Fest (Summer Fest) | Capital Brewery

good
Fest (Summer Fest)Fest (Summer Fest)

Capital Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
capitalbrewery.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-16-2002

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Pours a tan/straw color with foamy two finger head.
Has some sweet malt and citruisy hop arouma.
It has a sweet caramal and malt flavors to it, definately not "malty" subtle spice hop in the after taste.
Proper carbonation, leaves the tounge some what dry.
A decent beer if you are thirsty. I was trying to figure out why this is called a O'fest/Marzen. It's a good beer, just not a good O'fest.

4.22/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. Pretty fresh tasting, just came in for the season.
Pours a golden color with a touch of red, with a nice white head and great lacing. Smells citrusy fruits and sweet carmel. Taste comes with sweet malty notes into citrus hops and slight touch of sourness bite to it. Some interesting flavors coming together here and turns into a pretty refreshing beer. Good amount of carbonation here and light mouthfeel. Drinkability is up there goes down awesome. Good beer all around for the style. I enjoy.

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Was very surprised when pouring this beer at the darkness of it for a summer brew. Had a faint aroma to it and a nice lace as I drank it. The taste was good but once again it reminded me more of an amber than a summer. So if you are looking for a your typicalsummer brew don't pick this, but if you want a good beer try it. Didn't really know how to rate this one because it threw me off being so different, so as a summer brew I knocked it down a notch or two................CHEERS

3.32/5  rDev -8%

To be honest, I was always sort of disappointed with this beer. I used to live in Madison (up until 4 mos. ago) and I'd wait with baited anticipation for the octoberfest, and this beer pales compaired to that. It's drinkable, slightly fruity hop flavors, more interesting than a lager, but not as good as their oktoberfest beer.

1.91/5  rDev -47.1%

Admittedly i really dislike this style.

A: Very clear beer, obviously lagered to its full length leaving this one practically see through. Bone white head.

S: Moldy grain husk smell. Almost as if using a septic system near pasture. Not good.

T: Starts with potential and drops off in a hurry in the middle. I guess grain is what i taste but honestly I dont taste much.

M: Leaves a dryness on the tongue, but the flatness of taste and abrupt ending doesnt carry any flavor over the mouth in any experiential sort of way. Particularly because the abv is over 5 you wouldnt know.

D: I could see drinking this at oktoberfest for hours...and getting drunk.

3.05/5  rDev -15.5%

In my opinion this beer should be called "Octoberfest Light" rather than a fest bier. I was expecting a lighter beer since it was produced in July/August. A malty/musty smell abounds in this brew that reminds me of a New Castle Ale. Beer had no head to speak of. The taste of the beer was a watered down Octoberfest, I could taste the malt, but this beer left something to be desired. It was ok, but I cannot see myself drinking this beer and enjoying it.

3.32/5  rDev -8%

This is an exceptional marzen. Being of German heritage, Oktoberfest is a wonderful time to let my inner beer-lover out. It pours a nice gold with a decent offwhite head. It smells wonderfully malty and tastes the same. This is a really smooth beer with no aftertaste. Bold flavor, no aftertaste? Sweet.

3.53/5  rDev -2.2%

Since the northwest is the home of hoppy beers, this was a refreshing and enjoyable choice--it definitely fit in with my tastes but also was mild enough to drink daily. The hop flavor is balanced nicely with malt. A very drinkable beer, very tasty and refreshing.

3.88/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a golden amber color, somewhat cloudy with very little head.

S - The aroma is very subtle. Sweet hints of caramel & some fruit, nothing overpowering here.

T - Similar to the smell, subtle caramel hints. Slight bready maltiness & some hints of fruit.

M - Light to medium bodied smooth finish

D - Very drinkable beer, good light summer beer.

4.3/5  rDev +19.1%

Wow, another solid entry by capital. I have been drinking capital for quite sometime now, and was never really impressed by the fest until this year's batch.

Wonderful aroma of Munich malt with an apple like smell. I have to wonder why so many reviews complained or said it has no head. Every time I crack one open I have to pour it extra slow do to the nice level of carbonation, I seem to get about a good two or more inches of head that linger long after pouring it. But this is the 2005 batch maybe they jacked up the carbonation this year.

It starts out malty and hoppy, nice interplay going on. Then the sweet malt hit's your t-buds, then some hop's coming into play once more before the bright lingering finish. The finish is bright but that's what keep's this beers malty sweetness in check so it is not to cloying. Wonderful balance of malt and hop's.

I emailed Kirby Nelson Capital's long time brewmaster letting him know I thought this year's batch was a little more hoppier than in the past. He assured me it was the same recipe, maybe the strain was a bit more robust this year. Im not complaining, I love hops and kirby is not the biggest hophead. So I am thouroughly delighted with this year's batch. Another fine offering from capital.

3.5/5  rDev -3%

Amber in color with very little white head that fades quickley. Has a good sweet malty flavor that is complemented with a slight hop bitterness. Its alittle on the light side and has just a hint more carbination than I would like, but still smooth and a very pleasing beer.

3.48/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Amber / light amber with a great amount of head and nice lacing.

S - Spicy and grassy hops with a light carmel scent

T - Spicy grassy hops, bread malt, and perhaps a mild hint of nuttiness and caramel

M - Smooth and moderate in carbonation

O - Good flavor that is easily drinkable and light enough not to be overly demanding

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

Had just been thinking how nice an Oktoberfest beer would be on a cool summer night when I saw this at Binny's, so I picked up a six pack.

The color is just what you'd expect: A clear copper color, with a tan head that doesn't hang around too long. Thin but noticeable lacing.

Great aroma: Sweet, bready, biscuit, and caramel. But the taste is a little disappointing: Too thin, with a much lower malt profile that the aroma would have you believe. The hop profile is a little higher than I prefer in this style, too, and finishes with a surprisingly bitter after taste.

I could (and will) drink a few of these in a sitting, but it's not even average for this style. Too bad.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last