Wisconsin Amber | Capital Brewery

capitalbrewery.com

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-15-2001

3.7/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

This one pours a healthy red amber color with a tiny head. Aroma is sweet caramel malts with a bit of graininess. Taste is a smooth, slightly earthy caramel maltiness with a bit of grains to liven it up. This one feels good going down, it's lighter bodied, but the carbonation smooths it out very well. The drinkability is also exceptional. Overall, it's a solid, drinkable Amber Lager. What else can I say?

A - Pours a radiant brassy amber hue, and is capped with a moderately-lived head.

S - The nose is mellow, grainy, slightly sweet, with vague herbal hop notes.

T - Herbal and savory hops are more accutely apparent, with celery-ish notes proffered. Tastes good for the style intent.

M - Feels good man.

O - Capital seems to be adept at making tasty straightfoward offerings; no exception here.

This is just a good, solid, easy drinking amber/red that although it is nothing special, it is a nice, easy drinking beer to be enjoyed on a hot, summer day. I give it a slighly higher than average score because it is from Capital Brewery and they are one of my favorite local breweries. It has the normal caramel notes that I usually can taste in a red. It isn't my favorite Capital beer but like I said, a good summer option.
EDIT-Had it immediatly after a Fat Tire and when I had this one, I almost tasted a medicine like bittnerness that was not pleasant. I won't lower the score too much but when compared to something else similar I did not like this.

3.58/5  rDev 0%

A: amber color, clear, thin white head, decent retention

S: mild sweet malts, caramel, faint smoke character

T: sweet malts, some corn character, mild earthy hop character, nice balance

Mf: light body, medium carbonation, smooth texture

O: nice malty lager, a little sweet, good drinkability

2.57/5  rDev -28.2%

A: As usual, this beer has amazing clarity. Great lagering effect. Medium lacing with an offwhite head. Wouldnt call it amber in color, more orange to red.

S: Not much doing here, husky grainy in smell.

T: What seems to be a consistent feature for this brewery is fizzy in the nose with a touch of jazz and then by the time the middle comes around, its quit. The aftertaste in the finish however has a nice nutty character to it, which I have found lacking in most of Capital's beers I recently tried.

M: carbonation fizz on the tongue, doesnt last long as I would prefer it, but very light and drinkable.

D: Wouldnt choose it for the style, but would drink it to drink in the sun.

3.64/5  rDev +1.7%

On a recent trip to Wisconsin I picked up a sixer of Wisconsin Amber, I enjoy tasting local beers not available in my neck of the woods and when in Rome. The bottle pictured above is out of date, the new label has "drink beer naked" across the bottom encoded in Naval communication flags. After going through the trouble of decoding the message I discovered the message is explained right on the bottom of the six pack holder.

Anyway, on to the beer...

"Beer for badgers" is a tasty amber. Has a nicer amber color to it and a head that quickly dissolves to nothing. Smell matches the taste, nothing over powering or out of place. Overall it's a good beer, not the best amber I've ever tried but in no way bad. I would drink it again but I am bringing home 2 mixed cases of local Wisconsin beers that I've tried while here and this one didn't make the cut, only because it's nothing too special.

This is a great amber, i'm really impressed with the depth of flavors coming out of this. So much toasted bread, like fancy morning breads with raisons and spices and whatever else the bakery would put on bread before baking it, this beer is liquid that.
Oh yea, It's a clear reddish amber color and has no haze at all, totally clear. The body is medium and has a very appropiate level of carb, moderate.

I will probally get a pack of this over the summer and/or fall. It's really great, i would love to camp with this too.

2.63/5  rDev -26.5%

pours clear amber with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smell is faint but i pickup sweet caramel malt

taste is blah - boring - average - your standard amber with the training wheels still on

mouthfeel - medium body decent carbonation - needs to have more bite - very smooth

drinkability is not good - i will never buy this beer again and after i finish this 6 pack i highly doubt i will ever drink this again

3.88/5  rDev +8.4%

"Beer for Badgers"! Go figure, I like beer and I like Badgers!

A - Poured a hazy light amber in color, when held to light it has accents of orange and red. The body is topped by a foamy one finger off-white head which sports excellent retention. Nice lacing left behind.

S - Caramel malt with a slight hint of sweet toffee lingering about. Not a hugely aromatic brew overall.

T & M - Biscuit and malt body followed with smaller accents of sweet toffee and some hop bitterness. Medium bodied with a crisp, almost dry character. Moderate carbonation.

D - This is one of those beers that you could stock your fridge with and drink all night. I think it would also bode well with those that haven't ensconced themselves in the world of craft brews. A good starter brew to get your macro drinking friends drinking good beer. Nicely done, a good red lager.

3.35/5  rDev -6.4%

A-Burnt orange and some cloudiness, tan head that quickly dissipates
S-yeast esters, mild roast barley malt, a little hop spiciness
T-Malty with a slight hop end note-aroma is better than the taste
M-Nice slightly creamy mouthfeel
D-Good for a couple-nothing special for this style

3.27/5  rDev -8.7%

Pretty good beer. I had this one on new year's eve at Towne Inn in Jefferson, WI. Nice amber color, smelled pretty good. It was an average tasting amber beer. Good taste though, hint of orange peel, wouldn't mind trying it again sometime. It's an easy drinking beer.

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Served in a pint glass

It blows my mind with the myriad of options before me that I've never reviewed this style of beer before, until now! This beer pours a decent deeper copper color with a good firm looking white foam head. This beer smells of orange citrus hops upfront which are quickly swallowed by a balance of caramel and clove, i also think I detected some egg and cinnamon. Though the picture I painted for the aroma may seem tasty, I just don't think it meshed well and seemed unbalanced. After smelling the aromas I was intrigued as to what this beer would taste like, the answer was "not much". That having been said there is a malty taste in the foreground that is washed away by what is seemingly no real flavor at all just vague light beer-ness, and it's all finished off with an off-putting bitterness that seems not really to be appropriate with the flavors involved. This beer is a little too watery for my liking as well though it does have some nice carbonation. As much as it may sound like I'm bashing this beer it's not really all that bad, it's just not really something I'm leaning towards getting in the future.

4.42/5  rDev +23.5%

My thinking has brought me to the CANclusion that I want to relocate to the upper midwest. I want to get a Doctorate from U/W (Madison) and live and teach in Chicagoland. I love anything that enables me to transport myself mentally to the place I'd rather be. I got some of Capital's beers in a (rolling) trade with resi (highly recommended for his patience alone) and I have been so busy at school that I could not get to my beer. What is wrong with my priorities? I drank more as a sailor than I do as a civilian!?! I got out to have more time to myself. It ain't workin', bro.

From the CAN: "Beer for Badgers" and "An Ameri[CAN] Lager".

I wouldn't let a badger anywhere near my beer! They are fierce little creatures that would scratch your eyes out and have them for a snack. I often wonder about the Great Lakes college teams - badgers, wolverines, gophers. Bad news on a stick all the way around. Whoa! Is there a review forthcoming, or what?

Man, I CAN honestly say that I love the Crack & Glug auditory aspect of CANned beer. What great head! I mean, I got a great two-plus (!) fingers' worth of rocky, bubbly tawny head with low retention off of my pour.

Tawny Amber, I think that they used to dance at Papa's just outside the gate in Roosevelt Roads, P.R. Ah, the memories. My faves were China and Cinnamon in 1993, a couple of lovelies from the old river towns around Pittsburgh with whom I not only got along famously, but I actually danced with on a couple of occasions. I was down to skivvies, but they were down to buff. I gotta write a book ...

Color was definitely an orangish-amber, but with a refreshingly light haze. I am not a big fan of clarity, given that it strips away flavor. Natural is better in all things, especially beer and women. Nose was filled with carmel. Yum! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it tasted like a Sugar Daddy. No boostin', yo! It was like liquid caramel. Speaking of Sugar Daddies, it was not just my good looks and sculpted build coupled with my love of Pittsburgh that attracted Cinnamon and China to me - I was making good do-re-mi on active duty. Hell, I spent most of my money on beer and women, the rest I just wasted. Finish lingered with a caramel sweetness initially, but giving 'way to a light bitterness. Ain't no badger gettin' this! I'm keeping it for myself! Samey-same with Cinnamon and China. Go find your own women!

I'm putting some of this beer in the cooler and we're headed to the lake for some skinny-dipping.

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is sweet, some hops. Taste is good, hops up front, a bit of caramel and malts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.41/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A good easy going amber. Amber in color, looks a little thin at times, but the color is good, even if viscosity isn't the greatest. Head and aroma aren't worth talking about.

Taste, pretty smooth, don't be looking for some high hopped west coast amber. No surprises, mildly sweet, caramel, drinks almost like an Oktoberfest. Almost as good as the Sprecher Amber Lager. Same vein. Good hot n humid beer to relax with.

3.33/5  rDev -7%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Thanks to TheStretch for this bottle!

Another brew taken down during the Man's Weekend. It pours a clear reddish-amber topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises orange zest and peel, hot cinnamon, and some smoky toffee. The taste holds notes of light orange zest and light caramel. The body is light, with a light carbonation and a dry-ish finish. Overall, not much exciting going on here, but a nice enough brew to relax with.

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Head is thick and tightly packed with good retention, lots of activity in the beer, deep gold to light amber in color - 4.00, S: Mild caramelly sweetness, a touch of nuttiness to the nose, faint fruit maybe some pear as well as some breadiness, light bubble gum - 3.50, Lots of malty caramels, mild hop bite, very light molasses or brown sugar, quite toasty, a solid amber ale - 3.50, M: Medium bodied, smooth finish - 3.50, D: A nice version of the style - pretty solid, quite drinkable - 3.50

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer for Badgers poured a golden amber into my pint glass. The thin egg white head quickly left not leaving much lacing.

The smell was faint but okay with caramel and burnt sugar. The tase was of caramel malt, a little bit of toffee, and some bitter hops that rounded out this brew nicely. Rather pleasing but not overpowering.

The mouthfeel was not too thick, not too thin. I rather liked this beer. It would be in the rotation in my fridge if I lived in Wisconsin.

3.36/5  rDev -6.1%

Thanks goes out to beerwolf77 for this one.

Pours a nice clean/clear golden amber color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, with some nice sticky lacing to follow. The nose is sweet, malty, with a very slight hop note, and lots of caramel. The taste is sweet, malty, very slight hop note, with some caramel. Light-Medium body. Drinkable, a nice thirst quencher.

3.13/5  rDev -12.6%

Pours an effervescent amber with 3 fingers of tan head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Bready & some grainyness as this warms.

T: bready, slight caramel & toffee flavors up front, plus a touch of grainyness. Grainyness, cloying sweetness & a touch of dryness are all there as this warms, plus some leafy hops. Finishes grainy with cloying sweetness & a touch herbal hop bitterness

MF: Medium bodied with crisp carbonation, Starts to thin out as this warms, not that great on balance

Drinks fairly easy but lack of character makes this one boring & forgettable

Had this on tap last night at the Gritty.

Pours a textbook amber, with vibrant orange highlights. Head is a creme brulee color, not a whole lotta lacing sticks along the way though.

Smell is fairly one dimensional, caramel and pale malt dominating. Hence a very sweet smell, maybe just a slight twang of hops at the end.

Tastes creamy, malty, and sweet -- but not to the point of being candied.

Surprising heft to this one (for the style), carbonation seemed kind of weak.

Definitely a nice beer by capital. An easy drinker that strikes all the right notes.

I had this beer from a bottle once and really didn't like it. I contributed this to the bottle being old. After having this on tap at Capital Brewery, I would like to think it was the bottle. This was a very enjoyable beer. It is a dark amber color, nice head. Very nice flavor, not too strong or light. Definitely a fairly easy beer to drink in my opinion.

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my Dogfish Head snifter. This beer pours a copper orange with a big fluffy white head that leaves no lacing whatsoever. The aroma of this beer is pretty malty. Sweet toffee, caramel, and toasty bread. Pretty solid. The flavor follows suit with caramel and toffee leading the way with toast and biscuits, earth and grassy hops all coming through. This is a really drinkable lager. Nice and malt with some subtle grassy hops. Really tasty stuff. The mouthfeel is light with a nice finishing dryness. Its really tasty. I wish this were available in the KC area, it could easily become a summer drinker.

3.27/5  rDev -8.7%

A - pours an amber/orange with a beautiful 1.5 finger pillowy head

S - smells very malty. a blend of cereal, light oats, and a touch of toastedness

T - the taste follows the nose. This is very grainy and malty - the same flavors that I smelled. There was also some faint, grassy hops and yeast present on the finish. Almost finished like a bud light, which isn't too good, but the malts made up for it.

M - as I figured from the head, this was creamy. However, it has rather thin body.

D - This was a pretty decent beer. It somehow made its way into my fridge, so I was more than happy to try it. I think I would go for something else by this brewery if I were at the store. However, I wouldn't pass it up if offered (or left in my fridge).

3.48/5  rDev -2.8%

Mild nose of grainy/toasty malt and spicy hops.

Tastes of slightly sweet and toasty malt with caramel edges. Hop bitterness evenly balances the malt and has a spicy edge to it. Finish is relatively dry and carbonation seems adequate.

A decent enough Amber Lager. The overall flavor profile could probably be beefed up a little bit, but I have no other real complaints.

Wisconsin Amber from Capital Brewery