Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 5,496 |  Reviews: 2,371

Finally, my first Orval. It's always been so readily available that I was never in a huge rush to try it. Not sure why, but it caught my eye during my last beer run, and I grabbed a bottle. Always fun to crack open a legend for the first time.

Bottled 5/10/09, poured into a tulip.

Loud hiss as soon as I start to pry off the cap, so I know this one's going to be bubbly. Absolute monstrous wall of white foam fills just as much of the glass as the beer does. The pour is a surprisingly orange-amber one. Head retention is outstanding, and the glass is completely plastered with sticky lacing.

I'm smelling a pretty good bit of gueuze in Orval...lots of tart lemon and green apple, along with some barnyard funk. The flavor is essentially the same, with a very, very dry finish. It's funny - this is one of the more complex beers I've had, yet I don't have a whole lot to say about it. It's got flavors of Belgian Pale, British Pale, and Gueuze in it, which I really enjoy. There's a mineral-like (I don't want to say metallic) taste in the finish.

Fairly light body with very active carbonation. I can certainly see Orval being an acquired taste, and probably wouldn't have liked it two years ago when I was first exploring new beers. Probably not something I'll be chasing after very frequently, but it's nice to know that it's always on the shelves.

I poured the 11.2oz bottle into my St.Feuillien snifter to find a a hazy copper body with a great deal of white foamy head. The aroma comes off as being mild, with hints of citrus, apple and a little funky yeast.

The taste was dry but with a lot of flavor, citrus upfront, dry bitterness from the hops in the middle and towards the end you get a split second feel like your are drinking champagne.

Overall a great beer, defiantly one that doesn't appeal to the masses but perfect for those looking for a solid Belgian Pale Ale.

Poured from 33cl skittle shaped bottle with a bottling date of either October 2nd or February 10th 2003. ( I can never figure out the european dating) Pours a vibrant light orange with a huge barely off white head. The head doesnt seem to stick around as other belgians. The aroma is of Hops with a bit of candy and well that typical barn scent. This one has more horseblanket, barn scent than most, perhaps because it is so young. The taste is almost pale aleish. Very hoppy at first, then it gives way to a bit of candied fruit. Not very complex at this age. I will have to get a couple to see how they turn out. The carbonation is high, but the mouthfeel is still nice. I think the carbonation helps cleans the tongue and this would be good with some fatty foods esp with the high hops at this age. Drinkability is good, the alcohol is well hidden. I will have to get a couple of these to age as I feel once they round out some more of the character will come out of this beer.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
Beer rating: 4.2 out of 5 with 5,496 ratings