Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 5,376 |  Reviews: 2,340

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Seen this gofy little bottle on the shelf for a while, though I may give it a whirl.

Poured into Duvel tulip, this is my first Belgian Pale

A- Murky orange with a huge finely bubbled head
S- Smells of bitter Pilsner , similar to Belgian IPA style beers.
T- Bitterness up front with some crazy carbonation, hard to pick out individual tastes really. These some pilsner, faint hop tastes. Nothing stands out too much and I can tell there was a lot of effort put into balancing it out and they did a good job of that.
M- This beer is so carbonated I feel like its filling my mouth with foam every sip which i am not crazy about. It doesn't over do it though, the foamy texture allows you to get a better Idea of the flavors. Leaves my mouth feeling dry.
O- I dont have much to compare it to but this is a good beer. Im having trouble picking out individual flavors and I have little grounds for comparison. Its good and I think I may develop a taste Belgian styles sometime so until then, its just good and nothing better.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

330ml bottle, poured into Leffe chalice. Dark brown colour, cloudy, 2 finger head. Had strong phenol smell, even got some hubba bubba. First mouthfull was very sweet but the bitterness increased with every sip. Tasted of roasted malts, some charcol. This beer didn't taste like other belgian beers I've sampled, I thought it was more like an ESB. Overall, looked like a hefeweizen, tasted like an english strong ale and smelled unlike any beer i've ever had. I bought a 4 pack and will lay down at least two before drinking again.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.