Wisconsin Amber | Capital Brewery

capitalbrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-15-2001

3.6/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Poured out a clear, bubbly, golden-orange color with a very foamy, off-white, one-finger head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of citrusy hops and sweet roasted malt.

T - It tasted of roasted malt with a very subtle grassy hop bite.

M - it was crisp and sharp. A light to medium-bodied beer.

D - This is a very easy-drinking beer and very sessionable.

A - Pours with one finger of white foam on top of a clear, amber-brown body. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Caramel and toffee malt notes with just a hint of herbal hop aroma.

T - Toasty malt with some toffee. A bit more caramel comes out in the middle. Finishes with plenty of caramel and sweet malt character with moderate bitterness and grassy hops.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - A pretty solid, if somewhat unremarkable, amber ale. Lots of malt with more than enough hop character to balance; though it isn't a hoppy, west coast red ale by any stretch.

3.65/5  rDev +2%

Acquired via trade from MilwaukeeCrusher, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light golden brown color, with a short white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains lager yeast, caramelized malts, some fruit and a touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out bready from flavors of lager yeast and a hearty but not too heavy malt character. Then some sweetness comes in from flavors of citrus and caramel. The hops presence is mild and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

O: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, this is a decent beer worth drinking for a while.

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours an effervescent amber with 3 fingers of tan head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Bready & some grainyness as this warms.

T: bready, slight caramel & toffee flavors up front, plus a touch of grainyness. Grainyness, cloying sweetness & a touch of dryness are all there as this warms, plus some leafy hops. Finishes grainy with cloying sweetness & a touch herbal hop bitterness

MF: Medium bodied with crisp carbonation, Starts to thin out as this warms, not that great on balance

Drinks fairly easy but lack of character makes this one boring & forgettable

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, amber body encircled by a thin ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Simply a light aroma of sweaty grains, bruised citrus fruits, and perhaps a slight floral touch.

Taste: Light toasted maltiness with a mild sweetness. Very, very slight nuttiness. Floral hint. Spicy hop character with a medium bitterness to balance. Fairly clean finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: There's not much to say except that it's a nice, easy-drinking lager.

Bright coppery orange with nary a blemish, just jet-quick bubbles that shoot off the bottom of the glass and bury themselves in the underside of what is a pretty nice looking head. Lightly toasted marshmallow in color, the cap begins life at two fingers and has barely fallen in the several minutes since the pour. It's a good lacer as well.

Even though the nose is fairly simple and not all that forthcoming, I like what I smell. There's a beautiful commingling of caramel malt and woodsy, spicy hops that I'm enjoying more the more I sniff. Thankfully, the aroma comes out of its shell over time. Different and some kind of appealing.

I've only had a handful of amber lagers and don't remember what any of them tasted like. Interestingly enough, the best one by far was Capital's own Winter Skal. Will Wisconsin Amber give it a run? The short answer is yes. While not outstanding, life-changing beer, it's a pleasing little malty lager that has plenty of flavor.

The malt side of the equation is semi-sweet, well-toasted and somewhat earthy. It's almost perfectly balanced by spicy German hops that shine brightest on the finish. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of the spiciness comes from malted rye. There's something about this beer that reminds me of toasted, caraway-flecked rye bread.

I don't usually think in terms of ale vs. lager--I just describe what I smell, taste and feel--but it's fairly obvious to me that Wisconsin Amber is a lager. There's something about its delicate (although well-saturated) flavor and its lightly creamy body that says 'lager' to me. I can also see why Capital considers it to be a quasi-Vienna Lager.

I'm not about to criticize the body/mouthfeel for not being ale-like; that's hardly fair. As noted above, it's amazingly smooth and creamy for being so light and wispy in the mouth. A perfect amount of well-behaved carbonation doesn't hurt either.

Actually, I prefer Wisconsin Amber to Winter Skal and now consider it to be the best of the (now more than a) handful of amber lagers that I've had. I've never been blown away by this brewery, but they're beginning to impress me in a quietly competent sort of way. Wisconsin Amber might just be my favorite Capital beer to date.

2.84/5  rDev -20.7%

4.42/5  rDev +23.5%

My thinking has brought me to the CANclusion that I want to relocate to the upper midwest. I want to get a Doctorate from U/W (Madison) and live and teach in Chicagoland. I love anything that enables me to transport myself mentally to the place I'd rather be. I got some of Capital's beers in a (rolling) trade with resi (highly recommended for his patience alone) and I have been so busy at school that I could not get to my beer. What is wrong with my priorities? I drank more as a sailor than I do as a civilian!?! I got out to have more time to myself. It ain't workin', bro.

From the CAN: "Beer for Badgers" and "An Ameri[CAN] Lager".

I wouldn't let a badger anywhere near my beer! They are fierce little creatures that would scratch your eyes out and have them for a snack. I often wonder about the Great Lakes college teams - badgers, wolverines, gophers. Bad news on a stick all the way around. Whoa! Is there a review forthcoming, or what?

Man, I CAN honestly say that I love the Crack & Glug auditory aspect of CANned beer. What great head! I mean, I got a great two-plus (!) fingers' worth of rocky, bubbly tawny head with low retention off of my pour.

Tawny Amber, I think that they used to dance at Papa's just outside the gate in Roosevelt Roads, P.R. Ah, the memories. My faves were China and Cinnamon in 1993, a couple of lovelies from the old river towns around Pittsburgh with whom I not only got along famously, but I actually danced with on a couple of occasions. I was down to skivvies, but they were down to buff. I gotta write a book ...

Color was definitely an orangish-amber, but with a refreshingly light haze. I am not a big fan of clarity, given that it strips away flavor. Natural is better in all things, especially beer and women. Nose was filled with carmel. Yum! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it tasted like a Sugar Daddy. No boostin', yo! It was like liquid caramel. Speaking of Sugar Daddies, it was not just my good looks and sculpted build coupled with my love of Pittsburgh that attracted Cinnamon and China to me - I was making good do-re-mi on active duty. Hell, I spent most of my money on beer and women, the rest I just wasted. Finish lingered with a caramel sweetness initially, but giving 'way to a light bitterness. Ain't no badger gettin' this! I'm keeping it for myself! Samey-same with Cinnamon and China. Go find your own women!

I'm putting some of this beer in the cooler and we're headed to the lake for some skinny-dipping.

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to TheStretch for this bottle!

Another brew taken down during the Man's Weekend. It pours a clear reddish-amber topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises orange zest and peel, hot cinnamon, and some smoky toffee. The taste holds notes of light orange zest and light caramel. The body is light, with a light carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, not much exciting going on here, but a nice enough brew to relax with.

3.63/5  rDev +1.4%

Opening NFL Sunday!!! Starting with a can of Wisconsin Amber!!! Yeah baby!!! The beer is a cloudy red ale with thin white head. The smell has a slight sweet malt to it....not much else. The taste has a great malt character with touch of sweetness. The mouthfeel is great...very favorful decent abv and smooth. Definitely worth teh purchase!

3.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear copper/orange-amber with a thin white head that becomes wispy. Dotted lacing sticks.

The smell is of light caramel-ish malt/grain with slight roast.

The taste is of light malt with some sweetness, a hint of lightly toasted bread with a hint of hop dryness in the clean finish.

Crisp. Light. Clean. Smooth.

In writing the review, I've noticed a repeating word. The label says that it is medium bodied, I'm thinking light bodied - but, I suppose that it is subjective. Anyway, if this is medium-bodied, it pushes towards the light interpretation of medium. It would have been a better brew if it had more body to it. As it is, it is a basic, easy-drinking amber lager. Decent for what it is.

3.71/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a hazy copper color. 1/3 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and poor lacing. Smells of floral hops, Euro yeast, slight wheat, pale malt, and slight earthiness. Fits the style of an American Amber / Red Lager. Mouth feel is smooth and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of floral hops, Euro yeast, slight wheat, pale malt, slight caramel malt, and sweet malt. Overall, weak appearance, decent aroma, but God feel and body.

3.12/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.02/5  rDev +12.3%

Transparent bronze appearance, short-lived, slim off-white head.
Nose is a bouquet of caramel malt sweetness, with herbal, grassy notes, as well...rich and arousing.
Caramel and toffee tones return on the palate, big and brash in taste, sticks long in the senses, before slipping away. Medium-bodied, long, slick finish. Full-forward sweetness, a constant pleasure and easy as pie to travel down the throat.
Unbeatable, as far as Vienna lagers go.
I'd take one any time.

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks goes out to beerwolf77 for this one.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is sweet, malty, with a very slight hop note, and lots of caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, very slight hop note, with some caramel. Light-Medium body. Drinkable, a nice thirst quencher.

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some hops. Taste is good, hops up front, a bit of caramel and malts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.19/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Wisconsin Amber from Capital Brewery