Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 5,378 |  Reviews: 2,343
4.88/5  rDev +16.7%

Served at cellar temp from bottle poured into wide mouth goblet. Upon opening the bottle it hisses a very healthy carbonation and smells of yeast, lemongrass and a very clean musty attic. A clean pour with no sediment shows just how very carbonated this beer is and results with a very large head that crackles and pops receding into a great bubbling lace. A minute after the pour I put my head close to the glass and the beer is still bubbling and talking to me. Aromas from the glass are pale malt and cream. Beer drinks very dry and creamy with a bit of a pucker at the end, but not in a sour way at all. Almost like hay, dirt, mushrooms, and a very very good bread of a type that I have never had before. I am not experienced with brettanomyces but I think that is what this is and is flourishing in this beer. The beer was bottled on 29/07/2009 and that would explain this. It is all very enjoyable and makes me ponder at the end of every sip and I very much like this beer. So very smooth with no noticable alcohol. I could chug this beer if I wanted to quite easily, but that is not what I want to do. Then it would be gone and I would be sad. This beer is forcing me to enjoy it and I am sipping it slower than any beer I've had in a while. The bretty flavor stays in your mouth long after last sip is gone and that makes this beer all the more valuable. A beer that keeps entertaining the tastebuds even after it's gone. Orval trappists you have created a truly great beer and it's no wonder you only make two different beers. No need to make any more when you nail one perfectly. A 5 out of 5.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Finally got around to trying this last night. Even though this was bottled this past Spring, I wasn't worried about this being skunked. I knew that many people aged their beers and as soon as I took a whiff of this, I could tell that this was one of the few that aged well without being full of hops. Everything about this beer screamed classic and if this was available in bigger servings, I would buy some and share it with those who have yet to try it.

I loved the pour to this since I had never seen anything like it before - the hue was a light, cloudy olive to the point of being a faded amber and the head filled up the remainder of my pint glass. The aroma was complex to the point where not much stood out and the same went for the taste as well. Lots of sugar and booze to be sure but there were also notes of apricot and plum underneath. This was slightly bitter but what was there complemented the beer nicely, since it was a earthy and herbal type of hoppiness. This was full and didn't go down quickly even though it was enjoyable from start to finish.

This beer gave me the impression that was much stronger than it actually turned out to be. While the taste isn't for everyone, this has a classic appeal to it based on the cloudy hue and flavors that might not appeal to the hophead or extreme beer fanatic. The complex taste and slightly sticky mouthfeel lead to a slow session that's every bit enjoyable from start to finish. Any lover of beer owes it to him or herself to try and enjoy this!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.