Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Reviews: 2,287 | Ratings: 5,236
3.26/5  rDev -22%

Served in bottle, made 13/10/2005, best before 13/10/2010

Aroma: Sweet, rosey and floral aroma. A little lavender. Inviting, smells like a shampoo fragrance. A little breadiness and lemony.

Appearance: Hazy, golden, orange with a white medium head with good retention. Appears very effervescent. A little hazy.

Flavor: Very bready malt flavor that gives way to a dry almost citrus rind flavor that lingers in the aftertaste. Some spiciness from what could be a resiny American hop. A little floral and rose petals.

Mouthfeel: A fine carbonic bite but the lemon rindish astringency detracts from what could be a smoother ale.

Overall: Nice aroma, but so much pithiness on the flavor. could age to become dry and citrusy. This is less than a year old so the best thing to do is wait.

4.44/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer was served in a tulip glass poured from a bottle. An enthusiastic head greets you initially and stays throughout the drinking experience. It has a medium orange/red color and has a slight sediment that settles quickly. The smell only hints at the complex flavor that is hidden within. Each time I raise the glass to my nose, I get something new, lots of hay and other funky barnyard smells. The taste is dry with a flowery hop flavor that dominates the musty and yeasty undertones. Overall, this is one of my favorite beers, but its price and availability in my location make it something that I have to save for special occasions.

4.59/5  rDev +9.8%

This is the beer that turned me onto Belgian beers, quite some time ago at Quinn's in Camden town outside of London.

This particular example was bottled 3/10/04, and has been kept refrigerated ever since.

Orval comes out of the bottle a creamy, light red/bronze with an insane gushing head. The beer reaches a full 4" above the glass rim with major cling and an odd set of yeast lips. Phenomenal in presentation.

Nose is strongly Brett-funked out; wood pulp, pepper, spices, rotting apples. Boozey pepper gets ground over tart, over-ripe cherries that are something akin to my conception of hops. Also slightly medicinal (band-aids).

Taste is initially peppery with barnyard funk that gets slowly filled in with the most delicious and soothing malts i've experienced; grainy bread and soaking biscuits in cider. Dry-hopping adds to already wicked dryness and drinkability.

I'd drink this by the gallon...if it didn't work out to be like $50 a gallon. I wish I could get this fresh too, as this isn't particularly fair as a stand-alone review.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

I don't like this beer much in the US but was told to try it fresh in Belgium so I did, and I agree that this is a good tactic. I found it better, more complex. orangeish color with big thick rocky head. smells of characteristic Belgian hops, dry and a little austere, also with some yeast. juicier and more complex flavors. good hops.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The appearance is auburn with lots of head, however less head than many other Belgian beers. The aroma is vivacious and suggests grain. The mouthfeel is full bodied and the taste is very enjoyable. Wheat is evident on the mid palatte and the aftertaste is mild. There isn't any evidence of yeast after pouring the bottom of the bottle into the glass... I was a little surprised. This is a good beer and is fairly complex.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

Dark ruby in color... large bubbles with some excellent stick. Nice head.

Some tiny bit of floaties in the beer... otherwise, cloudy.

Smells malty, yeasty, grassy, bannana, manure-like at times...

Malty and fruity tastes.. yeasty with lemony citrus tones... very bread-like.

Absolutely Excellent.

This ale pours with with a very thick and creamy head and is dark amber in color toward the top and fades lighter at the bottom of the glass . Very hop-driven, fruity, spicy and the alcohol is very present. The taste is nothing that I have ever experienced from a Trappist ale. Good but not the best I have had. The mouthfeel has an acidic feel to it but overall this is a solid ale.

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

My bottle of Orval has a bottled on date of 24/06/2005 (dd/mm/yy) and a best before date of 24/06/2005. Pours a cloudy orange red with a voluminous white head. That has fairly good staying power that leaves an island of foam in the middle of the glass. Aroma has some sour gueze-like notes with some spiciness and mustiness as well. Taste is bone dry and I mean bone dry - think of the driest champagne you've had, and multiply it by ten. Not sour tasting at all, but with a peppery finish. As it warms up I get some more fruitiness. Now I'm thinking that I've served this a bit too cold. Very highly carbonated. A one-of-a-kind beer.

4.8/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought at the Acme on Market street in Akron Ohio. On sale for $4.50 a bottle.

This is truely the champ -pagan (For you Futurerama fans out there) of beers. Because that is what it smells and tastes like. A thick creamy head was overfilling my glass before I even got to the half way mark. (And yes I was properly pouring it.) After letting it settle a bit I poured the rest of the bottle in my glass and took a look.

It had the color and consistancy of grapefruit juice. Just a beautiful looking beer. There were grape, sugar, and a champagne notes in the nose. I knew this was going to be a very complex beer and I had not even taken the first sip.

Taste: Champagne, grapefruit mixed in with a bit of spice and tartness that provided the beer with a slight kick. I said it before but this is not beer. It cannot be beer. But here it was. What a great experience.

Notes: Creamy, consistent and just a pleasure to drink. I am sorry that there wasn't more when I was finished with the bottle. But every good beer is like that. Hopefully I will get to experience this great brew again.

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

This beer poured a light amber color with a thick and foamy head. It had a good strong bitter aroma. The flavor supprised me, it as very complex, with hints of fruits and spices, over everything there was a very bitter and earthy taste that I found overpowering and which hurt this beer's drinkability significantly, not waht I expected at all. maybe I should try this one again on the chance that I got an odd bottle. im not certain what to make of this beer in general.

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%

This beer pours a cloudy light brown withan off white head. The head is very thick and fluffy. It fades slowly, leaving thick laces.

This beer has a very spicy aroma. It is also quite yeasty and earthy. It has a pleasent lemon aroma also.

This beer has a spicy flavor. Coriander, and pepper. It has a citrus tart flavor to it. It has a slight hoppy flavor. It is slightly sour.

This beer is very crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth leaving a citrusy spicy aftertaste. This beer is highly caebonated, going good with the style.

I think this beer would make an excelent session beer. The mild, great flavor wont get old any time soon. Also, the alcohol content is low enough so you should be able to enjoy a few. Great beer. I will definately get it again.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

Nice coudy golden amber with a tight, lingering head. Nice lacing. Smells fruity, yeasty. Tastes great. Sweet/Sour, orange zest, biscuity, slight apple notes. Smooth and creamy/buttery. This is good beer. As good if not better than any trappist ale Ive tried. Great bitter fruity aftertaste. Alcohol didn't show itself in the taste.

World class.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Red-Copper color, huge tan head, excellent retention, semi-hazy.

S: Tart and funky fruit aroma, very lemony/citrusy. Definitely some awesome sweaty goodness.

T: Dry and musty, decently tart with a lingering sharpness on the tongue. Lemon fruit dominates

M: Not heavy in body, the carbnation is strong, almost too foamy on the tongue, but decent.

D: It took me awhile to get used to this beer, but now I can definitely enjoy the tart brett flavor it presents.

4.2/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a clear orange/amber color with a fluffy one inch head. A stream of tiny bubbles rise to the surface of my glass, which looks very inviting. The flavor is spicy and peppery with notes of lemon zest and hops. There was also a sour note to this beer that was not overwhelming at all, but that balanced the sweetness of the malt. I had this beer several years ago and I don't remember it being this tasty and complex. Maybe my tastes have changed. It's an original and is completely different from any other Trappist beer.

3.43/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Pours an off-white, two finger head that decreases to a thin film with plenty of lacing sticking to the sides of the glass. The beer is light copper-orange in color with vigorous carbonation and some murkiness.
S: The scent is somewhat difficult to characterize, along the lines of acidic, ripe pears and apples attached to a sweaty-saltiness that brings to mind beef jerky or tanned leather.
T: Orval boasts an upfront burst of peppery and salty flavors (that I'm not terribly fond of) that cascades into a light, flowery hoppiness, eventually fading out with some mild malt sweetness and robust hop bitterness in the finish. The hops are not citrus-like, as in some other beers with noticeable hop presence. Aftertaste is somewhat malty and fruity, faintly like old berries on hot cereal.
M: Light body with active carbonation leads to a 'fluffy' feel on the tongue. Dry, tart finish that is far from puckering, though. The dry finish does not necessarily lead one to desire another swig: the spicy-salty taste combination is somewhat off-putting.
D: A solid example of the style, with its unique hop characteristics and multi-faceted malt tastes leading to something I have not experienced before.

3.76/5  rDev -10%

Pours rich amber with massive head. Did not require an aggressive pour to create a thick blanket of foam. The aroma is amazing very spicy and kind of floral. The taste is drier than I would expect from the aroma but very pleasant. Inhaling the aroma while sipping maximizes the effect of the sweet spiciness. The taste is also kind of sour with a lot of carbonation. This is a drinkable beer but the cost will prohibit most people from drinking a lot of them.

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

A - Caramel colored with a nice head that is slow to dissipate leaving some delicate lacing around the glass. Some small flecks of dark brown sediment were floating in the glass. *Edit* Second bottle gave me no sediment.

S - Faintly of pine hops and then there is something else. It is almost an adhesive smell like carpet or apolstry, somehow it works though. From that description it sounds like it would be nauseating, but it isn't.

T - Gumball, bitterness, but it doesn't taste quite like a hoppy bitterness, a little peppery. It is a faint flavor all around.

M - Okay, it is smooth, slightly refreshing with a medium viscosity.

D - I liked Orval. Without the monster pricetag I'd probably buy it a lot more often. Went well with the moldy cheese I ate with it.

3.15/5  rDev -24.6%

Had the bottled version of this in a beer tasting event. It pours a creamy looking light caramel color with a good head and lacing. It has a musky nose. The flavor is a smooth fruity to fermented fruity flavor, maybe a hint of orange rind. It has an odd bitter finish to me. Something is missing in this beer, it seems a bit unbalanced to me. Not bad overall and I would drink it again especially with a good Belgian dish.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

33 cl. bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Light brown color, with huge champagne-like bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. Huge head like ice cream that forms craters inside the glass as it dissipates, and huge clumps of lacing stick crazily.

Smell: Malt and and candy sugar, some peppery spice, citrus zest, flowers, big Belgian yeast, vinegar, fruitiness, and vanilla. Lots of stuff going on, and it gets better, of course, as it warms.

Taste: Not as balanced as I wanted it to be. The bitterness seems to be at the forefront way too much. It's yeasty, spicy, a bit fruity, but by the end it remains pretty hoppy or bitter for some reason. How much hops could be used here? Kind of weird to me in a way. But as it warms the complexity shows itself, as it gets moderately sweeter and fruity and lingers on the tongue. I just wish some of the aromas came out more in the taste better.

Mouthfeel: Slightly creamy, moderately medium in body, with a nice carbonation punch toward the end of the swallow to balance everything out.

Drinkability: I guess maybe I expected much more, considering it's a Trappist, and also that it's around $5 a bottle. Still really good, but I don't know if I'm going to be in a huge hurry to buy it again. Give it a shot, though. I'm glad I finally got to try it.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a hazy pale orange with a thick billowy head that peaks over the rim of the glass like the mountains to the west. The off white head leaves nice lace on the glass.

There is a sour note to the aroma that is joined with citrus and spice.

The taste is tart and rich--like biting into a meaty lemon. Not a bad sensation. A touch of sweetness finishes the taste.

This is a remarkably smooth beer to drink. It is soft and pleasant in the mouth. It finishes dry and bitter but leaves me wanting more.

A nice beer that is worth trying again.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

12/31/05- Purchased at Weimax Liquors in Burlingame, CA.

Presentation- 11.2oz funky and cool shaped bottle. Bottled on and best by date on the neck of the label. Poured into my Duchesse chalice.

Appearance- Golden in color with a cloudy haze. Larger spritzy off white, maybe yellow in color looking full 3/4 inch head. Great lacing left behind as I drink the last drop in the glass.

Smell- Lots of sweet and sour spices with a barnyard type scent. A tad musky. Maybe some citrus notes such as lemon rind noted.

Taste- More sour than sweet. A really hefty amount of citrus with lemon rind being the foremost. White pepper and other spices fill the void with some powdered sugar to round out the sweetness.

Mouthfeel- Well carbonated...very Duvel-esque. Almost like a kind of champagne. Very puckering and drying.

Drinkability- Because of the carbonation level it's a tad less drinkable for me, but not because the flavor was bad. Orval brings back nice memories as it was the first Belgian beer I ever had back in 2002. I remember liking it then, but I don't remember it tasting like this. Guess my pallete has really grown from 3 years ago.

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

Has a beautiful thick head that resonates a hoppy sweetness. Has a nice caramel color with hints of amber. A very strong lacing. Tastes hoppy, but without strong aftertaste. A new taste for me. Can't figure out quite what it is. My first thought was hints of raisan. Has a nice frothy feeling to it, with fruity undertones of lemon and orange.

Pours a fairly dark cloudy orange, very warm and with glinting sunlight coming through. The head is massive, and so thick that it almost feels like cotton candy. Leaves incredible rocky lacing all over the sides of my chalice, and maintains a thick covering over the surface for as long as the beer lasts. Aroma is insanely complex. Subtly alcoholic, which surprised me given its fairly modest ABV. Spices and breads are the dominant aromas. Lots of fruits, ranging from the very dark (raisins and plums) through the light and delicate (apples and bananas), with citrus and gloriously rich sweet malts. Incredible. Tastes bready, musty notes of brett and wild yeast. Spicy as well, cloves and pepper in the mix, with lots of fruits (banana and orange are predominant) as well. Long and sour finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and nicely carbonated. Full and very warming, superb. Drinkability was incredible for a trappist. I wanted to keep drinking these all night. Nothing warms me up quite as well on a snowy night as Orval does. Gets better every time I have it, and is now one of my absolute favourite beers of all time. Flawless.

3.63/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured from a 33 cl. bottle.

Appearance: Deep amber with a nice half inch head.
Smell: Very spicey and grainy smell.
Taste: First one gets a slight honey flavor followed by malts and then a overpoweringly bitter taste.
Mouthfeel: A bit over cardinated, moderate body.
Drinkability: Just too bitter, I cann't see myself downing two of these in a row.

Overall: As I stated above this beer was just too strong and bitter, which was surprising considering how sweet it smelled. Maybe giving it a couple of years in the cellar would have mellowed it out and made it more enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a nice deep amber with little head and a little lacing. Smell is aromatic, smells like Oregano, interesting. Taste is smooth, little bitterness and an aroma of cloves. Mouthfeel is not too bad, a little alcoholic but still goes down alright. It's not something you want to take big gulps from, but it isn't too bad and is worth having again.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.