Mill Street Vanilla Porter | Mill Street Brew Pub

Style: English Porter

Added by Viggo on 12-12-2009

3.6

3.64/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.32/5  rDev +20%

3.34/5  rDev -7.2%

4.4/5  rDev +22.2%

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my faves. I don't live far from this brewery , they have their own pub on site, this is the best one they have on tap, straight form the source.

3.93/5  rDev +9.2%

440ml can.

A: Dark brown. Poured with thin head? (The previous time I had it was producing a lot of foam.)
S: Vanilla cocoa. Hazelnut.
T: Cocoa. Low bitterness. Slightly caramel. Dry.
M: Light bodied and refreshing.
O: A refreshing porter, when I want something like cocoa/coffee but still very drinkable I might go with this.

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.87/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.53/5  rDev +25.8%

First review I've done on the site.

I bought 4 of these cans because of a previous experience that was very good. Last year was the first I had tried this beer. It was poured from a keg directly from mill st at the windsor hosted ontario craft beer festival.

Opening the can and the smell instantly brought back memories of that night at the festival.

I must say it is not 100% the same as it is from a fresh cracked keg but it is still great.

So onto the beer.

Look: Very dark brown, with a clear complexion, not cloudy, very bright khaki foam on the head.
Looks excellent in a glass.

Taste is very mild, easy to drink and carries the vanilla well as it mixes well with the hints of chocolate and hearty fullness of dark beers.
Almost no carbonation, super smooth with a thick frothy head creamy and enjoyable.
Lacks the thickness I remember from the keg.

If this beer was slightly thicker feeling or denser it would be less watery, this is my only issue with this beer.

Smell: vanilla, chocolate, very lightly hinted with fruit.

Overall, excellent an id recommend it to anyone who is a fan of dark brew or looking for a way into dark brew

9.5/10

3.6/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Here comes a nitrogen packed porter, English style (which means none of this over the top Americanization).

It pops open to a huge glass full of foam. These are always a pretty spectacular. It's dark brown, and the head dies down to a fine foam. The aroma is OK, but nothing extraordinary, just a bit of malty watery smell with some finishing hops.

The taste is slightly off. Vanilla hits right away. Once you get used to that, there is a fairly bitter sweet malty taste that takes over. The aftertaste lingers bitter sweet and that vanilla. It doesn't totally work.

This is a mild, sweet brew with nothing so outstanding that I would want to seek it out. Not recommended

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.7/5  rDev +30.6%

Poured from a 15 oz. nitro can

Beautiful not-brown color clouded with tiny nitrogen bubbles. A beautiful creamy beige head. It looks substantial.

Smells mainly of burnt sugar, in a good way, like home made candy.

This is a delicious and smooth beer! The nitrogen really makes for a creamy, easy drinking experience. I taste vanilla, and chocolate, and a bit of peanut butter. Seriously, this is like liquid Reese's cups. Delicious! You need to like sweetness to appreciate this beer, I think. There's just the faintest hint of hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel is wonderful, due to the nitrogen cartridge. Smooth and creamy and fantastic.

Overall, this is one of my favorite beers ever. It's so smooth and goes down easy. Be careful! you could chug a dozen of these and not realize it. I'll always like my hoppy IPAs, but this is like a beer treat. Beer candy? Whatever. I really like it.

4.84/5  rDev +34.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 500 ml nitro can.

L: Black brown with a beautiful brown head.

S: Dark chocolate malts with a slight hint of vanilla extract smell to it. With a small amount of coffee.

T: Smooth and creamy with a nice chocolate taste to it and a slight bitterness from a coffee taste but a nice vanilla taste that follows it threw the entire beer.

F: Very little to no carbination but from the nitro it makes the beer taste beautiful.

O: A fantastic beer and one of my favorites, will continue to buy this over and over again. Wish they sold this in a 6 pack or even more.

3.51/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.63/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Amazing beer! I liked everything about it and I cannot wait to try their stout. This is a nitro beer, so the pour is fantastic and fun to watch. The vanilla taste is distinct, but not overpowering, and there is no nasty aftertaste. This is going to be a regular for me.

3.03/5  rDev -15.8%

Love Mill St but they missed w this one

4.68/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried my first one today the employee at the store recomended I thought it was really good great flavor and smell taste like vanilla and chocolate I thought it even started to taste better when it warmed up a bit maybe thats just me to I would deff recomend trying I will be trying again real soon

3.94/5  rDev +9.4%

15 ounce can into imperial pint glass, canned on 11/14/2014. Pours fairly clear deep reddish brown color with a 2 finger dense light khaki head with fantastic retention that reduces to a nice cap that lasts the whole glass. Nice dense soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, toffee, toast, brown bread, nuttiness, cream, light herbal, light dark fruit, and yeast earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, vanilla, and light fruity yeast notes; with solid strength. Taste of big milk chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, toffee, toast, brown bread, nuttiness, cream, light herbal, light dark fruit, and yeast earthiness. Minimal herbal/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, vanilla, toffee, toast, brown bread, nuttiness, cream, light herbal/dark fruit, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice robustness, balance, and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, vanilla, and light fruity yeast flavors; with a good roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light carbonation and medium bodied; with a very smooth, creamy, and slightly bready/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 5%. Overall this is a damn nice English porter style. All around great robustness, balance, and complexity of dark/roast/bready malt, vanilla, and light fruity yeast flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

3.82/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: Dark.
S: Smells sweet. Right off the bat it's clear that the vanilla flavour is going to be prominent.
T: Very strong vanilla profile. Unfortunately there's too little of a porter profile to balance the sweetness. Still enjoyable, I don't think I'd have this one again.
M: Medium body. Creamy. The mouthfeel is probably the most enjoyable aspect of this beer.
O: Worth trying out, just don't get your expectations too high. I enjoy many of Mill Street's beers, and I enjoyed this one, I just enjoyed it less than their others.

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

3.44/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My second stop on a flavoured porter tour. Mill Street has got the nitro can thing down - this pours, looks, and feels like a Guinness. It looks great, smells like vanilla extract, and has a robust roasted malt backbone. The aroma is a bit too sweet for my liking, but it manages to complement the porter in an odd way. The mouthfeel is delightful, but the overall experience is a bit off.

3.91/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 3.75

Served from a can. (there is a small plastic reservoir attached to the bottom of the can that presumably contained nitrogen)

Lets kick things off with the smell: It has a fantastic smell. I'd say it's best trait. It wasn't the strongest scent, but smelled to me like liqueur chocolates and vanilla.

Taste: I really like it. It's quite a standard taste (balanced flavors, mostly malts?) but with the fantastic addition of vanilla flavor. Just the right amount too (although personally I wouldn't even mind more but that's my own taste). After that it transitions beautifully into the finish of a pleasant and mild wood taste (not any overpowering hops flavor nor bitterness) which just beckons for another sip like a siren's call.

Mouth feel: This is by far —in my opinion— the worst attribute going on for this beer. It was was very low in carbonation— by a soda's standards, flat. There was definitely some carbonation but it was not that noticeable without swishing. I'd rate it as low or even very low carbonation.

Other: Dark; not quite black. Tiny head of very thin bubbles. Lower alcohol than I'd prefer. Somewhat lower flavor than I'd prefer, but overall very nice. Some people —including myself— would call it watery considering the carbonation level and alcohol level, and not /very/ high flavor level, but it's nice regardless. Definitely would drink again and recommend to anyone who doesn't mind the low carbonation.

Unlike some others who still liked it, I could personally drink a lot of these at once (but I'm just not that kind of drinker usually)

Mill Street Vanilla Porter from Mill Street Brew Pub