Blueberry Vs Blackberry

From:
Kent Falls Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States
Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Blueberry Vs BlackberryBlueberry Vs Blackberry
Notes: 20bbl batch aged for 2 months on 1200lbs of Connecticut blueberries and 300lbs of Connecticut blackberries.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 23 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
2.1/5  rDev -40%

500 mL bottle. Deep purple body with a small pinkish purple head. The smell is pretty close to acetone. Vinegar and nail polish remover than gets pushed aside by a strong fruit aroma. Yogurt behind it. Tastes better, but still too intense. Lots of yogurt, berries, extreme sourness. Yeesh. High carbonation. Medium body. Difficult to drink. I expected much worse when I got the acetone in the nose, though.

3.92/5  rDev +12%

I think the bad reviews might be from people not expecting this to be a sour.

It's puckeringly sour , much more so than the sours I have had from Kent Falls in the past. I think that's a good thing. It counteracts the sweetness from the fruit perfectly. No grain or hop flavor to mention, which is exactly how this type of beer should be. I enjoyed it and would recommend, as would most people I have talked too.

Maybe there was a few bad bottles floating around? Untappd seems to love this beer as well.

2.92/5  rDev -16.6%

Poured from a bottle into two tulip glasses. Taken straight from a ~45* fridge and poured a dark ruby red color with minimal head and small bubbles.

First smells on this beer was pure red wine vinegar. The vinegar nose was so overwhelming and offsetting that I almost didn't want to try this beer at all. There was absolutely no fruit scent in the nose that I could detect which was a major disappointment.

The taste on this beer was a source of a lot of confusion for me. The red wine vinegar was there at the front but the back end was fruity, akin to over ripened and soft blue berries. This beer got better as it warmed up a bit and I got through it, became more and more fruitier and enjoyable towards the end. Mouthfeel was clean and bubbly, enjoyable overall.

Overall, I don't know where I stand on this beer. I love Kent Falls and enjoyed every single one of their offerings and was really exited to try this out. Upon first opening I was hit with a huge vinegar wave and immediately turned off from the whole beer. At that point I was not expecting to enjoy or finish this beer, although towards the end it got noticeably better. Not sure what was going on with this one but the lack of fruity nose and over powering vinegar smell really turned it off for me.

1.67/5  rDev -52.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Picked up at a farmer's market. Shared with JLindros.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a night a nice clear purple hue with a nice thin head and light halo.

S - Aromas of malt vinegar, diacetyl, buttered popcorn, oak, very very faint berry notes.

T - Taste is just awful. Huge vinegar acetone notes followed by immediate buttered popcorn, aka diacetyl. Horrible. Completely destroys the fruit. Holy cow.

M - Mouthfeel is brightly carbonated, sharp, slimy diacetyl.

O - Overall this was almost comically bad. How you can have acetone and diacetyl in the same beer is baffling. On top of that, 1500lbs of fruit got destroyed. Again, how is that even possible. I can only hope I got a bad bottle...

Serving Type: bottle

1.7/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.25

Thanks to rudzud

Light fizzy head, dark blueberry reddish almost black color.

Nose loaded with acetylalahide and paint thinner, some diacetyl, buttered popcorn thing, glue and vomit stomach acid, big malt and red wine vinegar, so much vinegar, maybe a touch of blueberry on there.

Taste, I'm so afraid, isn't much better, butter up front, big diacetyl, then loads of vinegar, malt and wine vinegar, with some terrible paint thinner notes, acetone, into more buttered popcorn, very little blueberry although it increases as it goes.

Mouth is thin, plenty of carb but tingly burning acetone and vinegar as well as slimy diacetyl.

Overall this is impressive how terrible this is, how do you get both acetone/vinegar AND diacetyl, it's like they practiced to be terrible, I couldn't even try to make a beer this bad, congratulations!

Blueberry Vs Blackberry from Kent Falls Brewing Company