Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 5,378 |  Reviews: 2,343

I absolutely love this beer. In the proper glass it pops with a sweet herbal, slightly sour, aroma. You won't be surprised to find the taste is the same. These monks make just this one beer for distribution. You should get a thick white head and don't be surprised to find a few floaters (tasty yeast) should you pour the full bottle as it's bottle conditioned. Enjoy.

A: poured a hazy burnt orange into my duvel tulip with three fingers of white frothy head that slims down to two fingers and. Only leaves spotted lacing.

S: plums and pineapple and bananas! Fruity and yeasty and wonderful.

T: definite pineapple and banana, belgian sugars and a little malt biscuit. There's a little bitterness that lingers towards the end.

MF: sweet medium body and very effervescent.

D: a wonderful BPA that has a great history and wonderful attributes. Its one of the easier to find trappist ales. I'll defiantly be picking this one up again.

I actually just tried this beer for the first time a couple weeks ago, so I could harvest the dregs for a saison I was brewing. The dryness and complexity blew me away. Suddenly, every beer I brew is getting Orval dregs in it just so I have an excuse (as if I really needed one) to drink more of this beer. Every store I go into now I'm picking up bottles and checking the date. This review is for the oldest bottle I have found so far. It's "bottled on date" is 5-6-2008 (day first month second). Poured into a Duvel tulip, this review is being done live.

A: A very careful pour still yields a couple fingers of buttered popcorn head. The bubble composition itself is made up of big lazy bubbles with a rocky texture on top. Belgian lacing galore is left all over this thing. The body itself is a deep butterscotch with excellent clarity. Beer does not look more tempting than this. 5/5

S: Think tart green fruits here. Green apples, pears, lime zest, muscat grapes, and kiwi (yes kiwi) are among this fruit basket. An inviting sweetness I'm going to compare to the inside of a salt water taffy shop, is lingering just behind the classic earthy aroma of the brett. Beer does not smell better than this. 5/5

T: An impact of spice to the taste buds make this all about the yeast. Peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cardomon... The list can go on and on. Dusky melon rind, bitter grapefruit pith, and avocado essence are all characteristics of what this base malt has turned into. Beer does not taste better than this. 5/5

M: A huge mouth of foam in every gulp. The swallow reveals a sawdust dry finish. It's drier than any Champagne I've had. It might be the single driest drink I have ever drank. A perfect beer for classy parties, celebrations, and weddings. I'll have to keep that in mind. Beer does not get drier than this. 5/5

O: Why oh why did I wait so long to try this out. Without a doubt one of the most unique beers I've enjoyed to date. It's also a beer I'll be returning to with some regularity. To have such a fantastic beer on the shelf of every upscale grocery store is truly remarkable. Beer DOES NOT get any better than this. 5/5

Pours a fairly dark cloudy orange, very warm and with glinting sunlight coming through. The head is massive, and so thick that it almost feels like cotton candy. Leaves incredible rocky lacing all over the sides of my chalice, and maintains a thick covering over the surface for as long as the beer lasts. Aroma is insanely complex. Subtly alcoholic, which surprised me given its fairly modest ABV. Spices and breads are the dominant aromas. Lots of fruits, ranging from the very dark (raisins and plums) through the light and delicate (apples and bananas), with citrus and gloriously rich sweet malts. Incredible. Tastes bready, musty notes of brett and wild yeast. Spicy as well, cloves and pepper in the mix, with lots of fruits (banana and orange are predominant) as well. Long and sour finish. Mouthfeel is very creamy and nicely carbonated. Full and very warming, superb. Drinkability was incredible for a trappist. I wanted to keep drinking these all night. Nothing warms me up quite as well on a snowy night as Orval does. Gets better every time I have it, and is now one of my absolute favourite beers of all time. Flawless.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.