Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

A Hop And A Dream - Topaz DIPA | Steady Habit Brewing Company

Reviews by shigg85:
3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.38/5  rDev +5%

New beer, fresh growler fill, let's go!

Look: Light copper/orange with a persistent white head and fantastic lacing. Pretty good clarity here too, which is rather unlike Steady Habit with their extra pulp OJ brews.

Smell: Delicious peach with some herbal overtones. It's not jumping out of the glass and filling the room like SHBC's other beers, but what's here is pleasantly complex.

Taste: Ah, this is interesting. Flavor begins peachy tropical, backed up by some caramel malt, then shifts towards floral & herbal flavors on the finish. IMO, Topaz works much better in conjunction with other hops (e.g. SHBC's Our Daily Bread & Two Roads' Lil' Heaven), but this is quite a unique beer. The flavor grows on me as my palate acclimates. The great thing about this and the rest of SHBC's beers is that it finishes dry and perfectly prickly. 8.2% ABV and you can't even tell.

Feel: Dry and prickly, definitely in line with the other superstar SHBC beers. Not much to say here, these guys know how to nail mouthfeel.

Overall: AHHAD Topaz DIPA is a skillful effort and an interesting and unique beer. Not too many breweries make Topaz single hop beers, so this is definitely one to seek out for that opportunity alone That said, I think that Steady Habit uses this hop much more effectively in Our Daily Bread in conjunction with Citra and Galaxy.

I will definitely get this again and again as they dial it in, but my #1 is definitely still Our Daily Bread.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A gentle pour reveals a light amber ale with minimal head. Almost clear. Light stickiness which persists.

Smells of cantaloupe and tropical fruit backed up with some malt sweetness. Floral hints.

Taste follows, with a strong apricot note, some caramel malt and a hint of orange, though I wouldn't call it citrusy. Some alcohol and flowers as the malt fades.

Very creamy off the bat then a small pop from the carbonation, finishes dry but not puckery.

I've never had Topaz straight up before... I love the chance to learn a new hop. One wouldn't mistake it for a mainstream US hop, and I suspect that I would have rated it higher had it been more familiar.

4.74/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.06/5  rDev -2.6%

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A Hop And A Dream - Topaz DIPA from Steady Habit Brewing Company