there's little head retention. Little to no lacing on the glass.

Smell: Warm, sweet, malty, goodness but you still do get a little hop aroma up front.

Taste: Again, with the noticable hop flavor up front but diminishes quickly to the abundant malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: rich and full, medium heavy body.

Drinkability: On flavor, I'd love to drink this all day. On ABV, I'll be good and keep myself to just a couple.

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Deep gold in color. Respectable head that disappeared rather quickly.

S - A solid malt aroma.

T - Good strong flavor with a nice balance between the alcohol and flavor. Had a faint note of hops.

M - Smooth and a bit thick. The taste lingered for a little while after a sip. Slightly low on carbonation.

D - You can tell its 7.8 ABV after a bottle but not so much during it. It didn't hold up to well as the bottle warmed but perhaps I was taking too long to finish it.

Doppelbocks are not among my favorite styles but I would drink this again.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Aroma: Sweet honey and malt. No real hop aroma.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, it foams up in your mouth as you sip it. Very smooth, coating the mouth. Nearly zero carbonation.

Taste: Sweet and creamy, with honey and malt very prominent. No hop flavor noticeable, and just a tiny hint of bitterness. Slight toasty notes on the end.

Overall: I love it! It's a big mouthful. A big, creamy beer. Excellent choice for an after-dinner/dessert beverage.

Other info: