Wisconsin Amber | Capital Brewery

COST: $1.79/12Oz. Bottle
HEAD: Off-white; virtually none
LACE: Virtually none
COLOR: cloudy dark orange
AROMA: Light-roasted nuts; moderate-Hops; Slight-orange; light-dough
MOUTHFEEL: light to medium
PALATE: dry, fizzy
TASTE:
START-lightly sweet
MIDDLE-moderately bitter/sweet
FINISH-moderately bitter; average duration
COMMENTS: Very refreshing. Full, deep character. Definitely impressed
CONDITIONS:
MOWING/WORKING ON CAR-If I have the cash
WITH FRIENDS-Yes
SIPPING-y
GET MY BUZZ ON-y

4.56/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

I had the Wisconsin Amber from a 12oz bottle poured in to a pint/nonic glass.

A: The beer poured a very brilliantly rich copper-red, with about a half inch of fluffy white head at the top. As with other Capital beers, the head does fade away quicker than I would like.

S: The aroma is mainly caramel malt with a hint of hops.

T: I mainly get caramel and toffee notes on the palate. It finishes with a well balanced hopiness that is not overwhelming on the finish.

M: Crisp, clean, a medium-bodied beer, carbonation was ok.

O: I can understand why this is one of Capital Brewery's flagship beers, it was very enjoyable. It goes down smooth and is refreshing. It is a great amber lager with character.

4.52/5  rDev +26.3%

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

4.42/5  rDev +23.5%

My thinking has brought me to the CANclusion that I want to relocate to the upper midwest. I want to get a Doctorate from U/W (Madison) and live and teach in Chicagoland. I love anything that enables me to transport myself mentally to the place I'd rather be. I got some of Capital's beers in a (rolling) trade with resi (highly recommended for his patience alone) and I have been so busy at school that I could not get to my beer. What is wrong with my priorities? I drank more as a sailor than I do as a civilian!?! I got out to have more time to myself. It ain't workin', bro.

From the CAN: "Beer for Badgers" and "An Ameri[CAN] Lager".

I wouldn't let a badger anywhere near my beer! They are fierce little creatures that would scratch your eyes out and have them for a snack. I often wonder about the Great Lakes college teams - badgers, wolverines, gophers. Bad news on a stick all the way around. Whoa! Is there a review forthcoming, or what?

Man, I CAN honestly say that I love the Crack & Glug auditory aspect of CANned beer. What great head! I mean, I got a great two-plus (!) fingers' worth of rocky, bubbly tawny head with low retention off of my pour.

Tawny Amber, I think that they used to dance at Papa's just outside the gate in Roosevelt Roads, P.R. Ah, the memories. My faves were China and Cinnamon in 1993, a couple of lovelies from the old river towns around Pittsburgh with whom I not only got along famously, but I actually danced with on a couple of occasions. I was down to skivvies, but they were down to buff. I gotta write a book ...

Color was definitely an orangish-amber, but with a refreshingly light haze. I am not a big fan of clarity, given that it strips away flavor. Natural is better in all things, especially beer and women. Nose was filled with carmel. Yum! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it tasted like a Sugar Daddy. No boostin', yo! It was like liquid caramel. Speaking of Sugar Daddies, it was not just my good looks and sculpted build coupled with my love of Pittsburgh that attracted Cinnamon and China to me - I was making good do-re-mi on active duty. Hell, I spent most of my money on beer and women, the rest I just wasted. Finish lingered with a caramel sweetness initially, but giving 'way to a light bitterness. Ain't no badger gettin' this! I'm keeping it for myself! Samey-same with Cinnamon and China. Go find your own women!

I'm putting some of this beer in the cooler and we're headed to the lake for some skinny-dipping.

4.42/5  rDev +23.5%

This was a major revelation for me. I bought this on a whim, not expecting much, but when I got it home and poured it out, I was pleasantly surprised! Very nice golden/amber hue with hints of orange. Wispy off white head that formed little clusters of foam on top after dying down. Huge floral, citrus hop presence entwined with a pleasant malt thickness.

Quite a nice blend of malt sweetness and hop bite. The hops were more up front as it was still cold, but as it warmed, the malts kicked in and balanced this one nicely indeed! So smooth and velvety on the tongue, it just got better as it went on. Perfect carbonation level, and quaffability is way up there. Find this and enjoy it! Recommended.

4.32/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

looks quite like a farm field honey. Adequate froth doesn't hold real well, but the lacing is complete before it tears politely.
Smells of whole wheat crackers, and whole wheat bread with molasses.
Tastes of hard toast, and sourdough english muffin, again toasted dark. Add a dollop of beer jelly, and a little ovaltine on the side. This has a superb mouthfeel that is straight down the middle: thin but full. Has a great cocoa flavored biscotti taste with a dab of apple jelly. There's some minerals in the aftertaste, part dark roasted grain, and perhaps some drier hops.

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

just realized ide never reviewed this beer.

A- poured a delicious looking malty amber colored (surprise) with a big frothy off white head. the head fell at medium rate giving a solid stickiness on the glass as it falls as well.

S- maltiness is the major player here as well, nice hop crispness on the finish as well.

T- thick bodied maltiness that has its light roughness which provides a solid platform for the maltiness to show through. the light hop character prevents it from getting sweet but other than the wisp of hop aroma, it stays on the balanced and malty character. its thick and heavy but gives a solid maltiness all over that really makes it a staple around the house

M- heavy delicious lager, medium carbonation, thick strong body with a crisp finish.

D- pretty awesome beer, makes me glad i live out in wisconsin, home of lager wonderworld Capital brewery

good job kirby

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%

Pours a perfectly clear amber with a decent white sticky head that has good retention. A really nice deep sweet maltiness on the nose. Very nice toasted quality. A nice clean caramel malt presence. Very little hop presence. Medium body and very drinkable. Definitely one of my favorite Amber Lagers. Another great lager from Capital.

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

Oh yeah, this is the good stuff. A simple (and I mean that in the best way possible) beer from Capital.

The toasted flavour from the malt mingles with the soft, spicy hop presence to form a delightful drink. Nothin' to hide here, but a delightful brew. Sip, quaff, enjoy, just don't over-intellectualize it and you'll have a fine night.

Mmmm-mmmm good.

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: A little light for an amber, more of a rich golden. I've seen pale ales darker than this. The head is a nice off white, three+ fingers, again, a little much. Great clarity and pretty good active carbonation.

S: Not much for aroma here, but there's a little cooked bread and caramel. While it doesn't need a lot, it needs more than this.

T: Taste is where this beer really goes WIN for me. It's not earth shattering, but it's very nice, and very simple, and very refreshing. A little toast, some very mild hops. I like it.

M: could use like 1% more body and carbonation.

D Superb.