Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

2.94/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Time to revisit this one.
Bottled October 2012

Standard lightly hazed honey colored ale with a huge foam cap that falls to a central dome in about ten minutes. The bubbles almost look like a perfectly toasted marshmallow. Smells of grain, hay, grass, pineapple, pear, and a little clay yeast. Flavor is bitter with a solid biscuity malt profile, some nice corn character and a hint of english cucumber muddled in there someplace. Medium on thin with nearly flat carbonation at this point and a refreshing finish. I'm torn on this beer, as I move toward more delicate beers with nuance and what I currently consider maturity in the beer - I feel like this is a good beer and understand how it's considered world class. I cannot see, however, how this manages to be a approachable beer for me, but leaves me simply empty at the end. I don't long for more, I don't take a sip and immediately want another. For these reasons I continue to steer clear of this one.

From notes verbatim on 10/28/10
A: Pale apricot ale with massive head that just keeps growing. Maybe overly carbonated? Dull clarity.
S: Lots of bretty funk. Sharp, strong, herbal. I'm fairly neutral to this one.
T: This beer is soooo bitter to me. I can't tell why. I may need to revisit this beer to make sure I'm not having an off night.
M: Very carbonated. Medium body ale.
D: I struggled to finish this beer. This makes me wonder if I simply got a bad bottle, or maybe I just am having an off night. But this is horrible.
3.5/3/1/2/1.5=1.72

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Medium clarity deep orange with a huge white head and excellent lacing.

Aroma: Medium intensity brett funk. Character of cherry pie, and barnyard mostly.

Flavor: Light grainy malt character and grassy hop. Yeast is more muted than it is on the nose, but does give off character of farmhouse funk, slightest acidity.

Mouthfeel: Very light and extremely effervescent. Super drinkable.

Overall: A classic, and one of the giants today's brewers stand on the back of. One day I'll save my lunch money and get started with a handful of bottles for some long term cellaring and verticals.

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.