Autumnal Fire | Capital Brewery

Liked:
4.06/5
Alströms:

2.28/5  rDev -43.8%

this brew pours up like unfiltered cranberry juice with a tiny off white head. the nose is cranberries and subtle sweet pale malts. the taste is the same as the nose but more intense flavors, and subtle caramel. this beer is too sweet for me. medium bodied, low carbo.... I'm never gonna dance again...

2.61/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A dark brown pour, thin head, 1/5". Aroma was thick, roast, molasses and brown sugar.

So much alcohol noticeable. Thick viscosity. Devoid of hops, steroids and prunes. Fucking dark bitter coffee malt notes.

Not my style, I just can't get into something that the alcohol runs so strong in. I mean, there's 20%+ beers I really dig, but this just tastes way too strong for my tastes.

2.72/5  rDev -33%

Pours a hazy dark burnt orange with small offwhite head that disappates quickly. The aroma is rich and malty with caramel foremost, some breadiness-earthiness. The flavor is smooth, deep malt with raisin and toffee character and dark toast. There are just a touch of herbal hops..licorice? The finish is a little bit boozy and leaves a sticky aftertaste.

2.8/5  rDev -31%

A dark doppelbock, comes out substantially brown, very thin head, 1/4" tops. No lace. Aroma was chewy brown sugar candy and a sticky syrupy molasses smell.

Alcohol pungent, noticeable on the first sip. A soy sauce like sludge mouthfeel comes around. No hops. Prunes and toffee. Maybe some caramel, but its hard to pick out with the alcohol being so in your face.

Look I'm not a big fan of doppelbocks, so take this review with a grain of salt. I've never been a big fan of capitals stuff either, they make a ton of brews, but none of them memorable for me in a go out and get it kind of way.

2.81/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured from a bottle. Nice red/amber colour with a slight cream-coloured head to it. Typical carbonation. VERY sweet nose to it... very fruity (fig) and a lot like a honey-mead nose. For %7.8 ABV it was surprisingly smooth. It was WAY to sugary for my taste and very malty. They use Honey-malts which is why is smells and tastes so sweet.

Would I buy it again? No.

2.88/5  rDev -29.1%

3.03/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Tastes medicinal to me. No real aroma or positive mouthfeel going on here either. I don't know, if you like cherry cough syrup this is maybe your thing. Not going to try this one again.

3.08/5  rDev -24.1%

This one, this year, like the oktober-fests, is too sweet. *sigh* big disappointment. Poured with a nice off- white head and lots of lace. Color is a lovely clear copper. Aroma is malty, toffee, and caramel. Flavors about the same, but less toffee and sweeter. Body's good and carbonation too. A little boozy at the very end. Finish is

3.15/5  rDev -22.4%

I poured the beer into a clean pint glass. The color was redder than I liked. I usually look for a darker, copper color when partaking of a doppelbock. The beer offered a decent foam head which quickly dissipated and left no Belgian lace behind clinging to the side of the glass.

I felt the beer did very little on the tongue. It presented with a very alcoholic taste but had very little malt taste that characterizes other doppelbocks. I felt the beer lacked complexity and the potent taste of bitter dark chocolate flavor.

I have often enjoyed Capital's beers so I was surprised that this beer did not live up to the billing of my friends IMO.

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%

Bottled 17 August 2011. Originally reviewed an old bottle (see below), updating now after tasting it fresh.

Appearance exactly as described below, with a little more lacing.

Smell is actually a step down from that year-old bottle. It's much weaker on the fruit, and heavier on the toasted bready malt.

Taste is definitely better fresh, but I'm still not all that impressed. It's got that same bite that I don't like, though it's much more subdued now. Decent sweetness, bready malts, a bit of fruit. Still not all that impressed.

Mouthfeel is a touch better than I thought before, but still rather watery for a doppelbock. Where's the sugar, the chewy feel?

Not one of the best. I'm quite surprised that this ranks so highly among domestic doppelbocks, as it just doesn't measure up for me.

----

Bottled 24 August 2010. It's a fall seasonal, but this heat wave is making me long for fall, so I'm thinking ahead. Or back.

Pours a deep coppery amber, translucent, with nice light emanating from it. One-finger yellowish tan head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing. (3.5)

Smell is full of sweet fruity malts. Lots of dark sweet fruit - prune is blasting me in the face, with some fig lurking behind it. Brown sugar and bread are there in the background, as is alcohol. Nice, but not as deep and varied as it could be. (4)

Taste is sharper than I expect. All the fruits and sugar that I picked up in the smell are there, but there's also an odd kick that I haven't experienced in a doppelbock before. Might be hops, might be alcohol; kinda hard to tell. It's not great, though, and it overshadows the nicer, more desirable malt flavors. Finish is surprisingly quick, rather dry, with that odd bitterness. (2.5)

Mouthfeel is okay; not as sticky and sugary and chewy as I want it to be. Rather watery for a doppelbock. (3)

This didn't measure up to my hopes. The taste has something weird going on that I don't like, and the mouthfeel is too light and dry. It's very possible that this beer has suffered since bottling. I'll try this year's batch much fresher, as soon as it comes out, and revise my review as needed. (3)

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%

Fall is here and so is Capital Brewery's Autumnal!

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Using a slow pouring technique, there was absolutely no head on this. There was some carbonation and the coloring was a nice caramel brown. Almost like a light sun tea.

This has a sweet hops scent, a bit on the strong side.

The first sip of this beer gave my tounge a little buzz. There was a slight alcohol bite to the flavor, but not bad.

As far as drinkability goes, I could maybe do one more after this one. This is definitely not a session beer for me as I found it a bit overpowering.

My first doppelbock that I can recall having and so I'll need to experiment more with the style.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours out dark amber or reddish light brown. Around one finger of creamy looking tan head. Retention is decent with a bit of lace to boot. Aromas of hazelnut, figs, concord grapes, and biscuit malts.

Some nice fruity and nutty elements there. Lots of grape flavor up front with some hazelnut, midpalate is spicy and alcoholic. Finish is a bit like spicy grapes. Lingering bitter yet floral cookielike malt on the tongue. The fruity character dominates here and the alcohol is too much. Tastes like an ordinary bock that happens to have the alcohol kicked up to near eight percent. Needs a lot more malts to balance it out.

Nice medium to heavy body, tad heavy on the carbonation but it feels pretty robust. This seemd somewhat tasty at first, but drinking this bottle is more than enough.

Autumnal Fire from Capital Brewery