Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 5,360 |  Reviews: 2,335
4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Roughly 18 months old. A golden copper color of a beer with a white frothy like head. Aromas of musty basement, barnyard, some spicy hops, and many other complex aromas. Full bodied beer with high carbonation. Flavors of spicy hops, white pepper, tons of Brett flavors. Fantastic beer.

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Opens with a loud hiss. Crystal clear auburn with a 4-inch, rocky white head. Needless to say, carbonation is bountiful.

S - Beautiful barnyard funk with some light fruitiness. Musty and earthy.

T - Funk and sweet pils, along with a rough graininess. Hop bitterness, along with a delicate herbal hop flavor, balances the sweetness quite well but is not overpowering. Earthiness, leather, and musty character. Just a hint of the slightly-tropical fruitiness that I get from Brett-finished beers, finishing with more earthiness.

M - Light and crisp on the palate.

Overall - The legend lives on. Absolutely fantastic. Whenever I have a bottle, I wonder why I don't do so more often. Cheers,

4.18/5  rDev 0%

A: Wow, Pours a very nice orange with a massive 3-4 finger head, extremely foamy. I had to pour the beer over the course of a few minutes to allow for space in the glass. Great retention and left tons of foamy lace on the sides.

S: Very nice fruity aroma. I get apples immediately and some grapes, almost reminds of a white wine in a way. There is a nice floral/grassy aroma as well.

T: Again, light fruit flavors. The apples and grapes return, there is also some banana and a little bit of apricot. The flavor profile seems a bit weak compared to the strong aromas though.

M: Very smooth, medium bodied with nice carbonation.

O: The pour and aroma were amazing, and while the flavor was good, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. A very solid beer and I did enjoy it.

1.9/5  rDev -54.5%

EDIT: Original score was 4.5 / 3 / 3 / 3 / 3

Appearance - Big beautiful offwhite head with good retention. Foggy light amber brown body.

Smell - Fishy. Possibly a bad bottle? I don't know what to expect.

Taste - Sour and dry. Reminds me of a gueuze.

Mouthfeel - Okay on its own, but when combined with the taste just makes it a bit icky.

Overall - My least favorite Trappist so far. I suspect I may have gotten a bad bottle, so I'll have to give it a retry in the future.

EDIT: As promised, I gave this beer a second chance about half a year after the first review. Bottle was stamped 7/10/2010 and 7/10/2015 (I'm assuming those are the born on and drink by dates, respectively). The second time the beer was even worse, I scored it 4 / 4 / 1 / 1 / 1. The horrific fish and soy sauce characters once again return. Perhaps it's just the Texas distributor that's at fault. I'll try again in a different state. One last shot.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Poured a burnt orange with a massive head. More head than beer infact. The head fell back to two fingers and stayed one full finger for nearly the entire session. Incredible lacing.

S: Sweetness jumps out initially: figs, oranges. Nice spice and herbal profile. Like a wild field of flowers on a hot day. White bread.

T: Comes on with fruity sweetness like mild peach and green pear, then quickly passes into a long note of bread and butter. Great grassy hop profile in here. Some saltiness on the end. Very crisp and dry (read not bitter but tiddied up) finish.

M: Big and foamy bordering on chewy.

O: Wow, impressive beer. The alcohol snuck up on me because it was so easy to drink. Initially it came on sweet but that quickly ended and it was a great belgian pale ale: grassy and bready. Cant think of anything to change!

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured for the 11.2oz bottle...

A- A slightly golden hue that has an almost amber background. A solid 4 finger head that leaves excellent lacing around the glass.

S- A slight sour and citrus smell, almost like many ciders give off. Scents of what appears to be flowers are also noticeable. Rather complex and i like it.

T- A slight hoppy, flowery flavor. A little tart with some citrus rind in the finish. The flower scents appear to come out in the taste as well.

M- Very carbonated, but crisp. Lighter bodied. Almost champagne-like.

D- Rather drinkable. It is definitely an "old school" Trappist ale that seems to have never strayed from an original recipe. I like to reach for one of these every so often, not a favorite by any means, but I do like it.

Cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

11.2 oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

Pours a clear, light copper, very lively, topped by a huge fluffy white head that lasts. Loud hiss upon uncapping. Fair lacing.

Nose is bright and funky, telltale Brett. Bright lemon-lime up front, herbal, cracked pepper, hay, barnyard. Mouthwatering and inviting.

Lacks much of the brightness on the palate, replaced by a dry earthiness. Prickly and light, almost fluffy. Still funky, but not in a mouthwatering acidic way. A bit of the lemon-lime persists, but plays a small supporting role; adds enough zip and brightness to steer this beer away from being dreary. A touch of dry baking spice adds complexity.

Dry, frothy, and light-feeling. Light to medium bodied, firm-ish. Very pleasant, contemplative but not fussy.

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

A - This beer pours a very hazy orange amber color. It has a huge fluffy white head with very good retention.

S - The smell is predominant fruity/banana smells, yeast, and a bit of dry sour type aroma.

T - The taste is a little bit sweet, and the dry bitterness I picked up in the smell. Pretty bland really, mostly yeast.

M - It has a light to medium body and very high carbonation. The carbonation is very prickly, and tingles the mouth.

O - Decent beer, but won't come back for it again anytime soon.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into some kind of weird glass that happened to be around.

A: Very hazy. Almost appears to be like a homemade apple cider. A lovely amber orange. Lots of head and lots of lacing.

S: The smell has hints of banana and some definite floral notes.

T: The initial taste is very..well, I am not sure how to describe this beer. There is taste of bananas and a strange floral, lilac-like flavor. There is a good pronounced bitterness in this one as well.

M: Good amount of carbonation. The more of this beer I have the smoother and creamier it is starting to feel. The first initial sips seemed almost overly carbonated and harsh.

O: A very complex and unusual beer. I have never had anything like it, and for that simple fact, very good.

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured it from an 11.2 oz. bottle into the Orval glass. This is one beer where you really do have to have the brewery's glass to fully enjoy it.

Appears a nice cloudy coppery orange. In the Orval glass it fades from golden on the bottom up to orange and it's just beautiful. The head on this thing is massive and it requires a very slow pour. Carbonation is drifting up like mad. Excellent head retention as well.

Aroma is spicy and earthy with Bretty tones of tart cherry pie with some yeastiness. Very delicate yet extremely complex.

The taste is immediately very spicy and yeasty with classic Belgian funk, and a very distant sweetness. Finishes earthy and slightly bitter with Bretty horsehair type flavors coming out as well. I wish the carbonation was slightly less because it ends up just foaming up in my mouth when I take a sip.

Mouthfeel is pretty light, maybe a bit too much carbonation for me personally, but it's nothing to complain about.

This is one of the most unique beers around, and again, I strongly recommend buying the Orval glass so you can fully enjoy it.

4.43/5  rDev +6%

Appearance - Head of all heads. Poured slowly into tilted pint glass and turned to 90% head. Like other Belgians, the head is a pillowy, whip cream texture that you could eat wit a spoon. Murky yellow, brown wheat style appearance.

Smell - some lemon, straw and spice. Also definite funk and horseblanket.

Taste - This is very easy drinker with mild flavorings lots of horseblanket funk but perfectly balanced in all aspects and slight hop dry bite to finish.

Mouthfeel - head on lip feels like whip cream. Carbonation dances on toungue. Buttery finish. Very nice.

Overall - I can perfectly understand how this can be rated as a world class beer. I didn't give it a 5 overall, only because the color in appearance is a little off for my style of liking and the flavoring, although good in all aspects doesn't make me crave the tastes like other A+ beers I may have tried before. Excellent brew none-the-less and will drink this one as often as I can afford it.

330 mL bowling pin shaped brown bottle. Bottled 3/25/10. I've always wondered; does the purchase of beer brewed by Trappist Monks count as tithing? Can I deduct this on my taxes? I popped the cap and poured the bottle into a large wine goblet. The pour winds up being about 60% head to 40% beer but the head quickly settles to about two fingers tall. The head itself is frothy and tinted a nice khaki color. Many isolated spots of lace stick to the glass. The beer is amber colored and lightly hazy. Fairly active carbonation continues to rise.

The aroma is funky. Fruity essence of pear and apple effortlessly waft out of the glass. Pineapple is faintly noted. The mild scents of clove and cinnamon are perceivable. It really has its own thing going on. I've encountered no other beer with which to compare this aroma.

The flavor is sour and fruity. Brettanomyces has had its way with this brew and is no doubt a major contributor to Orval's complexities. The initial bite is tartly lactic in taste with a light melon tinge. It's not puckering but it is an immediate reminder that this beer is not going to appeal to everybody's tastes. Earthy malt flavors and yeasty funkiness pop up in the background but are kept in check by the initial sourness and the late coming arrival of the taste of alcohol. The alcohol is of the candy sugar fueled variety. It comes on mellow and fades with little trace. The finish is dry.

The beer is fairly light bodied thanks to a respectable carbonation level and palate cleansing dryness. For all its oddness it is actually quite refreshing and thirst quenching. Orval is one of only a handful of brews that is truly one of a kind. It is pretty much a like it or hate it affair. It is complex and challenging to the palate but also rewarding to the faithful. The bottle listed ABV is 6.9% and the price carries a premium at $5-$6 a bottle, but realistically, this isn't the kind of beer you're going to drink by the case at a party. This beer is a conversation starter that demands your full attention.

---

The Two-Schlitz ScaleĀ™: (see my profile for an explanation)
I give two Schlitz for Orval. Every beer drinker should experience this brew at least once.

2.46/5  rDev -41.1%

I was overall dissapointed in this beer because it is rated as world class.

I would rate this beer as below average espically for a belgian pale ale.

This beer really lacks in flavor, there were barely any hoppy notes and it was weak even as a belgian.

The beer did have a rediculous head that was over four fingers tall and does look very nice.

Stay away from this one, go for harpoon or ommegang for a good bpa.

4.22/5  rDev +1%

A- Poured a hazy deep yellow/gold with tons of carbonation. The head was about 4 fingers and left beautiful lacing on the glass.

S- It smells like lemons, ciders, and flowers with a slight sour funk. Loved it.

T- A slight tartness with lemons and flowers. It then finishes dry.

M- The bubbles dance on the tongue like Champagne.

O- This beer is great. If you haven't had it pick it up. It is a very old traditional beer that is very refreshing.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from bottle into a Stella Artois glass.
Beautiful hazy deep golden amber color with three fingers of dense, frothy tan head which sticks and leaves a nice, healthy lace.

Nose hints of hops and citrus, namely lemon, also a bit of sweetness you'd get from honeysuckle? Maybe one other thing I can't quite put my finger on, but it's very nice. I'd keep my nose in it all day!

Crispness of the carbonation fizzes right on the tongue, and then with a wisp of that lemony, lightly hoppy flavor. There are also light notes of honey and tart. It has a nice smooth, crisp, dry finish which would pair well with some sharp cheese.

Notes: Pale ale is just another style that the Belgians seem to get exactly right. It's not too hoppy or too bitter, or too dry. It's everything you want in a pale ale in all the perfect proportions. It is also very refreshing, and it reminds me of Spring. This is the perfect time to have one!

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a bottle into a La Trappe goblet in Ghent, Belgium.

A: Pours a one finger head of little cream but decent thickness. Nontransparent caramel brown colour. Appealing.

Sm: Cream, caramel, fruit esters. Very hoppy.

T: Fruity body, mixed well. Very sweet - maybe the candy sugar had this effect. A bit of caramel. Very hoppy. Actually quite unbalanced, which is unfortunate. Built pretty well, but not special or unique.

Mf: Very coarse and dry for the style. Poorly executed. Doesn't complement the flavour at all.

Dr: I expected a better beer. I wouldn't have another, even at Belgian prices. Serve warm.

---
My last (above) review seemed rather sparse, so I decided to re-review in more detail. I love the design of the bottle; its iconic. Brown glass bottle with branded silver colour pry-off pressure cap and understated neck label acquired at a local bottle shop and served into an Orval stem-goblet in me parents' gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given that it's a trappist brew. 6.9% ABV per the label. Bottled: 21/06/2013. Best before: 27/06/2018. No style (aside from the nebulous "trappist ale") is listed on the label, so I'm reviewing it open-ended, but as a Belgian style.

Served cold - straight from the fridge - and allowed to warm a bit over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours almost entirely head - five fingers wide out of a possible six. It's white in colour, fluffy, and has a nice even soft complexion. Airy light consistency. Head retention is great - 10+ minutes. Uneven lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes.

Body colour is a clear translucent gold/copper with orange hues. Good vibrance. No floating yeast particles/sediment is visible.

Overall, it's looking pretty good for a Belgian ale. I wouldn't quite call it unique or special, but there are no overt flaws and both the head and colour are above average.

Sm: Fragrant perfumey Belgian yeast is the first thing I notice, with a distinct funkiness, vitamins, and some biscuity character coming through quite a bit. It's loaded with fruity esters; I find orchard apple and pear, a hint of faint orange, and something approximating peach. The crisp fruitiness is marvelous. I also find Belgian pale malts, clean barley, and hay. Hop character is an enjoyable mix of floral and fruity notes.

No alcohol is detectable.

A pleasant, soft, inviting aroma of moderate strength. The yeast character is a highlight for me.

T: Fruity esters are as abundant here as on the aroma. The body is comprised of Belgian pale malts, biscuit malt, and clean barley. It's slightly starchy as well. The Belgian/Trappist yeast is marvelous, featuring some subtle funkiness as well as biscuity vitamin-y healthy qualities. Hop character is fruity as well as floral. Pleasant and enjoyable; I like it. I do have some issues with the balance; it gets a bit earthy/herbal on the climax, which doesn't suit it well.

Complex for a Belgian pale, with some decent subtlety as well. But it isn't the masterfully constructed gestalt ale I've seen so many claim it to be. Nuanced, sure, but not particularly intricate. Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour.

No alcohol or other off-notes come through.

Mf: Wonderfully soft on the palate - a characteristic I love. Near perfectly carbonated. The smoothness/wetness is thrown off by the starchiness of the flavour profile; it's almost stale. I don't know if I'd even call it refreshing. Decent thickness and body. Texture suits the taste decently, but is far from feeling custom-tailored to it.

Not oily, astringent, harsh, gushed, or boozy.

Dr: Very drinkable; I'll have no trouble killing the bottle. As much as I like it, I can't concede that it's up there with the best Trappist beers. I look forward to trying Petit Orval and to trying this with some age on it, but every time I try it I don't find it to be world class. That said, I've heard every bottle is a bit different, and that alone makes it a unique beer. I'll concede it's a classic, but I wouldn't recommend it to friends per se. I hope to visit the abbey one day and try it in its ideal setting. I could easily drink another. Certainly well above average.

It's absolutely worth trying, but let's not conflate being a classic beer with being a great one. That said, it grows on you the more you drink it. I could see myself appreciating this more and more each time I come back to it.

Low B

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%

Enjoyed at the Tigin Irish Pub in DFW airport. Pours a hazy orange golden color with a finger of off white foamy head that has good retention and a slight amount of lacing. The aroma is strong with banana, pear and orange notes. The flavor has hints of banana, clove, pear, orange peel and a slight amount of alcohol. The mouthfeel is nice and bubbly, but not too overboard on the carbonation. Overall a great beer and I'm amazed I found it in an airport bar.

2.59/5  rDev -38%

A- Cool bottle, with a little tag hawking their glassware for sale. Three fingers of head that lasted until the end. Lacing was just average. Medium copper color and slight cloudiness.

S- Very nice complex aroma of malt and hops, a little pang of things to come, with a chemical type scent.

T- Starts out perfectly balanced. The well blended flavor was unique. Then it hit, just like the nose. That slight hint of chemical. It's really the alcohol, but I was expecting balance end-to-end and l got foul aftertaste. Really a disappointment.

M-Medium body with good balance.

O- I liked everything up to the ending. When you factor in the price, for a non-happy ending I think I'll look elsewhere.

3.65/5  rDev -12.7%

Aromas begin with a clean herbal smell mixed with some lemon and honey. Has earthy notes mixed in as well that remind you of a cup of tea.
The tastes begin musty and citrusy, both orange and lemon. The yeast characteristics are prevalent throughout which keeps this beer quite dry as you initially consume and well through the finish. Bitterness is clean but also quite prevalent throughout.
Overal this beer is extremely drinkable but just not my cup of tea. Would like some more malt and less yeast flavor. The moderately high carbonation level also is a detriment for enjoying more than one of these.

3.18/5  rDev -23.9%

Bottled 7/10/10
Best before 7/10/15

Poured into snifter

A-beautiful but understated bottle conjures great expectations for this one. Huge 3.5 finger head that will not go away. Lacing ok but not as good as Duvel; too much dense foam. Medium copper brown slight cloudiness.

S- very nice and refined. Sophisticated. Meets the expecations of the visual presentation of the bottle and the pour. Bouquet had me siced up and ready to be blown away by taste.

T- a let down. balanced but boring.
Ok it's very refined and probably perfect, but you have to strain in oder to appreciate it. The well blended flavors are so weak, they have a hard time fighting the slight hint of chemical taste on the palate. The intensity of the flavors are too weak for a brew this price. Huge disappointment after such a great pour, head, and bouquet. Can get more taste from a brew at a sixth of the price.

M-actually good. Balanced.

O- Too pricey for me to buy this again. Not going to spend this much money just for 3 1/2 inches of foam and a nice smell. Duvel is nearly half the price with just sa good a bouquet and two times better/more taste. Duvel does not have as much lingering foam which is probably why it laces better than this stuff.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thank you Krista.

This brew was bottled on 4/22/2010 and it's label recommends consumption before 4/22/2015.

A - A hazy copper in my snifter topper by nearly four inches of pristine, frothy, white, enduring head.

S - Sweet aroma of Belgian yeasts complimented by rounded malts and a hint of sharpening alcohol.

T - There's a sharp and abrupt hop presence early in the sip. It's not in any way overwhelming of the flavors that follow but it has a definite presence. The malt is coarse as it evaporates.

M - The feel is light, airy and evaporating.

~ This is certainly a beer to be sought out. While its not the most difficult to find it does carry a heafty price tag. My suggestion is that you pull the trigger on one bottle and then determine if more are in order. In my opinion, I'm thinking this one is enough for me.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottled on 30/12/2009
Pours an orangish copper with nice fluffy white head. keeps its retention for most of the beer. No lacing left on glass.
Smells mainly floral to me, orange, spice
Taste is belgian hops, belgian yeast, lemon, leathery, complex spice note
Mouthfeel was rather light, pretty high on the carbonation
Overall, a fantastic beer. These Belgian Ales I am really enjoying lately. World class

4.62/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 3/25/10 ~ 1 year old ~ Poured into a chalice

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy orange color with a big creamy just off white head. Good retention, a little wispy lace.

Smell- An earthy funk fills the air as soon as you open the bottle. When you put your nose in it you get lots of lemon with some leather, tart smelling. Some light spice, a hint of yeast. The aroma is as good as it gets!

Taste- Dry throughout, somewhat musty in a good way. Slight caramel, lemon, peach, a little apple, the fruit presence gives it slightly tart quality. Grassy to dry hay, with some leather showing up on the back end. Very crisp, drying finish, lingering light fruits and leather on the palate.

Mouthfeel- Medium / light body, fairly spritzy carbonation. Dry, refreshing, champagne like. Overly drinkable.

Overall- I can't believe this is the first time I have had this beer! (Maybe it was the unassuming label) Instantly one of my new favorites. Probably the best Belgian Pale I have had.

4.68/5  rDev +12%

Pours a somewhat hazy medium amber. Medium head retention with good lacing.

Taste is balanced and well integrated. Citrusy, spicy hops well balanced with slighly caramel flavored and weakly belgian yeast tasting malt.

Good velvety mouthfeel. Overall a very feel good beer with excellent drinkability. Could drink this all night. My favorite trappist ale.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Comes in an elegant vase-like bottle with subdued label. Color in the glass is a bruised-apricot, muddled orange/brown with sparkling seafoam head.

Smell: Soft cherry overtones, with a confusing sweet spice blend that made me think of Dr. Pepper.

Taste: Distinctly tripartite. Pleasant stone fruit notes first (cherry, peach), followed next by an herbal bitterness...like nettle and dandelion greens as opposed to the usuall lemon rind. This fades into a soft, malty finish so long that it really could wake you up in the morning if you forgot to brush your teeth before bed.

Mouthfeel: Big! I so heady with foam that on first swig I almost snorted it out my nose. Full and creamy to be certain.

Overall: Delicious. Dry enough throughout to stand up to stronger cuisines, but so lingering and complex that I'd hate to spoil this three-part overture with soy sauce on the side.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.