Orval Trappist Ale | Brasserie d'Orval S.A.

Orval Trappist AleOrval Trappist Ale

Brasserie d'Orval S.A.
orval.be

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Added by Bierman9 on 09-18-2001

Ratings: 5,389 |  Reviews: 2,346

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

Home Run.

Never had a beer with lacing and frothing head like it even remotely. Tiny bubbles run high up to upper sides of glass when poured trapped by thick cream colored head.
This "Authentic Trappist" brewer sets itself apart (far apart) from it's fellow monks at the other monastaries that brew the Belgium classics.

Orval I see now brew a 2nd beer but they will always be the best imo because they've been brewing only one for so long so I won't bother to try a cash grab second beer.

If I were to die someday on a porch or watching a game, this is the beer I would want in my hand. Crafted by pure souls/nature ingredients to send me to heaven...well hopefully to heaven hehe.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

This one was a gusher, probably from the brett.

A - great looking beer, huge thick foamy head that dies down to frothy lumps on top of the beer. Laces the glass well. Beer is a nice hazy orange.
S - Nice sour, funky, bread smell, lemony.
T - Also sour, funky, bread taste. Biscuit, lemon, pepper.
M - Light to Medium mouth feel, alc completely covered. Dry finish.
O - Great beer, different from pretty much anything I've tried. Reminds me of a beer my grandpa used to drink, from Sraub Brewing Company in PA. The beer used to come in brown boxes and

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle, age uncertain but probably fairly fresh based on published taste descriptions of younger samples. A burnished copper color with a vast quantity of off-white lacey head. Aroma is a potent mix of pear, fermented white grape, citrus notes, some mild peppery spice. The head itself is acrid and bitter, tasting of burlap sack and wood char. Maybe let this settle out and then sip the liquid. The latter recalls lemon meringue pie, pears and apples, figs, a little white wine, aromatic brown spice like nutmeg or calamus, with a bone-dry finish that leaves echoes of barnyard funk and wine cask. Some complain of excess carbonation but I did not notice this. A complex and polarizing beer that stands apart from other Trappist beers and actually captures the monks' intent to create something that is not overtly malty or sweet. Some pine resin results from dry hopping but does not overwhelm the other flavors. Deserves its reputation and truly unique.

4.93/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a stemless wineglass from the 12 oz. bottle.

Bottles on 7/3/13, best before 7/3/18. Making this the youngest Orval I've tasted. The hops are much more forward in an un-aged bottle.

a: Copper with 3 finger effervescent head, very nitro/Guinness like.

s: Spicy, apricot and something very familiar that I can't quite place.

t: Huge carbonation, Spicy, yeasty notes. Tart, but less barnyard brett flavor from recent bottling date. Lots of complexity from much more upfront hops than any other trappist brew. Completely unique experience .

m: Full, thick and highly carbonated.

o: Completely unique, on of my favorites.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle dated 8/30/2012 into a snifter. Second time I've tried this, first was a drain pour. My tastes weren't as sophisticated when I last tried it, so I figured I'd try it again.

Appearance: Huge, persistent, thick creamy off-white head. Really persistent, this thing isn't going anywhere. Dark amber liquid, lots of lacing.

Smell: Lots of brett, a bit of sour, perhaps a bit of balsamic, some alcoholic heat in the nose too. This is beautiful.

Taste: Note: Don't lick up the head. It's bracingly bitter without any redeeming flavors. Actual Taste: Brett, a hint of lemon sour. The alcohol comes through a bit, but not overwhelming. Reminds me more of a saison than a Belgian Pale, probably because of the lightly sour brett. A barely bitter after taste, a crisp malt on the finish too. Much tastier than I remember it being. Head is still present halfway through drinking the beer, ridiculous.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy texture. Not a whole lot in the way of carbonation, this is very drinkable.

Overall: Much better than I remember. When I can't get any Saison Brett, I'll probably turn to this for my Brett fix.

3.61/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - holy carbonation! Lots of head a lacing on this orange caramel beer

Smell - this one has so much going on. I smell pear, pineapple, citrus and tartness

Taste - unfortunately I feel the taste is what brought this down. I have an off flavor in my mouth from all the carbonation. Lots of tartness

Mouthfeel - smooth and carbonated

Overall - this beer changed quite a bit as it warmed up. The off taste was off putting, but great smells

Orval Trappist Ale from Brasserie d'Orval S.A.