Oktoberfest | Capital Brewery

Wisconsin, United States
capitalbrewery.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

2014 GABF Gold Medal (German-Style Marzen)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-26-2001

9/3/02-Orange color with a little white lace..pretty clear and clean looking..excellent toasty nose....medium-to-fuller bodied for an Octoberfest...nice malt sweetness...toasted malt flavored....with just a slight hint of hops to balance the sweetness....A very nice Octoberfest...well done beer by an excellent brewery..

re-rate 10/26/02..dropped some scores slightly..bodies feels thinner than I first thought...also some alcohol on the nose in spots....tasty, and very good but not as good as my early scores..

re-rate 9/10/04..not one of my favorite Capital brews...not that it is bad or anything but it seems to fall short of the other O-fests I've had this year (Summit, Sprecher, and SA to some extent)...tastes almost like an ale...a cloudy look....nice malty flavor but almost a bit thin in comparison to the others...worth a 6-pack a year but that's it.

re-rate 9/6/05-Same cloudy appearance..almost a sour candy apple type finish...one of their worst products and one of the worst o-fests I've had...average is being kind

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

A- Clear caramel/amber color. The head is thin and fades quickly.

S- I smell the caramel malts for sure, but other then that not much.

T- This has a sweet malt taste, slight caramel taste (not as much as I would personally want in a fest beer). There is also a slight spicy taste that is there, sort of like a pepper corn taste, which is good. But there is a slight weird funky grain taste that is mixed in there, which makes this unrefined.

M- Feels like a beer of this style should.

D- Would make a great session beer.

3.06/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

A - Orange-bronze with a small gray cap. Sporadic spotty lace is barely there. This one is crystal clear, and I like the color...but the head is definitely lacking.

S - Underpowered hints of carrot cake and cinnamon. Pleasant, but pretty solidly average. This has potential...it's just too weak on the nose.

T - Nice clean biscuit and carrot cake malt flavors with tons of caramel and toffee too. Impressive given the so-so appearance and uninspired nose.

M - Fresh, malty, and extremely clean. This is neutral and unoffensive in all ways. Finishes clean as a whistle, which many non beer geeks might appreciate, but I prefer an aftertaste that sticks to your teeth and lingers on for days.

D - I like a little more stank on my beers, but this is a serviceable average O-Fest that I can imagine is very popular for the casual beer drinker. I might introduce my Bud Light loving dad and brother to this easy going brew. Nothing about this one is bad...it's just underpowered and a bit boring, to be honest.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

A-Lovely robe--a deep, clean reddish-amber. There was almost no head, and what there was didn't last. There are a fair amount of bubbles rising.

S-Malts toasted to varying degrees, whole wheat bread, and a hint of nuttiness. There is also something faint and earthy that lingers with the alcohol. This is my last bottle from the fall, and it's past its peak for freshness, but I don't recall ever picking anything else up.

T-Toasted sweet malt and nuts. I have to admit I was going to score the taste rather low based on my initial impressions, but when I poured the rest of the bottle, it seemed to have warmed up a bit and revealed some better-pronounced characteristics. Also, the carbonation was rather high, and it hid some of the flavors, but it's dissipated rather quickly. The light aftertaste is toasty and pleasant.

M-Now that some of the carbonation is gone, this Oktoberfest is smoother, and its medium body matches up decently with its flavors. It rolls pleasantly across the palate, and passes under the uvula with a little carbonated fanfare before bidding adieu.

D-I learned my lesson. Let this stuff warm up a little more than you initially think it needs. At first, I found the stuff kind of offensive, but when I gave it some time and a chance, it wasn't too bad. It unfortunately is not ready to drink right when you open it, which is usually when my patience is short and I don't feel like waiting. After the first few sips, I actually got the hiccups. The second half of the bottle felt like another beer.

Note: I got the best deal ever on this stuff from a major retailer that recently started carrying alcohol. When I hit the checkout, it rang up as $.27 per 6-pack due to a misship (they had ordered a different variety, but received the seasonal stuff, and they were trying to get rid of it). I figured I'd help them out, and I went back and grabbed the last two off the shelf.

3.08/5  rDev -14.4%

The nice copper color and full head made for a nice looking beer, and the aroma was malty, bready with a bit of spice. The taste of biscuity malt was nice with toasty note to it, but the hop bitterness seemed to overpower it. I think the hops kind of trampled the malt. The beer is still quite good, and seems to improve as it goes. Mouthfeel is good, and carbonation is spot on.

3.11/5  rDev -13.6%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is medium copper with amber tones. Two fingers of eggshell-colored head dissipated to leave a thin lacing and ring around the edge.

Smell: Very faint, but I could detect slightly toasted sweet caramel and toffee. Grassy hops emerge, and there is a little lemon zest.

Taste: Lots of malts and sweetness, and there is a nice zesty bite. Caramel, toffee, and grassy hops. The lemon from the smell gives it a counterbalancing bitterness.

Drinkability: It is nothing spectacular, but I suppose I would guzzle it if the polka was loud enough.

3.12/5  rDev -13.3%

Bright amber body topped with tiny, creamy head. Some lacing, though.

The aroma is very bready - probably moreso than any beer I've tried yet. Some maltiness as well.

The taste has some yeasty notes and some maltiness, but mostly it's not there. A little sweetness comes through but overall it's just too watery.

The feel is fine, not very thick but with some body and plenty of carbonation.

It drinks fine, the alcohol doesn't make itself known. The problem is that there really isn't enough flavor to cause me to pick it up again.

3.14/5  rDev -12.8%

Poured into a Sam Adams' Perfect Pint:

A=Nice, rich amber with 2 finger, white foamy head.

S=Detected slight hops, nothing else.

T=A typical märzen; a bit lighter than I'd prefer, perhaps to appeal more to those wanting high drinkability.

M=Above average and light enough for a session beer.

O=There are better ones out there...way above Leinie's, but just below Point's in terms of flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance - Light amber. Clear and bubbly. Tall just off-white head that persists.

Smell - Light. Malty with a touch of citrus.

Taste - Sweet medium roasted malt. Noticeable lemony hops in the finish. On the light side.

Mouthfeel - Medium light. Crisp.

Overall - Drinkable and light, but not otherwise especially distinctive. I'd much rather something a little more flavorful than this for the descending gloom of a Wisconsin autumn.

3.18/5  rDev -11.7%

Thanks to BeerFMAndy for this brew. Poured into a pilsner glass.

Color is bright peach with a slight bit of copper. Not entirely transparent, though no visible haze particles. Initial head is a single finger and dies down pretty quickly into a bit of foam on top. Very mild lacing around the sides. Nose is some light, toasted malt that reminds me of a light amber ale. Some biscuit malt as well as some very mild earthy hops.

Taste is some light biscuit malt and a very mild amount of caramel and toffee. Pretty plain. There are some light earthy and floral characteristics in the background. Light creamy character. The feel is a bit light with moderate carbonation. This is a nice and simple beer without any flaws, though I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again.

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

3.21/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.24/5  rDev -10%