Maibock | Capital Brewery

Availability: Spring

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-28-2002

Reviews: 156 | Ratings: 305
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Into a point, pours a clear light golden with a decent head shrinking to nothing, and little lacing to speak of. Aroma is a sweet bready malt with hints of vanilla and nuts. Taste is pretty good, nice sweet malts, like caramel, and a tingly mouth of flowery hops with nuts, staying tingly though the end with a twinge of hop bitterness, but mostly syrupy sweet. Mouth is pretty smooth, but well carbonated, and overall its a pretty darn good drink. Basically, one that I'd like to see in another mixer 6'er.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Brilliant, unblemished tangerine with intermittent tiny bubbles rising to a several finger cap of creamy foam the color of lightly toasted meringue. The texture of the cap is somewhat marshmallow-like with sticky chunklets of lace appearing as it melts. A classic maibock look and a good one.

The nose lacks power and presence. In fact, I might have found it difficult to pick the correct style if I didn't already know. It's lightly buttered blonde malty with a disappointing hop presence. This style needs to be somewhat hoppy--or spicy--in order to impress me. So now I guess it's up to the flavor to do just that.

Actually, it's neither all that hoppy, nor all that spicy, but it is good beer. The dominant flavor is sweet, vanilla-like pale malt and lots of it. I don't enjoy the earthiness or the booziness that some maibocks have in spades. Capital Maibock is a better beer for having neither. There's isn't a great deal of complexity here, just big blonde malt flavor.

It's clear that the ABV is on the high side, although not out of line for the style. It's also clear that it's been buried quite well on the palate. No hidden depth reveals itself as the beer warms, so I'll just have to resign myself to simple, straightword and solid. I'd get bored drinking several of these, but this one is hitting the spot right now.

The mouthfeel is appropriately large due to what must be an impressive amount of malt. It's more firm and slick than it is silky smooth and is a good match for the flavor. Not too many bubbles show themselves, which is more than fine by me. I don't often rank drinkability lower than taste, but while I like and respect this beer, it isn't disappearing all that quickly.

Capital Maibock is a good version that could use at least one more facet to what is a fairly one-dimensional flavor profile. Maibock lovers will probably love it. The rest of us need something more, something special to keep us coming back spring after spring.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

On-tap at the Comedy Club on State here in Madison. Better than crappy $6 long islands I suppose.

Pours a bright golden-orange with a skim of white bubbles - hard to get a good pour at a place like this. Nose a balanced mix of light floral hops and brown sugar/biscuity malt. Tastes like Blond Dopplebock Light, smooth grassy hops and sugary caramel malt. Mouthfeel is lighter than their Blonde but still substantial in the mouth. A solid bock but doesn't hold a candle to any of their other seasonal dopples.

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Pours a clear orangey copper, with a half inch head that slowly settles to a thin cap, leaving behind a substantial amount of lace.

Smell; biscuits and caramel malts are the main players here, but there's also some grains and a bit of a floral presence.

Taste; those biscuits and caramel malts are in the fore in the flavor, like it was in the nose. It's a bit grainy and earthy, with some floral and fruity notes. There's a bit of a spiciness in the finish that mixes well with a touch of some alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, and so very drinkable.

The clerk that I bought this from said it tasted like NB Fat Tire. I have to disagree, I thought it was a lot better.

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a light brown clear body with a light tan creamy head that forms a film pretty quickly.

S- This smell of crystal malt and biscuit malt have a dryness to them that is nice. No hops are detected at all.

T- The biscuit malt comes through with a pronounced malty flavor that is not sweet or overly roasted. It finishes with a slight tangy flavor and a faint hop bitterness ends the taste. The hops add a nice support to the malt but there is no other hop flavors other than bitterness.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel.

D- This beer has nice crisp clean toasted malt flavors that are not complex but very fresh.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Clear, gold in hue with some coppery-amber influences; the color is perfect. White head, at the apex the foam was two fingers tall. Head retention was respectable; it took a few moments before the bubbles faded noticeably to a spare collar. Sadly, there was no subsequent lacing. No matter, this is a pleasant looking brew.

The nose is potent, for a Maibock. I love the loud grainy, malty-caramel, cereal aromas. Mixed in for good measure is a note or two of alcohol. At the back are some earthy hops with a flowery/fruity hint. While the nose doesn’t say much it says all the right things. This beer smells exactly like Maibock should. I am enticed; I can’t wait to take a sip.

Delicious. I love Maibocks. I love this Maibock. I have drunk my share of six-packs this spring. This is my last bottle, saved for a review (of course I might go buy more!). It is malty throughout with plenty of caramel cereal and grainy flavors. At times it comes off a tickle hot but not raw; I don’t mind it at all. It is earthy, fruity, and flowery at times, especially at the back, near the finish. While simply constructed it is clearly well made. I really like compact but flowing nature of this beer. Tasty. Everything I want in the style is here.

The mouthfeel is a tad bigger than medium in body, moderately low carbonation but the mouthfeel is very natural and relaxing. I like the fruity sweet aftertaste with just a tickle of alcohol burn, oh yeah… very nice.

My god is this beer is easy to drink. I could kill a keg myself. Yikes! I have been a fan of Capital for some time but finding fresh products in Council Bluffs, IA was tricky. Not any more. Even at $10 a six-pack I can’t say no to this lovely beer. Wow. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Light amber beer topped with light, thin and quickly fading carbonation.

Sweet german malts and a very light dose of alcohol nips at the nose.

Rich, sweet and full-flavored malt hits the front on the palate while a light dose of bitterness measures itself across the entire sip to balance things-out. A mildly caramel but not cloying sweetness mixes with alcohol to generate a well-rounded finish. Full-bodied mouthfeel without heaviness.

Exceptionally drinkable beer that seems to taste better as it ages towards the end of the cycle of its release each year. Recommend buying it early, but saving it in the fridge for a month or two.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a deep straw color with a finger of solid ivory head. A constant cascade of bubbles is present and the beer is as clear as could be. Very nice loking brew. Nose provides notes of toasted bread and light grainyness. A very faint floral hop is there, but not obtrusive at all. I enjoy the big toastyness in this one. Flavor really echos that toastyness. Grainy notes are light to moderate, breaking up the toastyness a bit. I really enjoy the aftertaste. It really carries the toasted notes and draws me back to this one again. I think this one is a solid maibock. Feel is moderate, with a moderate carbonation of tiny bubbles. It makes the brew feel a little more thick than it really is, and I like that with the toasty/bready malt character. This one is nice. It has just enough hop to carry it through, while letting the toasty and bready malt bill carry the weight of the flavor. This one is very enjoyable. I look forward to more time in Wisconsin to have more of the beers from these guys.

4.85/5  rDev +26%

WOW!!! What a Maibock.

Growing up in Chicago I have alway's had the oppourtunity to drink the outstanding lagers of the midwest. And this is nothing short of outstanding.

The aroma is a gentle combination of pale, Munich and caramel malts. And there is a wee bit of floral hops hiding in the mix.

The flavor starts out with a sweet cookie dough like malt character that gives way to an ever so slight hop biterness that rolls across the tounge and lingers for a while.

Carbonation and mouthfeel is spot on. It is very soft, smooth and velvety with just enough carbonation to prevent it from becoming cloying. Drinkability is ridiculous!!!! Each and every sip makes you want another.

This is exactly what a Maibock should be. The only thing that keeps this from being perfect is the lack of hop's, I think it could use a little more bitterness and flavor. They could take a pointer from their neighbor Sprecher and dry hop the Sh##@# out of it, then it would be perfect!!!

The traditional Maibocks of Germany have a suprisingly hoppy character to them unlike so many of their other bock styles. I recently had an Einbecker UR Maibock on tap at the famous Map room bar in Chi town immediately following a pint of the rare Sierra Nevada special pale ale, Hoppier than the original Sierra Nevada pale ale. The Einbecker held it's own with it's wonderful noble hop bitterness and lingering flavor. I was actually surprised.

Yet another solid entry by Capital. PROST!!!

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

The beer pours a golden color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a nice malty scent that boasts of pale, Munich, and carapils malts. It's dry with some breadlike notes. The taste is decent. It has a slightly musty flavor that goes down slow and finishes semi- sweet and a bit breadlike. The mouthfeel is decent also. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a decent drinking maibock. It has good malt content, but it just doesn't blow my hair back. I probably wouldn't buy this again.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a clear amber color, with a nice, foamy white head.

Smell is of light malt, with both sweet and bready notes. Pretty full aroma.

Taste is of malt, and is pretty sweet, but not syrupy or artificial. There is a very low hop profile, with a bready aftertaste. There is also a warm spiciness from the alcohol that is quite nice.

Mouthfeel is pretty smooth, with nice carbonation. It goes down very smoothly.

I think I could probably drink a dozen of these no problem if it weren't for the ABV, which must be relatively high. Though it doesn't have a strong or distinctive flavor, it's a very smooth, easy drinking beer that I can't seem to resist.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pilsner.

bright orange, crystal clear, with an inch of white head.

aroma is slightly faint, but there's honey, apple, and yeast.

malty, smooth, and very drinkable. a nice bready, honey sweetness with a clean fresh finish. light carbonation and a light to medium mouthfeel. needs a little more hop balance but it's a very good beer.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours golden/amber with a poor white head. The smell is sugary and grainy. The taste is light sugary fruity malts, with a tiny hint of hop bite in the aftertaste as well as a bready or yeasty taste that is faint and hard to describe. Mouthfeel is average, medium and slightly sticky. There is not a lot to say about this beer, but I enjoy it a whole lot. It's easy drinkin', clean and basic, but with a little something extra in the flavor and in the ABV. I wish I knew the ABV, I'd guess around 6.5 - 7%.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours a bright orange and amber hue with a relatively big white head that maintains some shape as it is drained.
Aroma has a deep caramel and pale malt note with some vaguely herbal and flowery hop notes.
Flavor has rich, but light malt shot with a bit of nuttiness and some spice on the hop finish. Tetnang would be my guess for hops.
Mouthfeel was solid if a bit understated but nice balance between malt, grain and some bittering.
Drinkability is very high - just ask Davo he was able to chug and entire pint before running away.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

12 ounce bottle. Capital Maibock has a clear, copper color with a large, white head. Sweet and toasty malt aroma along with spicy hops. Grainy flavor with toasted malt. Spicy hops in the finish. This isn't the most complex beer, but it very clean, with no noticable off flavor. There is some noticable alcohol flavor. Carbonation is slightly higher than average. This is one of the better beers from Capital, and it's very good on tap too.

Poured from 12 oz bottle(room temp) a medium gold with a smallish head of foam that dissipated quickly leaving a fine ring around the glass.

The smell is a malty smell that's actually pretty strong and inviting.

The taste is full of malty goodness with some grainy notes and just the smallest smidgeon of hop bitterness that lasts right through to the finish and...Wow, it kind of surprised me. Here, I have this average looking brew in my glass with absolutely NO foam and the flavour is an absolute delight! I admit, I've had little to no experience with a Maibock but if *this* one is typical, I think I rather like the style! And boy...is this baby drinkable...I wish I had some more!

Bottom line: Dang this is a great tasting brew! I recommend it!

Thanks to bditty187 for this sample!

12 oz bottle
Very carbonated Maibock pours brown with a good head. Carbonation holds throughout drinking. Mild Nutty, malty nose. Nothing extraordinary here. Flavor was good- Roasted malts and a mildly hoppy finish. Clean on the pallet. Not too heavy. Easy to drink as a session beer.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

This is going to be my first microbrew from the badger state after about a dozen years of despising most Miller products. Picked this up on a road trip to Dayton, Ohio for March Madness last weekend and if you ever visit that sordid little burg, I can strongly recommend Belmont Party Supply. I only wish I had more time and carry on luggage room to exploit its riches of microbrew.
This pungent maibock pours cloudy medium brown with no head and a nose of hops, spice, and citrus with some yeast hints. The taste is layered and ringed with more hops than I expected and a tart ness at the opening of each mouthful. The malt flavor is smooth and creamy and gives way to a tasty aftertaste with lots of sediment. The beer seems authentically Teutonic in nature.
This is a nice spring brew, a compromise between the heavy strength of winter and the delicate craft of summer. This is solid, honest beer and worth a shot if you can find it.

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Mai Bock…nope, we call this one Mind Block. This beer sure doesn’t seem very strong but a few pints usually leaves my friends and I in a rather bizarre loopy state unakin to normal inebriation. Drinking Capital’s Mai Bock, for whatever reason, seems to knock me on my rear like few beers do. The predominant characteristic of this hazy orange brew is its immense sickly sweet fruit forward, slightly alcoholic nose and taste. The strong yeast presence in the beer is typically Capital and very German. Finish is fresh baked baguette and spice. Drinkability is ridiculous and even though I don’t really care for the taste, nor style, I keep coming back for more so something must be right here.

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

Now this is what a Maibock ought be. Light and refreshing, to be sure, to be sure . . . but there is much more to this beer than that! The nose is like fresh fruit, fallen from the tree. A magical melange of fruity yeast-esters and earthy noble hops. Mmmm. Very pleasant. The taste is exatically what you'd expect from the nose with a round mouthfeel and pleasant carbonation tickling your tongue. Good beer, good times.

3.91/5  rDev +1.6%

12oz single, Riley's

Either this just came out or it is really old, but i hadnt seen it until now so I assume it has just been released for the "spring"

appearance: nice spring colors on the label, too bad its nowhere near spring! the appearance is quite impressive...sparkling clear pale amber, fluffy white head with decent lacing...very clean and quite shiny

smell: quite malty, some grassy tones, herbal hop, peppery/spicy malt, yeast character...sweet and fruity - pear, green apple, grape. slightly toasted, grain, caramel

taste: spicy german malt, peppery, warming alcohol presence, sweet yeast characteristics, grassy and herbal hops, bready feeling, slightly buttery, flowery hops, only a slight bitterness

mouthfeel: doughy, clean, medium body, slight alcohol warming

drinkability: enjoyable and drinkable, another solid one from just to the west of here off university ave

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to ZAP for this one of a few brews from Capital Brewery.
Pours a clear, light bronze color w/ a full finger and a half of bright white head...disappears to all but a fine coating. Decent lace, covering the side of the shaker glass and cascades quickly back into the beer.
Smells are subtle...detecting a bit of grassy notes w/ a slight malty sweetness.
Taste is enjoyable enough...I don't have much exposure to this style, so can't really compare to any particulars. A nice, buttery flavor with that same slight sweetness found in the aroma. Some fruityness in there as well...tart cherries and a hint of lemon zest in the finish.
Texture is quite thick, but again...maybe thinner than the average Maibock. The carbonation is perfect...making this one fairly quaffable and thirst quenching.
A good first impression from Capital....looking forward to trying some others.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing this simultaneously with Tyranena Fighting Finches Mai Bock, Sprecher Mai Bock, and Rogue Dead Guy Ale. Looks just like the Sprecher, a faintly red-tinted amber color. Pretty much an average of the other three, this beer smells faintly of apples, and tastes pretty balanced, with a slight tilt toward sweetness with a hint of whipped cream. Upholds the Capital Brewery legacy of faithful, solid, and thoroughly unexceptional beers.

3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a translucent dark golden with virtually no head or carbonation. This has beer and a couple of bubbles on top like an ill-fitting hat.

Aroma is light, with a light caramel sweetness and perhaps some butter notes. Very gentle though.

Flavor is where this one gets interesting. Rich mouthfell surrounds toasty malts with a nice sweetness, an easy hop ending that compliments the rest of the flavor. Honey and pear/apple fruits. Quite pleasant and easy to drink. I think this is one of the best Capital Brewery offerings I've had!

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Beautiful bright copper in color with a thin white head, crystal clear. Malty aroma with spicey yeast. The malt aroma is bready not quite carmelly. The flavor follows the aroma, sweet almost carmel, slight peppery yeast and warming alcohol in the finish. Good malt body and balancing bitterness. This is a fabulous example of the style.

Maibock from Capital Brewery