Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Reviews: 2,320 | Ratings: 5,323
3.73/5  rDev -10.8%

A: Prototypical belgian head...barely off white full of creamy bubbles two fingers high. The body is a cloudy maroon color with lots of little bubbles steaming from various locations on the glass.

S: Oak, soury pungent, clove like yeast, honey, floral and some citrus.

T: One of the more confusing beers on the market. Surprises around every corner. Begins very biscuity, earthy. Very dry, almost salty. Bready flavors then slink towards a more grain/wheat flavor. Bittering hops make a play and finish the palate with an extremely dry complexity. Not as sour as the nose would lead you to believe. Aftertaste is somewhat grainy.

M: Medium to full body with the classic Belgian carbonation.

D: In a blind taste test this beer could pass for a saison, easy. This beer is a trip.

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

One year to the date on BA so I figured I'd write my first review to celebrate.

Bottled on: 11.18.2003
Best before: 11.18.2008
Label says 6.9% ABV, not 6.2%.

Into an Orval goblet, the pour results in a hazy, bright, and golden appearance...inviting. Big bubbly head that faded somewhat fast without leaving much lace.
The smell is intriguing. Sweet and sour apple, and yes, the hay and barnyard animal is evident.
Tastes tart and finishes with the hay. Not as sweet as I expected or wanted, but still very good.
The dryness seems to linger forever.
I found this very drinkable, and could drink this year round.

A unique, intriguing, complex beer. I would love to try this fresh.

4.42/5  rDev +5.7%

A- nice coppery color, frothy head that was slow to dissapate, good lacing
S - Fruity aroma, light hoppy smell as well
T - sweet, a little hoppy, the fruity taste reiminded me a little of apples
M - nice carbonation, with dry nice feel
D- Very drinkable, smoother than some of the stronger belgian ales, which can really be viewed as a plus or a minus I felt it complemented the taste, goes down lightly

3.24/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a hazy, dark, copper-amber with a dense foamy head. Tons of bubbly lacing which fell nicely along the glass.

Smell consisted of intense yeast, hops and alcohol.

Taste was sharp. Very sour on the front end. Hoppy with hints of citrus and mild spices. Alcohol flavor was overwhelming and unexpected (seeing as this beer was - according to the bottle - only 6.9% ABV). Huge, hoppy, bitter aftertaste.

Dry mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Highs: Appearance, flavor
Lows: None

Pours a coppery orange brown with no bubbles beneath a thick whitish-tan head. Fades slowly away leaving good heavy lacing on the wine glass. Nose is quite unusual… asparagus? Dusty? Yes, I was surprised to find others describing this one as “dusty,” but there you have it. Taste is in the same vein. Initially, it’s semi-sweet, rapidly turning dry. There’s a definite sour fruit flavor, something like sour grapes or wild grapes such as muscadine. It’s tart, sour, and a bit oaky. Finishes very crisp and dry, almost like a clean red wine. Mouth is watery, fairly bubbly/sparkling, but borderline thin. Drinkability for me is not so great as I am not a fan of sour beers, but if you don’t mind the taste, it’s probably quite drinkable.

Overall: Definitely an unusual brew, and one that not everyone will enjoy. However, it’s well put together and definitely worth a try.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

This is great ale. I could drink this all night and I have an idea it is a step higher on draft. It poured so well into a fat ivory head, at least 3" tall, before settling in parts, but never really going away. The amber red body had that familiar shake of its tail before my first taste exploded with unusual qualities of bitters, dryness, and light fruits. The taste lingered long after I put the glass down to note various flavors as well as the alcohol content.

This Trappist ale would be superb with broiled or bbq'd pork chops and a little apple sauce on the side.

While I have been rating beers for only a short time, I have been DRINKING beers of all kinds for 35 years. The taste and finish was so good, that I refrained from drinking or eating for a long while after, to make it last. I plan to try another Orval some time soon to make sure I am consistent in my opinion, but as of right now, I have to say that Orval is the best beer I have ever had.

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottled 5/11/05; Best before 5/11/10
Labeled as 6.9% ABV

A: Pours a hazy copper with a massively huge foamy head. The head subsides into a thick dollop of foam on top, leaving lots of lacing.

S: Unlike most other Belgians that I've had. Aromas of tropical fruit and candi sugar.

T: Somewhat hoppy up front followed by minty flavors and a spicy finish. A very unique taste that I can't get enough of.

M: Medium-full bodied with tons of carbonation.

D: Defnitely the most unique of the Trappist beers that I've had to date, and my favorite, I think. The carbonation is a bit rough on the palate, but otherwise, this is a fine brew.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

Bottled on 6/24/2005 so almost it's first birthday.

Pours with a big fizzy head, very clear (first pour was clear but clouded up on 2nd pour due to yeast), beautiful orange tinted color. Aroma has distinct sour and slightly funky belgium smell. Complex blend of fruity esters with clove and raisins.

Dry mouthfeel (almost powdery), high carbonation and a tart dry finish. Crackery aftertaste.

Taste is tart apples, strong clove, spicy, and dried fruit.. Kind of crackery malt flavor leaves a very strange feeling in your mouth. I actually feel thirsty!

I've had this beer a few times and always enjoy it. Flavor is a bit different from other trappists but mouthfeel definately can be a little distracting. Still it is a trappist ale with a very nice flavor and aroma.

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured into an Orval chalice.

A-Orange beer, beige head, murky with small yeast chunks. Looks pretty damn good sitting in the old Orval chalice, yup. 1/2" head settles to 1/4" in a minute. No lacing.
S-Enticing sourness in the aroma. Some alcohol, too. Kinda like a cologne made with dried orange peels.
T-Well hopped, nice bitterness, earthy, a bit sour, but most of all dry. Dryyy in a real good way. The yeast has a peppery spicy flavor to it, and the drying alchohol finish and the "Orval burps" that result make this one of the most unique brews to ever cross my path, lips, palette, etc.... This beer blooms as it warms, of course, and in my experience with this beer, no two sips are the same, and no two bottles are identical. What a chameleon! I find this beer hard to describe, actually, as words like "dust" and "dirt" and "Musty like an old mansion" keep entering my skull as I'm drinking....
Final yeast pour turned the last inch of beer to mud; a tasty mud, though.
M-This particular bottle had an over-ample, fizzy, champagne-like carbonation that I hadn't noticed before in previous bottles. Light body.
D-Unusual beer to say the least. When I have it with dinner, I tend to forget what I'm eating and dwell on this perplexing beer...is this good? Healthy?

CRUX: UNIQUE AND FASCINATING BELGIAN BREW HERE. Each bottle is an aesthetic experience: well worth the sample. I can remember having better bottles of this brew in the past, so I'm looking forward to my next encounter with this brew already.

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured an orange amber with a massively thick 3 finger head. Remind me to be less agressive next time.
Aromas are fresh, light fruits and candy...oranges, tangerines..sweet citrus and a touch of melon.
<still waiting for the head to die down a bit so I can taste it>
Ok...10 minutes and I'm now stirring the top with my finger to kill some of the foam.
Taste is extremely dry citus peel. I've never tasted a beer as dry as this. This could very easily substitute for a dry white wine yet with much more flavor and depth.
Mouthfeel very creamy with the tiny carbonation that almost keeps your tongue from touching the roof of your mouth. Almost creamy.
Very dry refreshing beer.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2/2005. Pours an orange/amber color with a magnificant looking head that leaves beautiful lacing. The aroma is floral, sour and bit spicey. Taste is dry and crisp that is highly carbonated, spicey, grassy and tart. This has got to be one of the dryest tasting beers I have ever had. While it is a good beer, I admit that it is just not my thing. It was just a little too dry for me and I didn't particularly enjoy the earthy/grassy taste.

4.68/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I originally reviewed this just over nine years ago, let's see how my tastes have changed. New review July 10, 2015. Bottle dated 11/14 and poured into an Orval chalice. Dark golden-brown and a big, frothy, and long-lasting off-white head that leaves thick sheets of lacing along the glass.

Aroma is a nice balance of hops and yeast. Bright fruity esters and a nice floral Continental hoppiness. Subtle biscuit malts and a touch of funk and crisp tartness. Citrus and tropical esters.

Flavor is very hop-forward despite its eight months of age. Grassy, floral, and peppery. Candi sugar and typical Belgian fruity yeast also adds to a caramel maltiness. What really makes this beer unique is the perfectly-implemented level of Brett funk, which is assertive but far from overpowering. Ever-so-subtle light acidic tartness on the finish. Excellent balance.

Medium bodied and with a quite creamy mouthfeel, but doesn't feel too full. Crisp and refreshing finish.

I haven't had this beer in years, and that's a damned shame. Even in today's over-saturated craft market, this thing is still a world-class beer. Even better than I remember from my first ancient review of it.

(Original review: 6/16/2006/Rated 4.03)
Bottle dated 10/05, so this is about 9 months old. Poured into an Orval chalice. Thick golden-brown with a huge foamy head and great retention.

Malty and fruity overtones, especially pear. Quite an alcohol scent as well, though we are approaching 7% (the site lists this at 6.2, but my bottle says 6.9).

Very dry and earthy taste. Alcohol content is evident as well, not as well hidden as most Belgians. The pears are coming through as an undertone, and it is neither as fruity or malty as the scent.

Medium-bodied. Very dry and crisp on the palate.

This is a good treat, but definitely not a session beer. Very dry and fairly high ABV. Overall I'd recommend it, but not more than one or two a night.

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Sampled at a Belgian restaurant/bar in Cape Town, I think this one has become a new favorite.

Appearance: pours a honey-amber color, good head, some lacing.

Smell: floral, fresh hops aromas - this isn't your typical Belgian! I'm surprised by how forward the hops are. There's some sweetness in here, too, but not overwhelming like some others I've had lately. Not so much else going on aroma-wise, though.

Taste: very nice and complex. Sweet at the front, then has a grassy fresh hops flavor before finishing on a fig note.

Mouthfeel: ahh, nice and dry - refreshing in a Belgian, and very unlike the others I've had recently. Carbonation is good, and the aftertaste is nice.

Drinkability: I liked this one a lot. Many Belgians are too sweet for me, but this one was dry, had a real hop presence, and was overall very drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from the 11.2 oz brown bottle with a born on date of 5/10/2005. Pours a hazy dark amber with an incredible dark white, rocky head that lasts a few minutes before receding. Sourish smell with hints of pine, yeast and bread. Taste includes all of the smell flavors with a hint of candy sugar and clove. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for a trappist, but Orval is one of the lightest bodied trappist beers being a pale ale. Drinkability is one of the best because of the light body. I have been drinking this beer for over 20 years, since it was the only one available in my area, and a wonderful consistency over that time span.

Just a thought,

barleyman

3.91/5  rDev -6.5%

Beer pours a hazy straw gold, with a thick, thick head. The head stayed with the beer throughout, leaving thick lacing on the side of the glass and chunks of foam on the bottom of the glass. The taste was good, but less than remarkable, slightly weaker than most trappists that I've had. Overall, it was an enjoyable beer. My only problem with it was the cost: I paid $5.50 for a 12 oz. bottle.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

"Bottled on 04.01.2005"

Now here we have an interesting beer...

The nose initially reminds me somewhat of a Gueuze, with its musty, candyish notes -- although of course not nearly as over the top. A dose of hop flavor and bitterness greets the palate, joined by a distinctly Belgian funkiness. The finish and aftertaste demonstrate firm bitterness, certainly more so than what we're accustomed to finding in a Trappist brew.

As the beer warms and I take more sips, Orval's flavors begin to achieve greater harmony, and the beer's bitterness and muted tartness begin to play deftly off one another, with the former stepping up in prominence. Each successive sip offers a new perspective, with spice, malt, fruit, and floral notes all taking turns.

Orval is certainly a unique beer, surprising in its flavor profile, and rewarding in its rapid evolution. I do suspect this is a beer that grows on you more and more...

4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

This pours a clear amber with a large white foamy head. The smell is pretty strong with what seems like winter spices,coriander,cinamon, and also floral scents, lemon, and pepper. The taste has a almost sour spicy flavor. Coriander. pepper, lemon, and malt are all present in this beer. The m/f is light and all the numerous flavors mix very well. A damn good beer that shouldn't be missed.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on: 07.10.2004

Beautiful clouded orange color with an explosive, rocky head of off-white foam. Very flowery smell...perfumy even, with faintly sweet dry lemon aromas and coriander - very different yet highly appealing. Complex "farm-like" fruit taste, lightly spiced yeast, phenols, some tart citrus in the middle, hay...again curiously tantalizing. Lively and soft in the mouth with a long, crisp dry finish.

This is a complex belgian for sure full of all kinds of unique floral and perfume tones. This would be a great summer beer. Two years old seems to be a fine time to be drinking this. Good stuff!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Best before August of 2009. Pours with lots of foam, some lacing. The body is orange. Nose contains barnyard characteristics, along with some dry fruitiness. Hop aroma is complex.

Taste is dry, light, and complex. Initial fruit becomes extremely dry, giving way to dirty barnyard flavors. Some lemon. Fruit returns intermittently. Some hops are noted in the dry, clean finish. Mouthfeel is full while it lasts, sterile slightly bitter finish. Plenty drinkable, I must cellar some of these for several years.

4.58/5  rDev +9.6%

Mouthwateringly fantastic appearance. Golden orange color that looks thick and full. Tornado shaped sediment spirals through the middle of my glass. Brilliant white giant billowey head rises way above the rim of my glass without spilling over the edge somehow. When the massive head finally fades a 1/4 inch layer of retention lies over the glowing beer. Not to mention lacing goes all the way to the rim.

So appearance aside, this beer has a lot more awesomeness to it. Delicious farm fresh aroma. Very very reminiscent of fresh dandelions, with a plethora of other floral aromas, dry delicious lemon and grassy hops and a hint of spice. Smells like I'm in the middle of a farm on a hot breezy summer day. Taste is nicely tart and very dry hopped. Great texture. Sour lemon and sweet floral. Complex like crazy with everlasting dryness and farm fresh goodness. Great biting dryness on the tongue, with perfect dense medium body and sharp + fast carbonation. Drinkablity is very very very high especially due to this being so yummy and sexy looking.

Awesome Belgian. I see why this brewery only makes two beers. I imagine the Petite Orval is great as well. Will need to have.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours cloudy copper with two inches of head which leaves some lacing behind as it drops to a tight meringue-like half inch. Looks to have very little carbonation.

S - Lemon, grapefruit, flowers, pepper, yeast. Complex.

T - Yeast upfront which then bursts into a bitter floral perfume which lingers long into the aftertaste along with a satisfying dryness. There's a lot going on.

M - Smooth and creamy with a low carbonation. Everything works well together.

D - I've had this once before and wasn't overly impressed. Having tried it again my opinion has changed. Very good beer.

4.18/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 4-1-05

A - 1" bubbly off-white head spread across a chalice. Falls quickly to a spotty cap. Orange / amber beer. Thin lines of lacing left.

S - Yeast. Fruit. Apricot. Clean, inviting aroma.

T - Fruity (again with the apricot). Tangy. Yeast, bready. Lingering bit of hops in the finish. Hint of a gueuze lambic-like sourness. Even a faint sherry nuttiness is apparent in spots. I haven't had Orval in years and this really tripped me out - - Very nice.

M - Crisp and dry. A little less than medium bodied with lively carbonation.

D - Very good drinkability. If only the $4.29 were for a 4pk and not for a single!! Great beer, highly enjoyable.

Bottled on 1/14/14 (2-14-2015)
Haven't had Orval since I rated it above in 2006!
Orange with a 3/4 inch head -- good retention and lacing.
Awesome funk, fruity nose...almost barnyard type of aroma in a wine descriptor sort of way.
DRY -- lively carbonation, fruit doesn't follow nose...Spicy, peppery?
Different flavors overall from what I remember.
The nose is definitely the winner here (going form 4 to 4.5...taste from 4.5 down to 4.
Interesting -- I won't wait 8 years between bottles.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

This is just fantastic. Poured a very cloudy orange colour with a bit of sediment and debris. Nice thick creamy head with sticky lacing. Smell is mild and gentle with nothing even close to over powering; notes of yeast, maybe corriander, a bit of citrus and cloves. Smells wonderful!! Taste is very strange. It seems to start out like a hefe and then radically change direction after the sip has been in your mouth for about 1.5 seconds and turn into a saison or a gueze. Mouthfeel is smooth and wonderfully carbonated. An excellent Belgian!!

-SS

3.51/5  rDev -16%

Purchased at Nuggett Market in Woodland, Ca.

Poured from bottle into a Duvel tulip. Pours a deep amber color with a hint of orange. Beer is non transparent and begins with a pillowy head that disipates down to thin layer, leaving a small amount of lacing. Smells OK. Some melon and grape tones coming through, but a little bitter. A little more and I would say the beer was skunky. Taste is better than the smell. Full of fruitiness with some clove. A little metallic flavor is happenning as well. Mouthfeel is full with a good amount of carbonation and finishes a tad dry. Drinkablilty is also good.

All in all a decent Belgian, but for a Trappist beer, I was expecting a little more.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.