Wild Rice | Capital Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by Winter on 05-02-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.33/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Ultra clear yellow, looks just like any macro lager.

S: None. Seriously, maybe just a whiff of grain.

T: Grainy, sweet malts, some honey. Slight taste of a hop or two at the back.

M: Light, very crisp. Refreshing as heck.

D: Decent on the "D". This thing REALLY tastes like a Kolsch to me, not like the "herbed/spiced beer" as titled on BA. I need to visit their website and research this beer. If it's there, I'd buy it.

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a crystal clear dark gold, with a smooth, creamy, white head. Smells sweet and bready, almost like cake. Definitely smells a little like wild rice, especially as it warms. Taste is sweet and malty. I assume that this is a lager with some rice added, but the beer isn't listed on the brewer's website. It sure tastes just like an all-malt lager. I don't get the spice that other people mention. Mouthfeel is excellent, very smooth and full. This would be a really great beer to drink on a hot summer day, maybe the best one I've come across. It reminds me of cake icing, just a little too sweet to consume in large amounts.

3.06/5  rDev -17.5%

Wild Rice pours into the glass a nice, some what light, copper color. There is a nice foamy head that last for a reasonable amount of time, with a bit of lacing along the sides of the glass. There is an odd smell, which I can't figure out: a first there is a whif of yeast, the a metallic aroma, and then what must be spice. The taste is very similar to the smell, with a metallic-spice, sensation. A pleasant enough mouthfeel, but sadly the metallic flavor lingers on the tongue. I can't say that I would recommend this as a first choice, if other reasonable options are available.

3.55/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured a clear, bright golden body with a thin white head. Aroma of white pepper, cooked wild rice and hops. Light bodied with light malt and wild rice flavors lead to a faint hop finish. This is a great picnic beer if you need something lighter. It was very good drank from the bottle as well.

3.08/5  rDev -17%

Part of a haul a buddy brought when he visited from Chicago.

Consumed 8/28/09- from notes.

Brown 12oz bottle poured into a shaker glass.

A- Clear gold with a half finger spongy white head that settled to a super thin skim for the remainder of the glass. Pretty active carbination.

S- Light fruit almost like cherries, and maybe it was my imagination leading me because of the label but I swear I got a wiff of steamed white rice.

T- Again with the light fruit, sweet malt, pretty crisp.

M- Light body. Creamier than I expected, you hardly notice the carbination.

D- Pretty easy to drink, perfect for something refreshing since I was working on the truck in the heat.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%