Fest (Summer Fest) | Capital Brewery

Fest (Summer Fest)Fest (Summer Fest)
3.62/5
Fest (Summer Fest)Fest (Summer Fest)

Capital Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
capitalbrewery.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Had just been thinking how nice an Oktoberfest beer would be on a cool summer night when I saw this at Binny's, so I picked up a six pack.

The color is just what you'd expect: A clear copper color, with a tan head that doesn't hang around too long. Thin but noticeable lacing.

Great aroma: Sweet, bready, biscuit, and caramel. But the taste is a little disappointing: Too thin, with a much lower malt profile that the aroma would have you believe. The hop profile is a little higher than I prefer in this style, too, and finishes with a surprisingly bitter after taste.

I could (and will) drink a few of these in a sitting, but it's not even average for this style. Too bad.

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%

A good summer beer; easy drinking and not too heavy but beyond that it is pretty average.

The look in the glass was not impressive to me at all. It was very light and clear and looked like a cheap macro beer to me.

The smell and taste are grainy, bread-like and a little hint of sweetness. A plus is that it reminds me of an Oktoberfest (which makes sense since it is that style) so that serves as a nice preview for the fall selections that will be out in a few months.

There is a fair amount of carbonation when I take a sip.

So again, a decent summer brew but nothing that wowed me.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%

I get more impressed by Capital each time I have one of their beers. This has a lovely amber-auburn color. I won’t comment on the head, since I poured this out of a growler. Also, because it’s from a growler, not much in the way of bubbles, but still a good fizziness. A very well malted Okto flavor leaving some stickiness, and well-matched hops. Consider how many German brewers are making Oktoberfests that look more like Heineken, and savor this one.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

I really didn't care for this beer, and I typically like Oktoberfest style beers. Color is slightly dark, not as dark as your typical Oktoberfest beers though. The main complaint I have with this beer is the taste. It just wasn't good. Very bitter after taste, poor flavor all around. I had this at the Capital Brewery and no one in my group cared for this beer.

3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

A: orange/light amber body, trace head, very little lacing

S: malt, sweet biscuit, hint of honey, perhaps dash of pine

T: sweet biscuity front, firm earthy malt, light pine crisp finish

M: med body, big carbonation, prickly tongue, semi-dry finish

O: Odd making an Octoberfest/Marzen beer for
a Summer release? This beer is a little too heavy for
Summer BBQ/session. Decent enough and fine gateway
brew option.

SOLID, NOT A MUST HAVE!

3.15/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle.

Poured a medium and slightly cloudy golden color with a huge (4 finger) sized white head. Aromas of yeast and bready. Tastes of breadiness and honey. I didn't really get too much more out of this one.

Notes from and tasted on: 01/15/06.

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

In my opinion this beer should be called "Octoberfest Light" rather than a fest bier. I was expecting a lighter beer since it was produced in July/August. A malty/musty smell abounds in this brew that reminds me of a New Castle Ale. Beer had no head to speak of. The taste of the beer was a watered down Octoberfest, I could taste the malt, but this beer left something to be desired. It was ok, but I cannot see myself drinking this beer and enjoying it.

3.05/5  rDev -15.7%

Mediocre pour. Rust colored, but no head at all and no lacing, neithers.

Dull smell. No real Pang of marzen or bock malt. Just some light grain and the slightest hint of caramel.

Tastes pretty much like it smells, sadly. Nothing offensive; just a bunch of benign malt. There's a tiny bit of tartness in the back that's more than welcome, but it's not enough to really save ther beer. There's no intensity, no complexity.

It's hard to do a marzen without spice.

I expect more from capital. It's not that I got a bad bottle of this; it doesn't taste stale or sour. It's just bland.

3.04/5  rDev -16%

Appearance - Light amber. Clear and bubbly. Short white, fizzy, quickly dissipating head.

Smell - Mild to moderate lightly toasted malt.

Taste - Mild toasted malt with a hint of mild spiciness. Dry finish. Slightly watery.

Mouthfeel - Medium and smooth.

Overall - Not quite the hint of Oktoberfest I was hoping for. Inoffensive, but not real distinctive.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Single finger head with trace lacing. Head doesnt last long. Body is hazy golden with amber hues. Bread and sweet caramel, standard aroma. Mostly caramel malt in the flavor. Very light hop and burnt toast flavor. Medium body and light to moderate carbonation. Overall a little bland. Smooth and drinkable. Less hoppy than I like my ocktoberfest beers.

3.02/5  rDev -16.6%

This beer had a average sized smooth and creamy ivory head when poured and it had fine-small sized bubbles that mostly diminished. The body was carbonated and cloudy with a golden hue. The nose consisted of malt, caramel, and fruits with a light bitter, hoppy and sour flavor to it. The mouthfeel was smooth and thin and it was medium bodied. This beer left a good lacing on the sides of my glass.

3.01/5  rDev -16.9%

A- Pours a seemingly thick (at first) two fingered head that gradually dissipates out. Leaves a foam ring around the glass. Minimal, but present lacing. Cloudy golden in color.

S- Bready, yeasty.

T- Slight citrus, even slighter caramel. I don't really taste too much really. Bummer...hoping to pick out a winner out of the refrigerator tonight.

M- Slightly sting on the ol' tongue. Kind of thin.

D/O- Not for me but the drinkability would be high for others I presume...so I'll come to a compromise. What's the deal with the style being their seasonal brew? I'm all for breaking the rules...just seems odd.

2.9/5  rDev -19.9%

Capital Fest Beer: This is a deep red beer, unusual for a summer beer. The taste has a fairly strong malt taste, with hops pronounced at the end. I’m a little surprised that this is a summer beer; it tastes much heavier than a refreshing Hefe Weiss.

1.91/5  rDev -47.2%

Admittedly i really dislike this style.

A: Very clear beer, obviously lagered to its full length leaving this one practically see through. Bone white head.

S: Moldy grain husk smell. Almost as if using a septic system near pasture. Not good.

T: Starts with potential and drops off in a hurry in the middle. I guess grain is what i taste but honestly I dont taste much.

M: Leaves a dryness on the tongue, but the flatness of taste and abrupt ending doesnt carry any flavor over the mouth in any experiential sort of way. Particularly because the abv is over 5 you wouldnt know.

D: I could see drinking this at oktoberfest for hours...and getting drunk.

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%